Wiki Posts
Search

Future aircraft orders: general discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Future aircraft orders: general discussion

I think it’s the A350s time to shine. It’s a new, fuel efficient, 2 engined, 3 class aircraft. Pretty much everything BA want right now.

Yes not a time to be getting expensive deliveries but they will make the fleet more efficient and improve the customer experience.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I think it’s the A350s time to shine. It’s a new, fuel efficient, 2 engined, 3 class aircraft. Pretty much everything BA want right now.

Yes not a time to be getting expensive deliveries but they will make the fleet more efficient and improve the customer experience.
I agree, and lets not forget its doing well on cargo too. I feel like going forward only the 77w and 779 should be 4 class really. everything else should be 3. when you look at other airlines 56 business class seats on an a350 is not done so they get good premium cash from that as well as another 56 premium economy seats and i think BA really like the 35K set up. If they want something with even higher premium density and a good economy density as well the a35k allows them to do that. But i think 4 class should really be for the routes you know for sure you can fill up first to a reasonable amount

Last edited by opus99; Apr 15, 2020 at 4:06 pm Reason: grammar
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:36 pm

I think it will be a long time (years) before demand is back to where it was, probably past the (latest) retirement dates of all 747s. However, BA are (generally) smart, and I expect that some will be sent to VCV or similar for storage prior to absolute retirement. In addition remember that BA has many outstanding orders on the books, and while there will be delays, this is not going to be a switch! It's going to be a ramp up, of varying pace.

Even a slightly downsized, more efficient fleet will be better poised to take on the challenges of global commercial aviation in the new world order, whatever they may be. And needs might dictate a shrinkage of capacity for quite a while.

rb211.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Although I believe the A350 and 777 will become the favoured aircraft, I can’t see BA never bringing back the 747. Even if only 7/8 come back I’m sure they’ll fly again.

I also wonder if BA will need all these deliveries with F cabins (787-10, 77W, 777X).
Old Apr 16, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Although I believe the A350 and 777 will become the favoured aircraft, I can’t see BA never bringing back the 747. Even if only 7/8 come back I’m sure they’ll fly again.

I also wonder if BA will need all these deliveries with F cabins (787-10, 77W, 777X).
There is always the possibility that they may specify a different cabin configuration for these new deliveries after all they have 3 class 777s and 787s already on the books. although I like travelling in F, I have found it a bit inconsistent of late, I would be quite happy to have a top class consistent J product in its place on the majority of routes, keeping F for just the premium routes.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965
There is always the possibility that they may specify a different cabin configuration for these new deliveries after all they have 3 class 777s and 787s already on the books. although I like travelling in F, I have found it a bit inconsistent of late, I would be quite happy to have a top class consistent J product in its place on the majority of routes, keeping F for just the premium routes.
Isn't that an A350?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
As i added in the 777 CS thread, G-VIIA went in today for refit. She’s 24 years old, so I expect after paying for refit she’ll be going for at least another 5.
Yes, the 77E replacement scheme doesn't start till about 2025
Old Apr 25, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by opus99
Honestly by the time we are fully back and flying again almost the whole G-VII heathrow fleet will be done! amazing! Shout out to all the engineers working in this difficult time and getting these aircrafts refurbished!
It’s good that BA are pressing ahead with the refurbishments, although I do think that, to reduce capital expenditure, something may have give. I wouldn’t be surprised if the 77W program gets pushed back; after all, how many super hi-j aircraft will BA need? Likewise, I believe 77X deliveries could be pushed back without penalty because Boeing are late with the aircraft anyway!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Yes, the 77E replacement scheme doesn't start till about 2025
it will be interesting to see what they choose.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
it will be interesting to see what they choose.
I'm leaning toward the 787-10 given how perfect it is for the route network and how it a very slight increase of passengers in a 4 class configuration on about 256 while the 777s are about 235 and they are about 20% more efficient than the 777s AND can serve ALL 77E destinations and about 99% of BA's destinations in total. I think they'll convert their 777X options (24) to a 787-10 order. Thats what i'd do at least
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

I'm leaning toward the 787-10 given how perfect it is for the route network and how it a very slight increase of passengers in a 4 class configuration on about 256 while the 777s are about 235 and they are about 20% more efficient than the 777s AND can serve ALL 77E destinations and about 99% of BA's destinations in total. I think they'll convert their 777X options (24) to a 787-10 order. Thats what i'd do at least
Interesting thoughts and I do agree with your points.

I don’t think BA have been particularly impressed by the 787s though, especially down to the Trent issues. On the other hand they’re very happy with the A350s.

I can see the A359 being a strong contender, especially as IAG want fleet commonality and Iberia has them and Aer Lingus are getting them soon.

However, as you say if BA need to do something with Boeing to make up for losing the 777Xs then I can see this swap being good.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:49 pm

Interesting thoughts and I do agree with your points.

I don’t think BA have been particularly impressed by the 787s though, especially down to the Trent issues. On the other hand they’re very happy with the A350s.

I can see the A359 being a strong contender, especially as IAG want fleet commonality and Iberia has them and Aer Lingus are getting them soon.

However, as you say if BA need to do something with Boeing to make up for losing the 777Xs then I can see this swap being good.
oh yes of course and i thought about that too. the a359 will probably give them around 240 in a four class so still very good and of course it already exists within the IAG group and there's still a further 36 options so very true. But then i also thought, they could go with GE for that order if they needed to. But seeing how WW goes on and on about the A350 i think he might just go there, but of course airbus has to give a good price on those
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
But seeing how WW goes on and on about the A350 i think he might just go there, but of course airbus has to give a good price on those
Although as other operators are seeing with the 737 MAX, just because the purchase price is cheap doesn't mean something is a good buy. I wonder how many MAX owners wish they has bought a 320?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jagboi
Although as other operators are seeing with the 737 MAX, just because the purchase price is cheap doesn't mean something is a good buy. I wonder how many MAX owners wish they has bought a 320?
oh of course, but I meant it in the context of the last order battle Airbus and Boeing had over BAs business which was the 777X order. BA were prepared to take the 380 with a mix of more 35Ks but the 380 took the order out because it was just too expensive
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:08 am

I'd say so too, but let's not forget that the 78Ks aren't bunked, so SEA is the furthest they can go. From the top of my head I can't think of a very long LHR 77E route - perhaps EZE - where that could be an issue; however LGW will be a different thing.

Also, excluding the bunking issue, there might be payload restrictions if you were to fly a 78K on a long route. I believe they don't have the 'legs' that a 789, for instance, has.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.