Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding group on economy basic fares

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2020, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Boarding group on economy basic fares

What boarding group number does silver status give on economy basic hand baggage only fares? Still last group to board? Thanks.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
What boarding group number does silver status give on economy basic hand baggage only fares? Still last group to board? Thanks.
Group 2. I am not aware silvers were ever last to board even when they had basic fares?
wilsnunn likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Group 2. I am not aware silvers were ever last to board even when they had basic fares?
Thanks. When booking it states last to board but as I've not purchased one previously, wanted to check re status.
Old May 15, 2020, 3:50 am
A13

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks. When booking it states last to board but as I've not purchased one previously, wanted to check re status.
Yeah, you'll still get group 2
Old May 15, 2020, 3:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I don't think it takes account of status, that is just the generic terms for a basic fare. Boarding groups have always recognised status on the bp even with basic fares.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:17 am

Surely boarding in random order (by status group) is going to be dumped in the Covid world and boarding from the back of the plane, forwards, becomes the norm?
Old May 15, 2020, 4:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by aristoph
Surely boarding in random order (by status group) is going to be dumped in the Covid world and boarding from the back of the plane, forwards, becomes the norm?
At out stations this is what is happening now - boarding from the rear seat groups (in chunks of say 5 rows) forwards. At LHR they generally still do group boarding. At the moment it makes no material difference, if you've got 50 people going on to the A321neo it's a 3 minute job however you want to do it. Longhauls have fewer passengers.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aristoph
Yes, I get that may well happen, but I really do feel that in it's current form, social distancing on an aircraft is just not feasible, either practically or economically.
Old May 15, 2020, 5:39 am

Yes, I get that may well happen, but I really do feel that in it's current form, social distancing on an aircraft is just not feasible, either practically or economically.
Agreed, but there are still things that you can do. No one will want to sit in row 1, having boarded first, while 190 people file past them or are stuck next to them in a crowd. And the very simple solution to that is to board from the rear of the plane.

We flew to BGi in mid-March in CW, and even then we made sure we were the very last people to board - notwithstanding our Group 2 status.
Old May 15, 2020, 6:53 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
At out stations this is what is happening now - boarding from the rear seat groups (in chunks of say 5 rows) forwards. At LHR they generally still do group boarding. At the moment it makes no material difference, if you've got 50 people going on to the A321neo it's a 3 minute job however you want to do it. Longhauls have fewer passengers.
It'll be interesting to see how the pans out if the process (back rows first) continues and the loadings increase again, e.g. those at the front will board last. On most full UK flights, many pax dump their bags in overhead bins on the way down the plane, in case the bins near them are full, so that means the bins near the CE pax will be full long before the CE pax themselves board.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
It'll be interesting to see how the pans out if the process (back rows first) continues and the loadings increase again, e.g. those at the front will board last. On most full UK flights, many pax dump their bags in overhead bins on the way down the plane, in case the bins near them are full, so that means the bins near the CE pax will be full long before the CE pax themselves board.
There would obviously have to be some sort of policing of that.

By having reverse grouped boarding, perhaps the CE/CW/F pax could be left in the lounge longer, and only called for boarding when it's their turn.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:41 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL
On most full UK flights, many pax dump their bags in overhead bins on the way down the plane, in case the bins near them are full, so that means the bins near the CE pax will be full long before the CE pax themselves board.
Of course, if the baggage limits (size and number of bags) were enforced, then this would be less of an issue...

Equally, the bins should be only used by peeps in their own segment - eg ET in ET only
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Was BA GGL but no longer travelling
Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Of course, if the baggage limits (size and number of bags) were enforced, then this would be less of an issue...

Equally, the bins should be only used by peeps in their own segment - eg ET in ET only
Should and are are not the same
jwhite9185 likes this.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
Only if accompanied by downsizing in allowances. The oft-quoted stat is that on a full A319, if everyone brought their full-sized allowance, only 49% would be able to stow it in the lockers. Thankfully many connecting pax check in bags for their full journey, and plenty like me just CBA carrying luggage any longer than absolutely necessary so leave ‘our’ space for others who can’t bear to be without their fridge and sink for 90 minutes, or wait an extra 5 mins at the other end to get them back.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
My partner was most impressed a couple of years ago to see FR CC guarding overhead bin space - as he said (more than once!) : "if bloody Ryanair can manage it, why can't BA!!!???"
Msclelovr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.