Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to cut up to 12,000 jobs in "restructuring and redundancy programme"

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Thoughts with all those at BA (and IAG) at a very difficult time. I hope the approach that BA/IAG take is as far as possible voluntary.
Jimmie76 likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
Agree, all the forums I read basically say the same, we cocked up so we will suffer for it, not sure what BA can do other than work with the airports closely to try and get rapid testing stations deployed for travellers to produce this Covid-19 passport I keep reading about so then it doesn't matter when our lockdown started.
The UK should be pushing around data standards, particularly around the contact tracing app - UK companies have experience in this area. I think an effective passport may be an electronic file showing lack of contact with others plus test results, that can be shared with destination country authorities. It won't be fail safe but would show the traveller is low risk.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by paulaf
There are a few articles in the tabloids that Cyprus and the Balearics may "ban" UK tourists until the end of the year whereas other visitors would be welcome possibly from July, I too was very annoyed to read that as our lockdown was only a little later yet they seem to think it will take us months longer to control it. Let's hope they revise their thinking in a month or so when the situation here improves or BA will suffer even more.
The Canarian Regional Government has expressed the preference for a phased reopening of business for domestic (i.e. Islands) residents initially, then allowing visitors from the Spanish mainland, and finally opening for foreign visitors no earlier than October
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
The UK should be pushing around data standards, particularly around the contact tracing app - UK companies have experience in this area. I think an effective passport may be an electronic file showing lack of contact with others plus test results, that can be shared with destination country authorities. It won't be fail safe but would show the traveller is low risk.
The contact tracing app is going to be launched mid May Hancock said today. There was a meeting of EU tourism ministers yesterday to agree a way forward and agree standards but the UK were not invited.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by cauchy
Pure speculation, but I imagine all of the Worldwide and Euro Fleets will be made redundant.
I would be interested in your thinking?
Personally I am going to wait and see and not listen to gossip.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Commiserations to all who might be affected in these difficult times.

However, you do have to wonder what planet Balpa are on, saying they are going to fight every single job cut.
krispy84 and acucobol like this.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver | Hilton Honors - Gold
It is a bit presumptuous to assume the highest paid will be the first to go.

These are trying time’s and they may look at VR in the first instance to achieve some of this before going for compulsory. Working in hospitality sector and currently furloughed, I understand how much of a worrying time this is. I hope the BA show some compassion in this process.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
One wonders how many of those now facing redundancy will have shared in the outstanding financial performance of the airline over the past few years?

Not as many as you might hope, I’d hazard.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Agent69
Commiserations to all who might be affected in these difficult times.

However, you do have to wonder what planet Balpa are on, saying they are going to fight every single job cut.
Copied from the BBC News app:

Balpa's general secretary Brian Strutton said: "This has come as a bolt out of the blue from an airline that said it was wealthy enough to weather the Covid storm and declined any government support.
"Balpa does not accept that a case has been made for these job losses and we will be fighting to save every single one."

This just comes across as bluster.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I would be interested in your thinking?
Personally I am going to wait and see and not listen to gossip.
It's simply me assuming the highest paid are most at risk. Not the most sophisticated reasoning I accept.

And let me add, it would be an terrible way to treat loyal staff, many of whom must have decades of service. Commiserations to all affected.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:01 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Folks, whilst this is important news, when posting please bear in mind:

- any commentary on entry requirements for other countries as a result of COVID-19 should only relate to the direct effect on BA and implications for how that might affect the number of redundancies. Opinions about the government’s handling of the pandemic are off-topic for this forum and will be subject to deletion.

- we benefit greatly from the wisdom and experience of a great number of both former and, particularly in this situation, current BA employees. They will be facing a difficult and uncertain period until things become clearer. Please consider their sensitivities when posting and try to avoid over-speculating on areas which may or may not be affected.

Thank you for your assistance.

/mod

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Apr 28, 2020 at 12:47 pm
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by cauchy
<snip>
And let me add, it would be an terrible way to treat loyal staff, many of whom must have decades of service. Commiserations to all affected.
OTOH, my acceptance of Voluntary Redundancy from the RAF, after 29 years, was accepted without demur. Numbers were being reduced quite dramatically, and with only 5 years left to serve my departure would (a) remove an expensive, top pay rate, individual, and (b) create upward mobility for those whose promotion I had been blocking. The redundancy package was agreeable and financially viable, and my last day at work was a few weeks before my 50th birthday.

I could suggest that not everyone wants to grind on into the sunset, and that many would be content to call it a day ... ‘if the price is right’.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: BAEC
I am just in shock at how BA is in such a bad position, especially compared to the other IAG members. They’ve had record profits over the last few years and although this situation is bad, surely they should be able to cope with it?

I imagine they will offer voluntary redundancies first, making the actual number who unwillingly lose their job smaller. But I do think BA will focus on those with the ‘old’ contracts, in order to reduce costs. If they do lose their jobs though they will be snapped up quickly as they’re great and an asset!

The word ‘restructuring’ also sounds like they’re really going to overhaul the management and operations. Will they turn to even more leisure routes to offset the reduction in business demand?
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by 13901
I'm surprised that IAG is openly suggesting that 1 in 3 BA employees could lose their jobs but nothing with regards to Iberia, Aer Lingus, Vueling or LEVEL.
Suspect IAG doesn’t have much choice, when entering consultation like this as a UK employer, you have to inform the RPS (govt) and I guess it’s material enough to require a release to the stock market. Don’t have direct knowledge of what IAG is doing in Spain, but wouldn’t be at all surprised if IB/VY were using the force-majeure ERTE scheme under the state of alarm (rough equivalent to the UK job retention scheme, though works differently). Dismissing staff falling under this scheme is legally risky in Spain (though in fairness the law isn't exactly recently tested in this area and IANAL), and in any case the law works differently there. Once the state of alarm finishes, sadly it would not be surprising to hear similar news out of Spain.

Originally Posted by subject2load
It’s a truly sad day for all directly concerned - not least their families, of course. Although, worth noting that the exact words - which will have been chosen carefully by BA, given the importance / impact even of the announcement itself - were as quoted above by NWIFlyer :

“ ........... The proposals remain subject to consultation but it is likely that they will affect most of British Airways' employees and may result in the redundancy of up to 12,000 of them.“

(bold added by me).

I am sure BA will have wanted to over-estimate in this difficult scenario rather than under-estimate. With things developing at such a rapid pace - and with so many ongoing unknowns - the precise number of those affected will not be certain for some time. But regardless of actual figures, this is a tragic story, ..... aling with so many other, similar, scenarios. Plus, the current & ever-growing strain on Government aid / support funding is huge, to say the very least.
The use of “may” and “up to xxx” is pretty standard language when entering redundancy consultation, legally you can’t be seen to pre-ordain the outcome of the consultation process. Very sadly, unless something remarkable happens economically during the consultation, these numbers will likely be closer to the reality than anyone would want. Grim days indeed.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Horrible news but not unexpected. Feel for everyone that's going to be impacted. Personally if my departments impacted which it more than likely will be im at a time of life and a financial position where I would volunteer to go to save someone who really needs the job being one of the unfortunate ones

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.