Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Club Suite

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:31 pm

I think that this may be the harbinger of death for F for BA.

rb211.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 12:20 am

You’d hope the collective spirit would kick in and realising a functioning supply chain is better for the world rather than shareholders and dividends in the short run. I hope all companies will expense any profit for the year when this returns to normal and continue with their capex programmes (assuming they can afford). I imagine BA will suspend capex rather than the dividend if given the choice...
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Whilst it would be nice to think that BA could use this down time to install the new suite in lots of planes that's not practical. I can see them doing it to planes already planned to have the refurb though/

The manufacturers can only make 3 suites a day - and that assumes they have no supply chain issues themselves (parts from China) or having no staff illness issues.
I agree. With most aircrafts available in hangars for longer period, more downtime can be scheduled. Refurbishment, Wifi installation, deep cleaning of the cabin and rolls Royce engine works could all be scheduled.

The workforce is protected, as the workplace is relatively secure. Keeps engineers busy.

Once the situation is over, a “new” BA with sparkling new club suites, WiFi on all aircrafts and deep cleaned cabin will be very competitive. Other carriers would not have the luxury of this long downtime.

Retiring 747 seems to be in this direction. Brand new sparkling clean BA sounds very attractive to me.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:16 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by alexwuk
They will no doubt have a "Material Adverse Change" clause or a "Force Majeure" clause for BA to invoke.

The reality is: BA will hoard every dollar they have which probably means stopping the manufacture of the ClubSuite for the next 6-12 months (and thus delaying the rollout by at least that long as things return to normal)
The manufacturer is probably already paid handsomely to start the production and delivery. This cost is already reflected on BA balance sheet.

Writing off retired seats looks good on BA balance sheet - they have already generated a lot of profit for BA.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SKRan
I agree. With most aircrafts available in hangars for longer period, more downtime can be scheduled. Refurbishment, Wifi installation, deep cleaning of the cabin and rolls Royce engine works could all be scheduled.

The workforce is protected, as the workplace is relatively secure. Keeps engineers busy.

Once the situation is over, a “new” BA with sparkling new club suites, WiFi on all aircrafts and deep cleaned cabin will be very competitive. Other carriers would not have the luxury of this long downtime.

Retiring 747 seems to be in this direction. Brand new sparkling clean BA sounds very attractive to me.
I think you misread my post.

I am saying that it is NOT possible to instal the new suite on all the planes not flying becuase there simply aren't the numbers of the new suite available to do that.

Minor mechanical issues - broken lightss etc - likely could get fixed but would depend on parts being available but I don't see any major works - like wifi - being done.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 10:22 am

I am saying that it is NOT possible to instal the new suite on all the planes not flying becuase there simply aren't the numbers of the new suite available to do that.

Minor mechanical issues - broken lightss etc - likely could get fixed but would depend on parts being available but I don't see any major works - like wifi - being done.
I agree. There are only 17 aircraft still to be fitted with wifi - all 787s. Like the seats, the wifi work can't just be brought forward when there's an opportunity - the parts have to be produced and shipped over and Gogo currently have a backlog of around 850 aircraft to fit their 2Ku system to. That's a good couple of years worth, although BA's 787s are currently being done so they should be finished in a few months anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by RB211
I think that this may be the harbinger of death for F for BA.

rb211.
I bloody hope not because then there'd be fewer long haul premium seats without a footwell.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum

Parts are less the issue, its workers.

How do they safely:

Get to work: Can't ride public transportation. Even if they take their own vehicles, they have to risk contact with the public at petrol stations which the government is telling them they shouldn't do (No unnecessary travel which of course the government conveniently didn't define).

How do they eat while ate work: No restaurants to go to. Hard to drive to take away (see above). Grocery stores are becoming harder to shop at and this will only get worse as no one has offered a way to make it better.

Finally how do the workers stay safe (avoid Covid 19 exposure) at work. BA is likely a little short of MOPP 4 suits and working in one will be a Health and Safety violation for sure .

So no, no work on aircraft beyond that which is required to keep those aircraft that are flying safe will be going on.

All the best.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:12 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum

Parts are less the issue, its workers.

How do they safely:

Get to work: Can't ride public transportation. Even if they take their own vehicles, they have to risk contact with the public at petrol stations which the government is telling them they shouldn't do (No unnecessary travel which of course the government conveniently didn't define).

How do they eat while ate work: No restaurants to go to. Hard to drive to take away (see above). Grocery stores are becoming harder to shop at and this will only get worse as no one has offered a way to make it better.

Finally how do the workers stay safe (avoid Covid 19 exposure) at work. BA is likely a little short of MOPP 4 suits and working in one will be a Health and Safety violation for sure .

So no, no work on aircraft beyond that which is required to keep those aircraft that are flying safe will be going on.

All the best.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.