Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Châteauroux airport - What’s special about it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Châteauroux airport - What’s special about it?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Having flown from CHR to SEN a couple of years ago, I can tell you there's not much there for the average passenger, but as an avgeek, there's a ton of cool stuff. There was a huge Antonov cargo bird there was I visited, as well as the husk of a 747 parked near the front.

The flight was on (the now defunct) IGavion.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mountlodge
Nearly as bad is London Kidnlington Airport north of Oxford which is 63 miles from central London (Trafalgar Square) and 50 miles from LHR. https://www.oxfordairport.co.uk/
ML
It's actually London Oxford Airport, far from London and not in Oxford!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
This restaurant which is very close to the airport! My next door neighbour says it is fabulous!

Relais St Jacques

If you ever find yourself there on an avgeek trip or there for flight duties it is highly recommended!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 12:00 pm

I'll chip in Orlando Melbourne Airport, which will become TUI's Florida airport come 2021 - a good 70miles from downtown Orlando!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
HAL are not charging parking fees for BA or VS at Heathrow, so presumably it is a lack of space issue.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Keiran Newberry
I'll chip in Orlando Melbourne Airport, which will become TUI's Florida airport come 2021 - a good 70miles from downtown Orlando!
Wonder if that is anything to do with the fact they are also due to start cruises from Florida and want to be closer to the coast.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I used to pass CHR regularly and there was always an interesting range of aircraft to be seen there.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by flyingbee
This restaurant which is very close to the airport! My next door neighbour says it is fabulous!

Relais St Jacques

If you ever find yourself there on an avgeek trip or there for flight duties it is highly recommended!
No particular interest in the airport, but the menus of Relais St Jaques are certainly intriguing
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Genius1
HAL are not charging parking fees for BA or VS at Heathrow, so presumably it is a lack of space issue.
I suspect that the climate is somewhat better for the storage of a relatively new airframe tbh

cs
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:36 pm

I spent a week in the area in 2017 at a World Championship pistol comp....The range was built on the site of the old La Martinerie airfield..which started life as a training facility in 1916 and was originally a sort of paired facility with Chateauroux-Deols Air Depot (CHAD) which is now CHR. I had no idea there was interesting aircraft there...or would have visited. We were staying south of town so it isn't surprising we didn't stumble upon the place. Next time! (There was a small but interesting display of photos in the range admin building...of the area when it was still an airfield)
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does seem to be an interesting place
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch%C3%...ult%22_Airport
Châteauroux-Centre Airport serves as a pilot training site for both commercial and military planes. Users of the facility include: Airbus, Air Caraïbes, Air France, ATR, the Belgian Air Force, British Airways, EasyJet, KLM, the French Air Force, French Bee, Hi Fly, Lufthansa, Swiss International Air Lines and Transavia France with all types of aircraft up to the Airbus A380 and Boeing 747.

In the years 1990 to 2000, Concorde regularly came to train for the future pilots and flight crews of Air France and British Airways.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 1:52 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Always a highlight for us on the long, boring drive between Paris or Calais and the south west of France to see what interesting aircraft we can see when we drive by the airport on the motorway which passes just next to it.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
I once booked to CHS when I needed to be in CRW - only realised a week before! Ended up buying a ticket from Charleston to Charleston which was quite cool!
Old Apr 19, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
See your Oxford Kidlington and raise to Frankfurt Haan (124km from Frankfurt Hauptwache and 112km from FRA)
I'll Fold
ML
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:34 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
To go back to headline, fascinating though FR's geographic hyperbole may be ( I wonder if Paris-Vatry which is at least 170 km from Paris and is possible on of the furthest nonsense Big City designations) - Chateuroux is blessed with a long runway - I think that it may have been a USAF base at one stage? - and is cheap as chips for parking I am told. France 2 news featured BA's parking of the A380 the other day. Why AF have not parked there strikes me as odd but I expect that some of you know better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.