Wiki Posts
Search

Voucher Or Request Refund

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 8:09 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Britsok1
I Received an e-mail yesterday offering a voucher if I opted to cancel July 22 BOS-LHR flight. I am considering the voucher but am wondering if I wait till the last minute to make a decision on canceling the trip is there a possibility that this offer may be taken off the table assuming things get back to normal in the meantime ...thoughts?
I can't see any removal of the book with confidence provisions by then. I think you would be safe to wait, and the future travel voucher would still be available.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, just call. Wait times are down a lot from the peaks a few weeks ago.
I rang for a refund yesterday (around mid-afternoon), and I only waited about 25 minutes to get through.
KARFA likes this.
Old May 5, 2020, 9:37 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
In reply to the LH Group comment above (somehow didn’t work) ... When I spoke with the LH agent in service center they tried very hard to sell you to opt for voucher, when I insisted on a refund, they said no problem and will put the request in, but will take probably till end of the year (& I did not hear that wrong, I asked them to repeat it) when you see the credit. So technically speaking they did not refuse refund, definitely completely discourage and avoid it. Now, I will see if I will ever get my money back.
Old May 5, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by LHSEN
In reply to the LH Group comment above (somehow didn’t work) ... When I spoke with the LH agent in service center they tried very hard to sell you to opt for voucher, when I insisted on a refund, they said no problem and will put the request in, but will take probably till end of the year (& I did not hear that wrong, I asked them to repeat it) when you see the credit. So technically speaking they did not refuse refund, definitely completely discourage and avoid it. Now, I will see if I will ever get my money back.
I would request a chargeback through your credit card in this situation.
Old May 6, 2020, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by NYLON Boy
yup, keep trying. BA has chosen not to make this easy, unlike some other airlines which allow you to submit refund requests online (SK, SQ come to mind).
Originally Posted by KARFA
yes, just call. Wait times are down a lot from the peaks a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by fruitcage
7:30 am or 9:30 pm seem to be the quietest times.
OK thank you! So far nothing has worked. I try both the UK and the US numbers. I hear a message about high call volumes and then the call is disconnected. I don't even get put on hold.

Actually, if it would be possible, I'd rather keep the tickets and just move the dates. My wife and daughter will probably make the trip next year. I was able to get a very good price on these. They're flying into a small US airport that is usually higher priced, but the price was low when I booked. If BA would just rebook by changing the dates but not charge anything, we would gladly do that. There are two problems with this:

1. We do not yet know the dates they would need to travel in 2021.
2. It would most certainly be more than a year from now, so it wouldn't even be bookable. This trip was booked for June/July 2020, and I'm guessing the now canceled event they were planning to attend will be held at about the same time next year.

Would it be a problem to just let the tickets sit and do nothing, even after departure? Later this year we'll have set travel dates for next year, plus it'll be within 11 months of travel so we could rebook.

Last edited by g289t; May 6, 2020 at 10:59 am
Old May 6, 2020, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by g289t
Would it be a problem to just let the tickets sit and do nothing, even after departure? Later this year we'll have set travel dates for next year, plus it'll be within 11 months of travel so we could rebook.
Yes you can wait, so long as the first flight on the booking is cancelled by BA. But I would keep calling, there must be several hundred FTer posts in the main thread reporting they have been able to get through to the Contact Centre. During the European day time you could also try the Bremen number, the number is on ba.com/contact under the Germany drop down.
Often1 and g289t like this.
Old May 6, 2020, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes you can wait, so long as the first flight on the booking is cancelled by BA. But I would keep calling, there must be several hundred FTer posts in the main thread reporting they have been able to get through to the Contact Centre. During the European day time you could also try the Bremen number, the number is on ba.com/contact under the Germany drop down.
OK thank you; I'll keep trying. I'm in West Africa in the UTC time zone. I'm 1 hour behind the UK and 2 hours behind Western Europe, so the time difference isn't a problem for me. I tried the local number, but it didn't work either. I'll try the Bremen number too.

The first flight, from here to LHR, is not canceled, at least not yet. It's the 3rd flight that's canceled, a domestic US flight operated by AA. However, the tickets are BA tickets with 125-* flight numbers. I purchased them on britishairways.com. The 2nd flight, LHR-ORD operated by AA, was canceled, but it was automatically rebooked onto another AA flight.
Old May 7, 2020, 1:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by g289t
OK thank you; I'll keep trying. I'm in West Africa in the UTC time zone. I'm 1 hour behind the UK and 2 hours behind Western Europe, so the time difference isn't a problem for me. I tried the local number, but it didn't work either. I'll try the Bremen number too.

The first flight, from here to LHR, is not canceled, at least not yet. It's the 3rd flight that's canceled, a domestic US flight operated by AA. However, the tickets are BA tickets with 125-* flight numbers. I purchased them on britishairways.com. The 2nd flight, LHR-ORD operated by AA, was canceled, but it was automatically rebooked onto another AA flight.
I am guessing your flight is someway off. If it is a BA service from Nigeria or Ghana, I would say there is a high probability of that service being cancelled once the relevant timeline has been reached. The AA domestic service cancellation is an artefact of AA's processes, it may have nothing to do with the pandemic. The Cape Town office is now open so that's the other one to try.
Old May 7, 2020, 2:15 am

I had a very good refund experience with BA this week.

I had booked CPH-LHR-SCL and returning GIG-LHR-CPH paid for business and upgraded LHR-SCL to First using avios, hence the booking was made via executive club.

Last week I got an email saying the CPH-LHR flight was cancelled and to rebook, voucher or refund via the website. As refund could not be done via the website I called BAEC monday morning and after about 10 minutes wait time a very nice lady took maybe 5 minutes to get everything sorted, Today money has been credited back to my creditcard.

So a very easy and fast refund process
Old May 7, 2020, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I am guessing your flight is someway off. If it is a BA service from Nigeria or Ghana, I would say there is a high probability of that service being cancelled once the relevant timeline has been reached.
It's from Accra, in the middle of June. Ghana's borders are closed through May 31, at this point anyway. Either way, whether or not it's feasible, my wife and daughter are not making the trip as currently scheduled. I'm hoping BA cancels ACC-LHR to make it a bit easier to hopefully get what we want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.