Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Gradually the future of Air Travel becomes Clearer...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2020, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Avis President

Here goes...
  1. Forget the silly Perspex screen separations and middle seat empty...it'll never work for safety reasons and economics
  2. Class separation will be based not on little luxuries or leg room, but on how much tolerance is granted for you to move around the aircraft without permission.
  3. In Y the seat belt sign will be on virtually permanently and you'll need to ask permission to exit your seat for any reason, including the use of the toilet.
  4. In J and F more tolerance will be allowed to make your own decision...its what you've paid for.
  5. Aisle seats sold at a premium. No BAEC level will allow for free seat selection.
  6. Cabin crew work areas will be strictly designated...and as a passenger you'll be prevented from entering for any reason. No chatting up the stewardess.
  7. Face masks will be compulsory at all times and in all classes except when consuming food or drink. More tolerance in J and F.
  8. Meals (such as they are) will be cold, in a cardboard box and handed out by crew in PPE. Only in J and F will hot meals will be served...its what you've paid for.
  9. No booze in Y, but available at meal times in J and F...but outside of meal times by use of call bell only. You can't just wander down to the Club kitchen as it won't exist.
  10. Boarding will be by rows located furthest back in the aircraft...to prevent people squeezing unnecessarily past each other. No more passengers in Y trooping past those in J.
  11. Similar for exiting.
  12. Hand luggage rules rigorously applied and use of disinfectant spray tunnels.
  13. Body temperatures taken prior to passport control and prior to boarding
  14. Contactless payment only.
  15. Self check-in only with paperless boarding
  16. High air fares the order to the day.
Have I missed anything...??

Chris

Last edited by Chris_G; May 12, 2020 at 1:53 pm Reason: forgot something...
Old May 12, 2020, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Chris_G

Chris
...a winking face emoji?

The idea that public health considerations should be influenced by travel class is frankly ridiculous.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:00 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well your crystal ball has been working even harder than mine.

BA is currently flying - not very much - and the only thing in your list which is happening as described is point 10; points 8, 9 and inconsistently 11 have some basis; and 14 was the old system and no longer applies. So I suspect you've spent too long in the company of MOL and that seems to have impacted your sphericals.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
...a winking face emoji?

The idea that public health considerations should be influenced by travel class is frankly ridiculous.
Based on passenger density and controllability considerations...
Old May 12, 2020, 2:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Here goes...
  1. Forget the silly Perspex screen separations and middle seat empty...it'll never work for safety reasons and economics
  2. Class separation will be based not on little luxuries or leg room, but on how much tolerance is granted for you to move around the aircraft without permission.
  3. In Y the seat belt sign will be on virtually permanently and you'll need to ask permission to exit your seat for any reason, including the use of the toilet.
  4. In J and F more tolerance will be allowed to make your own decision...its what you've paid for.
  5. Aisle seats sold at a premium. No BAEC level will allow for free seat selection.
  6. Cabin crew work areas will be strictly designated...and as a passenger you'll be prevented from entering for any reason. No chatting up the stewardess.
  7. Face masks will be compulsory at all times and in all classes except when consuming food or drink. More tolerance in J and F.
  8. Meals (such as they are) will be cold, in a cardboard box and handed out by crew in PPE. Only in J and F will hot meals will be served...its what you've paid for.
  9. No booze in Y, but available at meal times in J and F...but outside of meal times by use of call bell only. You can't just wander down to the Club kitchen as it won't exist.
  10. Boarding will be by rows located furthest back in the aircraft...to prevent people squeezing unnecessarily past each other. No more passengers in Y trooping past those in J.
  11. Similar for exiting.
  12. Hand luggage rules rigorously applied and use of disinfectant spray tunnels.
  13. Body temperatures taken prior to passport control and prior to boarding
  14. Contactless payment only.
  15. Self check-in only with paperless boarding
  16. High air fares the order to the day.

Chris
17. Any passenger removes their mask and refusies to wear it during the flight, pilot diverts to the nearest airport and local plod arrest you for endangering the aircraft and passengers or whatever they call it.

ML
cruisr, RoyalSwazi and JournoFlyer like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:58 pm

Based on passenger density and controllability considerations...
I’m not sure what your suggestion that hot food and alcohol be served only in J in F have to do with passenger density and “controllability considerations” (whatever they are)? Seems all a bit Titanic era steerage class and “below stairs” to be honest and the use of the phrase “it’s what you paid for” doesn’t exactly support your health based argument.
Old May 12, 2020, 2:59 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
It doesn't sound very convenient.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
A lot of these points will be the nails in the coffin of leisure air travel. If flying is an unwelcome ordeal, only those who have absolutely no alternative will be left.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:20 pm

The rich always win, so yes, if you are in F you get to do what you want and in Y you are told what to do and punished if you rebel.
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I’m not sure what your suggestion that hot food and alcohol be served only in J in F have to do with passenger density and “controllability considerations” (whatever they are)? Seems all a bit Titanic era steerage class and “below stairs” to be honest and the use of the phrase “it’s what you paid for” doesn’t exactly support your health based argument.
I think the point I'm making is that what happens will ultimately be a blend of both cost saving and health, but it might possibly be assumed that the virus has provided a reason to enact them...

In a similar way to the redundancies at BA and whether the current crisis has just provided cover to do some thinning out in any case...

Chris
Old May 12, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think the point I'm making is that what happens will ultimately be a blend of both cost saving and health
Chris
You hit on the most pressing of dilemmas that governments are facing. This is not something that only Willie nor Richard B are lacking sleep over, amongst others. It will become the most telling of this entire CV period. Will Gov get their timing right with opening economies or will we end up in a second spike and further dire situations. Will IAG sacrifice health for the sake of some profit.

I would not like be making these decisions however some will have to and some will certainly get it right but some will get it very wrong.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Well I'd certainly welcome. 10). back. Boarding by row is so much more sensible. Back of the plane first and fill to the front - so much easier and quicker.
And for premium passengers a call in the lounge to board to maximise lounge time and not hanging around tat he gate.

Apart from that .....
Old May 12, 2020, 3:42 pm

“No chatting up the stewardess.”

Are you really the only frequent flyer / enthusiast that still thinks cabin crew are called ‘stewardess’ and want to be ‘chatted up’ by you?

A bit distasteful in my humble opinion.
alanw, dodgeflyer, cruisr and 10 others like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
You hit on the most pressing of dilemmas that governments are facing. This is not something that only Willie nor Richard B are lacking sleep over, amongst others. It will become the most telling of this entire CV period. Will Gov get their timing right with opening economies or will we end up in a second spike and further dire situations. Will IAG sacrifice health for the sake of some profit.

I would not like be making these decisions however some will have to and some will certainly get it right but some will get it very wrong.
Agree entirely, we see different approaches from governments to employers. The airline industry is a particularly interesting case, as unlimited travel around the globe simply cannot be tolerated without massive testing. These tests are short in supply for the short term so that is why I think 2020 will see little non essential travel. The result will be a number of airlines fold and some consolidation when the dust settles.
and yes I think all airlines would put profit (survival?) Before health and lobby governments heavily.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tom London
“No chatting up the stewardess.”

Are you really the only frequent flyer / enthusiast that still thinks cabin crew are called ‘stewardess’ and want to be ‘chatted up’ by you?

A bit distasteful in my humble opinion.
OK then, I'll put it better...no making of idle chat with the cabin crew...

Chris
LadyPenelope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.