Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any way to earn Avios on voluntary repayments for my student loan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus

I was unfortunate enough to be part of the first cohort of students who were subject to £9,000 per year university tuition fees, combine that with a four year undergraduate degree and I now have quite a large student loan. I am now finishing my PhD and whilst I have been able to make a few small payments towards my student loan from my PhD stipend, it has not been much. I am hoping to start work soon and then I will be saying goodbye to 9% of everything that I earn over £2,214 (before tax) per month as that will automatically go towards my student loan though PAYE.

I am lucky enough that I am currently in a position whereby I want to make a not insignificant voluntary payment towards my student loan. I have had a look around cannot see any way of earning Avios on such a payment, but was wondering if the vast amount of wisdom here can provide a way of earning some Avios on this?
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
i made my final student loan payment this month.

They have closed the loophole so they will only accept direct debit or debit cards now, the credit card method is long gone. I cannot see another way how you would do this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:11 am

Curve?
BrunswickSq likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:35 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Bophopper
Curve?
If they accept debit cards this is the way to go. Have a look at Raffles HfP site for guidance.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC and Hilton mostly
Before making voluntary additional payments, could I suggest checking against Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert advice? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/st...t-loans-repay/

(Just in case there are better ways of using the dosh!)
imkevinmc, acucobol, ajdj and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
If they accept bank transfer, check out Billhop.

You essentially pay Billhop using your Amex and they then do the bank transfer for you.

The fees can be a little high but you need to judge if they outweigh the Avios value.

I used it for the first time this week to pay bills and so far so good!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:08 pm

Bellhop WAY too high for Amex to avios:

Remember, you can virtually always buy avios for 1p each. So really difficult to justify the Billhop fee against the avios earned.....

Except: I have used Billhop to hit a BA Amex 241 voucher ASAP, so I could then cancel the BA Amex and get a pro-rata refund. So the money saved by the refund offset the bellhop fee.

And I have bought £3,000 of Sainsbury vouchers once to meet the Amex Plat Business card bonus spend limit over a very quiet time of year for me!
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Kestrelflyer Silver, FlyingBlue & Expedia+
One work around I can think of is to possibly do a cash withdrawl from your amex to your bank account (That is presuming you have an amex avios card) and then using the money in your bank account you would have used to pay the fee pay the avios card instead before interest accrues?

Last edited by cvm0093; Apr 18, 2020 at 12:08 pm Reason: Non valid idea
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA
May I suggest Curve -> Tesco credit card -> Avios

Rate isn’t amazing but when I can’t use Amex it’s an easy way to generate Avios without incurring additional cost.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by cvm0093
One work around I can think of is to possibly do a cash withdrawl from your amex to your bank account (That is presuming you have an amex avios card) and then using the money in your bank account you would have used to pay the fee pay the avios card instead before interest accrues?
Thought cash advances on cards didn't accrue points?
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:50 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by theshaun
Thought cash advances on cards didn't accrue points?
They don't... but they do incur very high interest
cvm0093 likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Thanks for the responses, it seems that the "Curve -> Tesco credit card -> Avios" method will work best, flyingManc you say: "Rate isn’t amazing", but what is the actual rate?

I think that cash advances on the Amex don't earn any Avios and also earn a boat load of interest and from what I have heard affect your credit score too, so I think that I will avoid that one.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 5:41 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
PayPoint?

Can the student loan be repaid using PayPoint at a supermarket? Has your statement got a barcode? I pay my utilities, TV licence, council tax this way on my Amex.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Thanks for the responses, it seems that the "Curve -> Tesco credit card -> Avios" method will work best, flyingManc you say: "Rate isn’t amazing", but what is the actual rate?

I think that cash advances on the Amex don't earn any Avios and also earn a boat load of interest and from what I have heard affect your credit score too, so I think that I will avoid that one.
£4 of spend on Tesco credit card -> 1 Clubcard point
250 clubcard points -> 600 avios

So £1000 = 600 Avios
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tocsin
Before making voluntary additional payments, could I suggest checking against Martin Lewis's MoneySavingExpert advice? https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/st...t-loans-repay/

(Just in case there are better ways of using the dosh!)
Thanks for that, I have looked into it before (also for any future people seeing this, the link in the quote is for the Plan 1 student loans (students who started before September 2012), for Plan 2, see here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/repay-post-2012-student-loan/.

For my situation, both my calculations and MoneySavingExpert suggest that overpaying is likely to be a good idea.
Tocsin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.