Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golden bailout

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:33 pm

I think that's definitely an innovative idea to attract some innocent investors: 10000 potential buyers each commit 5000 shares IAG at today's closing price would generate £100,000,000 for the Group. such cash should be able to pay couple of weeks wages before government bail out. new gold members would not be able to use any facility until further notice.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (but only temporarily) AVIS Presidents Club, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SKRan
If BA offers you a Gold for life if you buy X amount of shares at market price, would you do it? At what level?

Frequent flyers are stakeholders, especially the ones fly to attain status. So - keep your favourite airline in business for that status?
What happens if I then sell those shares the next day? Do I still keep my GFL?

ML
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Confirmed
I got this idea when looking at crowdsourcing projects. You invest amount x, and get y shares plus z limited products.

I thought people who think a GfL has significant value having a logical reason to protect BA so I want to see your thoughts.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mountlodge
What happens if I then sell those shares the next day? Do I still keep my GFL?

ML
It’s all hypothetical, how would that change your mind on buying the status shares?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It’s all hypothetical, how would that change your mind on buying the status shares?
It would make it a potentially cheap status for life - assuming the share price didn't dramatically change betrween time of purchase and time of sale, could just be a free gold for life
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It would make it a potentially cheap status for life - assuming the share price didn't dramatically change betrween time of purchase and time of sale, could just be a free gold for life
Hopefully a win-win between frequent flyers and the airline?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hopefully a win-win between frequent flyers and the airline?
Where does the airline win if someone buys shares, collects a lifetime status and then sells the shares?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Where does the airline win if someone buys shares, collects a lifetime status and then sells the shares?
The initial buyers would presumably be buying new shares - so that's a cash injection for the airline[s]. They'd then be selling them on the open market to other investors - not back to the airline, so the airline still has the cash injection.

Of course, that sell off could well damage the share price, and as you say would give the inital buyer something for almost nothing - so not a great idea as it stands. Presumably would need to be structured as some restricted options, rather than immediately available shares.

[Not my area of expertise, I'm sure we have many others with far greater understanding to correct me if needed!]
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:15 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
What's needed is revenue, so just plain sell a standard membership status by the year. No shares involved.

Having said that, status obsession is probably not as common as it may seem.
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
What's needed is revenue, so just plain sell a standard membership status by the year. No shares involved.

Having said that, status obsession is probably not as common as it may seem.
And given the likely state of the economy the pool of people with disposable income for fripperies like this will have shrunk significantly.
SKRan, LTN Phobia and etiene like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think they should sell status renewal / extension to those who fail to qualify due to the virus. It's the money they'd have spent on flights that they didn't.

(I'm normally against selling status etc. but if it helps to keep more staff members, and in some ways protect BA, then so be it!)
By the time this is all over they'll be closer to giving it away than selling it imo.

There will be sales and incentives of a level never seen before. I think BA will survive but a lot of airlines will come to regret the way they have treated customers during the 'good' times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.