Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will there be BA travel deals for this summer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Can we expect after hopefully defeating the Corona outbreak as quickly as possible, for BA to offer a sale?

Just wondering if there will be a period soon where flights are cheaper/deals to try and encourage people back to aviation.

I hope this post doesn't come across insensitive considering the circumstances; I come from a family of doctors working on the front line..
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm also looking at flights to New York or San Fran for new years, but I'm a little apprehensive to book in case there is another wave, and then my travel insurance not covering me. Has anyone gone ahead and booked for later on in the year?
spursdebs likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think we will all be relieved if there is enough of an improvement for some more flights to be running by the summer.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
There is this, if you’re a gambler. https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...s/flight-deals
Then find a country that will let you in!

In answer to your 2nd post, we’ve written off all our 2020 trips, and certainly aren’t considering 2021 until thing settle down. If that does happen, there WILL be some sales to regenerate business.
Sealink, JamieABZ, gorps1 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
You will definitely need a sense of reckless abandon to be taking a punt on anything in the summer right now. Like Uncle T, we've written off 2020 entirely, with an outside hope that we can get a week's skiing in after Christmas.

But sure, got for it. And do come back and let us know how it went
T8191, A P Yu and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BAEC
We will hopefully still be in a position to be able to book something (anything...)as soon as possible once restrictions start to be lifted, but I think it will be a slow process so it's all just wishful thinking really. At this point I'll be happy with refunds and Avios returned to our HHA for this years cancelled(or soon to be cancelled) trips
Old Mar 24, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I certainly haven't seen any price decreases to NZ this summer (from anywhere in the EU), prices for a trip in late July are higher than they were a month ago. There's a lot of reckoning that the main coronavirus impact might be over by then, but whether governments will relax travel restrictions or whether the impact will actually be over are highly uncertain.

Without a good cancellation policy on the fare in case the event I intend to attend is corona-cancelled, I'm unlikely to book soon (are you listening, BA?). Normally I'd take the small risk that the event might suffer a catastrophe, but now that I'm dependent on 3 governments to all allow travel and the event to take place, the risk is far higher. I doubt I'm the only one in this situation.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Booking anything is a high-risk strategy unless there is a very generous cancellation policy in place. I include hotels etc if you're looking to book separately.

​​​​​Maybe we'll be OK by summer, maybe we won't.
​​​​​
Edited to add: check your travel insurance. Mines covers COVID-19, but only if the trip was booked before 22 March. Anything after is deemed a known risk and I'm not covered.
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gazebo
I'm also looking at flights to New York or San Fran for new years, but I'm a little apprehensive to book in case there is another wave, and then my travel insurance not covering me. Has anyone gone ahead and booked for later on in the year?
The positive is the book with confidence with BA, so if you find a good deal between now and 31 May 2020 for travel up to 31 Dec 2020 you can change destination, date of travel, or both for free through the Future Travel Voucher. This does mean leaving your cash with BA but may be a workaround if you find that irresistible deal.

Last edited by ens100; Mar 24, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Wouldn't expect many for main peak season july/August just mainly due to flights being bullish already but would expect good deals for just after holiday season should everything be semi normal by then
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is absolutely no way that I would invest my cash in future travel unless it is fully refundable (not as funny money credits or vouchers). It is entirely possible that viable leisure travel will not come back for 18-24 months and there may be people who hold credits who simply are not comfortable traveling or staying places offering reduced services. It is also possible that BA or its successor carriers of the future may not or may not be able to offer the levels of service, e.g. F and lounges, as before.
rockflyertalk, T8191, Jed and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:40 pm

Considering that the crisis is winding down in China/Asia after 3-4 months since it started, and Italy is hopefully plateauing, I'm moderately hopeful for a trip I have in Septembter. But then I look outside from my balcony in west London and see people playing football outside, three yummy mummies having prosecco and canapes alfresco whilst the kiddies play in the grass, pensioners chatting amiably to each other as they smoke fags like it's 1980 and think that, no, my trip isn't going to happen. Because there's no way we'll be allowed out if we keep on being this stupid.
Crismyth, haroon145, AJA_ and 25 others like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:48 pm

Yes the only time the UK could actually do with a bit of miserable grey wet weather would be this week or the next few.

Telling people to work from home, shut most businesses and close all schools, then have 5 days of solid sunshine was always going to be tough for the government to control brits.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I shall take advantage of Boris’ advice, and do some light gardening tomorrow, ‘cos it’s lovely here for a few days. And having empty properties on both sides minimises my risk. Makes a change from just going on holiday and calling the Gardeners to come and do stuff. Indeed, there’s a risk of enhancing my health and annoying you guys/gals for even longer!!

going to be tough for the government to control brits.” ... or alternatively ignorant, selfish idiots [/rant]
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

going to be tough for the government to control brits.” ... or alternatively ignorant, selfish idiots [/rant]
I was trying to be polite but I do agree.
T8191 and kimberlyrose like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.