Search

Friend stuck in Prague

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Friend stuck in Prague

My friend (dual US/Polish) citizen is currently trying to get from Prague to Michigan, after her KL itinerary PRG-AMS-DTW for Friday was cancelled.

I have booked her on BA859 PRG-LHR tomorrow, followed by BA295 LHR-ORD Wednesday 25/03, using AA miles.

I realise this is crystal ball territory, but can anyone speculate on the likelihood of these flights actually going, and what is likely to happen if they don't?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
My friend (dual US/Polish) citizen is currently trying to get from Prague to Michigan, after her KL itinerary PRG-AMS-DTW for Friday was cancelled.

I have booked her on BA859 PRG-LHR tomorrow, followed by BA295 LHR-ORD Wednesday 25/03, using AA miles.

I realise this is crystal ball territory, but can anyone speculate on the likelihood of these flights actually going, and what is likely to happen if they don't?
The LHR-ORD service is certainly going to run, in the absence of some almighty change in the position of the UK and US government today. I say today since both countries have large numbers of citizens in each others countries and it will take a week to shift everyone back home. Moreover neither government sees this as a priority compared to other issues. PRG to UK, I don't have my finger on the pulse of that one so much, but if it's in the timetable now, BA will be operating that service, again subject to force majeure. So I give this a high chance of working.
The_Bouncer likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The LHR-ORD service is certainly going to run, in the absence of some almighty change in the position of the UK and US government today. I say today since both countries have large numbers of citizens in each others countries and it will take a week to shift everyone back home. Moreover neither government sees this as a priority compared to other issues. PRG to UK, I don't have my finger on the pulse of that one so much, but if it's in the timetable now, BA will be operating that service, again subject to force majeure. So I give this a high chance of working.
Thanks CWS. At the time of writing, cash fares are still being sold on the PRG run.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

BA seems to be doing a good job in keeping much if the European network running. I wonder how long that is going to last.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Your friend should be ok tomorrow but it seems they're down to one flight per day going forward, the 14:25 leaving Prague. Given they're not Czech, they should be allowed to fly
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ComputerCommuter
Your friend should be ok tomorrow but it seems they're down to one flight per day going forward, the 14:25 leaving Prague. Given they're not Czech, they should be allowed to fly
That's the one she's booked on. I have advised her to show the US passport on departure from PRG.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: BA LTG, UA Gold, EK Silver, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
BA seems to be doing a good job in keeping much if the European network running. I wonder how long that is going to last.
Good for BA to be a life line for those who still need to travel. I have just flown LHR-MUC and there were 143 + 2 of us on the flight (with Cornelius flying the plane!!!! An A321 Neo)
Old Mar 23, 2020, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

BoJo to address the nation at 2030.

I hope the surely forthcoming lockdown doesn't put the mockers on this plan.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

64A or 64K on this run, right?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:15 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

I know there is no better place than home, but If your friend can stay in Czech Republic this is honestly much safer than Michigan.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:25 am

I'm still amazed at the number of people who didn't go home at the beginning of last week, when it should have been (finally) obvious to all what was happening (even those with their head in the sand!)

rb211.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are there any current reports of how transit is now handled at LHR or elsewhere in the UK. In this case, the OP's friend -- a US national for this purpose -- is transiting the UK where he may not enter (other than under circumstances not likely to apply).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Often1
Are there any current reports of how transit is now handled at LHR or elsewhere in the UK. In this case, the OP's friend -- a US national for this purpose -- is transiting the UK where he may not enter (other than under circumstances not likely to apply).
There are no restrictions, assuming the traveller is otherwise healthy and complies with normal immigration protocols. BA probably has the most extensive (relatively speaking) operating network in Europe at the moment so transfer traffic still continues.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 10:46 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
My friend is a dual US/Polish citizen and has, to the best of my knowledge, had no issue in entering the UK.

I am not sure how the UK is handling transit in other circumstances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.