Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What routes could switch between LHR & LGW?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

So with COVID changing the industry immensely, it’s a given BA will have to make changes to their schedules going forward. After 9/11 and the financial crisis BA swapped some routes between LHR/LGW to improve operations and profits.

So what do we think could get moved if they adopted a similar attitude again?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:58 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Too early to tell really. It's hard to even plan as no one knows what's going on.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Which routes will even fly?
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Difficult to know.

But ultimately would IAG want to loose any LGW slots after aggressively going after them in recent years ?

cs
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cornishsimon
Difficult to know.

But ultimately would IAG want to loose any LGW slots after aggressively going after them in recent years ?

cs
I agree, it would be short sighted to give them up. I’m curious to see how they will use them all though if the demand really doesn’t pick up for the next few years.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I agree, it would be short sighted to give them up. I’m curious to see how they will use them all though if the demand really doesn’t pick up for the next few years.

well there is always a x4 daily pso that could well occupy a few that’s up for grabs.

however all joking aside, we could well see the government offer up some incentives to jump start some of the more unattractive domestic routes

cs
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
future slot usage and routes would depend on if the 80/20 rule is suspended for a longer period than the current 3 months or of it is eased to say 75/25 or 70/30

No one would realy want airines operating ghost flights just to maintain their ownership so somethign would need to be done.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:37 pm

If BA cannot find profitable routes to use the slots, will anyone else?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:46 am

LGW slots could be given to Vueling/Level to fly whilst BA metal moves up to LHR to protect LHR slots.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
For an airline the size of BA, the LGW fleet works pretty well and with only a small overlap as BAeuro pointed out. Certainly, Florida and Caribbean destinations make absolute sense from LGW as they are largely O&D and UK point of sale. Likewise, most of the European holiday destinations are best served from LGW. Just maybe, some of those EU destinations could move to LHR if there was a market for them from North America. I think this is why RAK was added to LHR, for example. Surely, JER has to be a contender, though!
BAeuro likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by TedToToe
For an airline the size of BA, the LGW fleet works pretty well and with only a small overlap as BAeuro pointed out. Certainly, Florida and Caribbean destinations make absolute sense from LGW as they are largely O&D and UK point of sale. Likewise, most of the European holiday destinations are best served from LGW. Just maybe, some of those EU destinations could move to LHR if there was a market for them from North America. I think this is why RAK was added to LHR, for example. Surely, JER has to be a contender, though!
I'd imagine it's quite likely that, if the LGW limited operations continue but JER is able to take at least a few more flights that its current 1x day Blue Islands to SOU, then a JER-LHR route may well emerge to take what traffic there is over the summer. Whether it will stay for the long term is a very different question...
TraumaDoc likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by GSTBD
LGW slots could be given to Vueling/Level to fly whilst BA metal moves up to LHR to protect LHR slots.
this was my thinking, moving the LGW leisure up to Heathrow would allow them to protect valuable LHR slots and simplify operations in one hub...

not so great if you live in Sussex or Kent though!
skipness1E likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 5:35 am

As a South Wales resident, if the Floridas moved to LHR it would made them more attractive to me, Gatwick is a pain to get to for anything north of it!
Old Apr 19, 2020, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by GSTBD
That merely shifts the need to use them from BA to Vueling / Level (heck toss in IB and EI) for a while. Tthough it's more likely BA would peppercorn lease than actually give the slot away.

Are they in any different postion from BA with cutting back routes at the moment and in the near future?
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
BA will be a smaller carrier with no quads at the end of this. I see no business case for resuming B744 or A380 operations. In such a world, the LGW based B777s would be consolidated to LHR and certain short haul LGW moved as well with the rest closed. I suspect the G-GAT* A320s as oddballs would also go as simplicity is sought.
I would also expect to see JER moved (back) to LHR and UK domestic to get some love again, as people scrabble for a stay at home holiday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.