Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAG 1st Quarter Results

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 5:52 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I thought those companies taking up the CCFF had to sign a confidentiality clause not to reveal details. As it seems to be a competitive funding source, IAG/BA would have been ill advised to ignore it.
Old May 7, 2020, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
I thought those companies taking up the CCFF had to sign a confidentiality clause not to reveal details. As it seems to be a competitive funding source, IAG/BA would have been ill advised to ignore it.
But i suspect that if it is price sensitive information (which i suggest it would be) the companies themselves have to disclose it. So confidentiality doesn't really work!
Old May 7, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
LOI for 200 coffins remains in place! Seriously?
Old May 7, 2020, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by wb1969
Which bit of either IAG or Boeing management do you think have the spare capacity to deal with something that isn’t even an actual order yet?
Old May 7, 2020, 6:22 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by pauldb
That’s not quite correct either. Like all the special measures, the CCFF money is being borrowed by HMG and that borrowing will be repaid by HMG when BA repays HMG.

The £300m will only come from your pocket if BA defaults, in the sense that the taxpayer would have to repay the borrowings or forever pay interest on. And that’s exactly what the picture would look like with a guarantee that got called upon.
This is my understanding. Also, the maturity of the loan is super short term, min one week to a max of twelve months
Old May 7, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Which bit of either IAG or Boeing management do you think have the spare capacity to deal with something that isn’t even an actual order yet?
i agree. Probably getting a deferred decision for quite a while.
Old May 7, 2020, 7:16 am
Suspended

In law do LOIs actually mean anything?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
It will only be firmed when the MAX is recertified. That has not happened, as yet. IAG are not yet committed to the MAX, I suspect that there will be great deals offered by both Airbus and Boeing in the aftermath. It is entirely plausible that IAG might not need the MAX, or half the A320s. Depends how traffic recovers.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by pauldb
That’s not quite correct either. Like all the special measures, the CCFF money is being borrowed by HMG and that borrowing will be repaid by HMG when BA repays HMG.

The £300m will only come from your pocket if BA defaults, in the sense that the taxpayer would have to repay the borrowings or forever pay interest on. And that’s exactly what the picture would look like with a guarantee that got called upon.
That's not true either, because the Government is not borrowing money DIRECTLY to match requests under the CCFF. On the day it gives BA £300m it does NOT issue £300m of gilts. There is a big pot of Government cash, some borrowed and some not, and this is taken from that big pot.

In any event, when the Government borrows money, it is the same as you and me lending it money. We are still on the hook for it. There is no magic money tree.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by Raffles
That's not true either, because the Government is not borrowing money DIRECTLY to match requests under the CCFF. On the day it gives BA £300m it does NOT issue £300m of gilts. There is a big pot of Government cash, some borrowed and some not, and this is taken from that big pot.

In any event, when the Government borrows money, it is the same as you and me lending it money. We are still on the hook for it. There is no magic money tree.
In the short term there is a magic money tree, the Bank of England can just print money.
tobsw likes this.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by richardwft
In law do LOIs actually mean anything?

My interpretation of a LOI is on par with putting in a note of interest on a house, well intentioned but meaningless to the vendor.
Old May 7, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by Raffles

The government is not lending from its existing resources, other than in the very short-term as the money passes through. It is now accessing it's BoE Ways and Means Facility, a large BoE overdraft. When the government needs money, the BoE simple writes the amounts into the government account, creating new money. There is no real borrowing that happens on the other side of this.

In fact I/we are misrepresenting CCFF. The counterparty is the BoE not HMG. When IAG's dealer (bank) offers £100m of IAG's commercial paper to the BoE, the money is given to the dealer (to be provided IAG) through the printing of money. The dealer has a deposit account at the Bank of England, and the BoE literally edit the balance of that account +£100m for them to withdraw.

I believe in magic even if you don't!
Andriyko, choosethedrew and tobsw like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Rubecula
In the short term there is a magic money tree, the Bank of England can just print money.
I'm not a fiance person but my understanding is yes, the vast majority of the new debt being issued by HMG is being "bought" by the BoE printing money, sorry, quantitative easing program. None of this money is actually coming from anyone.

I also believe this is the case with the majority of western governments and their respective central bank at present.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by milkyway88
"bought" by the BoE printing money, sorry, quantitative easing program
by the BoE printing money, sorry, quantitative easing program state sponsored counterfeiting program*
Old May 7, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by milkyway88
I'm not a fiance person but my understanding is yes, the vast majority of the new debt being issued by HMG is being "bought" by the BoE printing money, sorry, quantitative easing program. None of this money is actually coming from anyone.

I also believe this is the case with the majority of western governments and their respective central bank at present.
Slightly weird how you all believe this, yet if BA had started giving out tens of millions of Avios, newly printed, in some crazy promotion, you'd be crying about a future devaluation. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.