Wiki Posts
Search

UUA for 31 May? Bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
UUA for 31 May? Bad idea?

Availability has popped up for 31 May J>F. Assuming the trip even happens at that point (it’s just a holiday so it probably won’t and there are entry restrictions in the country anyway), at the moment that would be a pretty pointless use of Avios given the limited onboard catering.

What do we think? Worth a punt? If we are in refund/voucher territory for the flight, would we get the Avios back as well as the cash portion of the ticket? Guessing for a voucher we would, too?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 2:38 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
As a mid-30s leisure traveller with a reasonably healthy risk appetite, I’m not willing to make any new bookings for the summer yet, and certainly not May.

You could be throwing avios after potentially bad money, who knows? Don’t take the bait is my advice.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by krispy84
As a mid-30s leisure traveller with a reasonably healthy risk appetite, I’m not willing to make any new bookings for the summer yet, and certainly not May.

You could be throwing avios after potentially bad money, who knows? Don’t take the bait is my advice.
Indeed, no-one should still be thinking about travel for a holiday this summer but I think OP is hoping to get a voucher for future travel in F. Personally I wouldn't bother. If or when the aviation industry returns to some form of normality (crystal ball needed there), one might not be in a position to redeem a voucher. I would just consolidate my assets and wait while the storm blows over. But I can see arguments (e.g. I'm not short of avios / avios may be devalued before I redeem them / I'm flexible and not fussy about where/when I fly on holiday, etc.) for taking the punt.
abersoch3254 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Impossible to say, my gut feel is that most flights in May will be cancelled and June might see the return of a small selection of services.

The UUA might make it harder to get your money back but if you’re not in a rush then that’s fine.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think that the only people who could give you some minimally reliable advice on whether to make any commitment for a trip on 31/5 are busy taking care of far more urgent and dramatic things right now.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would say a greater than 50% of very significant travel restrictions still in place by then, from what I know and what I feel. Depending on the route in question, since some flights should be operating throughout, you should only do this with the clear risk that you would end up with an eVoucher valid for an aviation world very different to the one from a month ago.
littlefish, T8191 and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would say a greater than 50% of very significant travel restrictions still in place by then, from what I know and what I feel. Depending on the route in question, since some flights should be operating throughout, you should only do this with the clear risk that you would end up with an eVoucher valid for an aviation world very different to the one from a month ago.
My thoughts exactly. I have no expectation that our holidays planned for the rest of 2020 will even happen, and we're certainly not looking at anything for 2021 until we know what the World will be looking like then. Right now we're constrained by National entry restrictions, closed airports and diminished flight schedules ... we expect that to continue for MANY months to come.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Frankly, anyone who thinks that more than a skeleton service will run this side of Christmas is dreaming...

Even if the current restrictions flatten the curve in the UK, we and other countries will see more flare-ups later in the year, leading to further restrictions especially on international flights.

Things are not going back to normal for a very long time, sorry
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Frankly, anyone who thinks that more than a skeleton service will run this side of Christmas is dreaming...

Even if the current restrictions flatten the curve in the UK, we and other countries will see more flare-ups later in the year, leading to further restrictions especially on international flights.

Things are not going back to normal for a very long time, sorry
We are in exactly the same position. Flying to BGI end of May & opp to upgrade but thinking its not going to happen and will be cancelled so not worth wasting yours and BA call centres time.
BA have only cancelled lots of LH flights until mid - end of April at present, that's only 3x weeks away and cannot see this being resolved in a few weeks.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:43 am
Suspended

I wouldn't be arranging anything for May unless essential cancelled my 40th birthday plans in Vegas for May, will be looking at rearranging later in year early next year once it all settles down
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by TheFlyingCyclist
If we are in refund/voucher territory for the flight, would we get the Avios back as well as the cash portion of the ticket? Guessing for a voucher we would, too?
OP, is your strategy to rely on the flight being cancelled, and then calling on EC261 to allow you to choose:

(c) re-routing, under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats.
Essentially hoping that cancellation will mean you end up with a fully-flexible First class ticket? I imagine BA will try to fight this in a big way -- if you think its worth the risk and effort go ahead by all means. But it could go badly wrong for you, for example, if the flight isn't cancelled and the voucher offer is withdrawn.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I think that the only people who could give you some minimally reliable advice on whether to make any commitment for a trip on 31/5 are busy taking care of far more urgent and dramatic things right now.
I would say that the people who are taking care of more urgent and dramatic things right now, can probably not give any minimally reliable advice about that right now either.

Or if they could, it would only be to say don’t do it - and even that could change.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Originally Posted by cauchy
OP, is your strategy to rely on the flight being cancelled, and then calling on EC261 to allow you to choose:

Essentially hoping that cancellation will mean you end up with a fully-flexible First class ticket? I imagine BA will try to fight this in a big way
Nothing that calculated - it’s a holiday we booked in August last year so at the moment we are “going” although clearly it is most likely we won’t be going anywhere. Just don’t want to be in a position where I lose anything. Not fussed if it comes as a refund or a voucher, just as long as it’s not neither.

The other thing on my mind is that this is a holiday booking and so I’d have to ring to change it. Not something I want to bother them with right now.

To be honest, I’ll take anything to look for some light at the end of the tunnel and look to beyond the current hideous situation.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:15 am

Nothing that calculated - it’s a holiday we booked in August last year so at the moment we are “going” although clearly it is most likely we won’t be going anywhere. Just don’t want to be in a position where I lose anything. Not fussed if it comes as a refund or a voucher, just as long as it’s not neither.
My issue with a voucher is this - suppose you got a voucher for a £300 New York trip. When this all ends, market forces might mean that £300 trip is now £600 on BA. Then you're in the world where you spend another £300 to use your original £300, or you lose the "deposit". Revenue Management knows this too, and can be aggressive in setting fares to a captive market. To avoid this risk, I'm waiting for my upcoming transatlantic flights to be cancelled, and I'll deal with it then. If the flights don't get cancelled, I've got suitable travel insurance.

To be honest, I’ll take anything to look for some light at the end of the tunnel and look to beyond the current hideous situation.
I think we all are. Not cancelling a trip shouldn't be interpreted as not recognising the gravity of our situation, but rather, as an expression of hope that this will, at some point, be over.
T8191, SkyTeem and ben1991 like this.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:23 am

I'm with you. I've been sat at home alone for days, with weekly outings including a trip to the grocery and building trash room.

I've spent the morning working on a 40th birthday trip for early next year to Madrid and Muscat. I'm very hopeful things will be much more sorted by then.

I also have a Tel Aviv, UK countryside and Switzerland hiking all booked for July. Open question whether that goes or not, but the accommodation is all on points and easily cancellable. We'll have to see how it all works out, but for now I'm hoping. If I'm able to do that trip, it'll mean big chunks of the world are in a better place, so no guilt in those thoughts. I hope your May goes as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.