Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Terminal 5 could house all Oneworld Flights from June

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2020, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

I have just read that Heathrow are planning to move all Oneworld airlines to T5 to join BA from next month.

This would be quite an interesting move given that the terminal swaps have already happened. How would BAs system cope with Qatar and Qantas flights? Would they go under BA operates flight numbers?
Old May 21, 2020, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I went to my usual set of credible sources (Heathrow Twitter feed, London Air Travel) but see nothing about this. Where did you read this?
Old May 21, 2020, 6:18 am
McG

Saw it rumoured on Airliners.net yesterday.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446501
Old May 21, 2020, 6:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I thought there was a problem housing any other airlines in T5 due to the work that was needed on the systems in T5 which were only usable for BA (and with some effort IB). Wasn't this part of the reason not to move any other airlines in when T3/4 were closed?

I would have thought if there was any reorganisation it would be moving more/all BA T3 flights in to T5, and that leaves T3/T2 useable for any other airlines.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
*could* but as we've discussed at length here before, there are significant barriers to doing so. Systems being one or the bigger hurdles.

With distancing still in play, I'd have thought it was better (albeit perhaps not for the airlines in terms of shared costs) to have more, less full terminals, than one very busy terminal.
HFHFFlyer, imkevinmc and T8191 like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero
I went to my usual set of credible sources (Heathrow Twitter feed, London Air Travel) but see nothing about this. Where did you read this?

I saw it on Instagram from a source who is usually very reliable. I’m not 100% sure about this though due to the issues we’ve all pointed out before.
Old May 21, 2020, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought there was a problem housing any other airlines in T5 due to the work that was needed on the systems in T5 which were only usable for BA (and with some effort IB). Wasn't this part of the reason not to move any other airlines in when T3/4 were closed?

I would have thought if there was any reorganisation it would be moving more/all BA T3 flights in to T5, and that leaves T3/T2 useable for any other airlines.
There is no "CUTE" (i.e. Common, airport-owned) equipment in T5 and, as far as I knew up until a few years ago, BA's idiosyncratic firewalls didn't like anything that wasn't 100% BA software. Hence the reason why IB's flights were treated like a BA flight operated by Iberia.

Now, Iberia has managed to circumvent that, given that ResIber (or whatever their DCS is called) is running on what I suppose are BA sets, if not landside at least airside. If it's been done for IB, it should and could be done for others, especially those OW airlines (I'm thinking CX, JL) who also run on Amadeus Altea. JFE is already available landside and airside. Are all OW airlines going to go to T5? I somehow doubt it, unless we are seeing a very long road to recovery with very low loads and flights.

Thinking out loud, having OW in T5 would also mean having non-BA staff above and, crucially, below the wing (American has its own baggage operation and Engineering, for instance) and there were agreements, way back, preventing BA from doing this. Sure, everything is up in the air right now so... never say never.
TraumaDoc and nancypants like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I saw it on Instagram from a source who is usually very reliable. I’m not 100% sure about this though due to the issues we’ve all pointed out before.
That screenshot does not appear to be in the style of Heathrow Airport; poor grammar and wrong oneworld styling. I suspect someone is playing mischief.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
that would be nice.. no more taking the bus form T3 to T5 over and over over again
Old May 21, 2020, 7:20 am

Gosh this would cause outrage amongst those whom are avid T3 lounge devotees! How on earth would they cope having to put up with the very basic First & CCR lounges?!
Old May 21, 2020, 7:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Gosh this would cause outrage amongst those whom are avid T3 lounge devotees! How on earth would they cope having to put up with the very basic First & CCR lounges?!
I cant imagine CX moving, their superior offering in T3!
worldtrav and imkevinmc like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 7:49 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
That screenshot does not appear to be in the style of Heathrow Airport; poor grammar and wrong oneworld styling. I suspect someone is playing mischief.
Indeed. With a title of 'Heathrow Airline Operation Update' they were not off to a good start either.

Tobias-UK and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Here's the official announcement!
Genius1, csutter, aidy and 20 others like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by McG
Saw it rumoured on Airliners.net yesterday.

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1446501
If the source was The Onion or Daily Mash it'd be more credible...
nancypants and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old May 21, 2020, 8:34 am

Programs: OWE, *G
While I would enjoy the First track, I would miss the much superior lounges in T3 (and T4). I doubt this would happen, and if it did it sounds costly to move lounges for AA, CX, QF, QR...
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.