Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA to become all T5 at LHR from Sunday 29 March 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA to become all T5 at LHR from Sunday 29 March 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There will be no return to 'normal' let alone over night.

Airlines will be looking very closely at their cost base and route networks and retrenching. If BA see a future without T3 because they can operate solely from T5 then they won't go back

It will be years before airlines - not just BA - start to operate anywhere near the same number of routes and frequencies it did at the start of the year.
This. The economy is s shambles. Routes, frequencies, and aircraft which operated profitably may not ever recover and others to a fraction. I see commercial aviation as a bare bones operation going forward. I would be more concerned about a seat from A to B on an aircraft and less concerned about whether lounges, Krug, and hot towels are part of the future.
Dan72 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Aside from the worldwide human impact, this is all so incredibly surreal and sad. Life won't be the same again for a long long time, and I can't quite get my head around it yet.
Gerbs, lhrsfo, jspira and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Surely once travel picks up (June/July?) BA will move back into T3. Once COVID-19 is gone won’t the schedules return to normal?
We are a few weeks into what, potentially could be several months of disruption. When and if this goes away completely the airline business or what is left of it will be very different to that we have known up to now. June/July for a significant improvement is frankly naive.

I hope I am apologising to you later in the year for being unduly pessimistic.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Often1
This. The economy is s shambles. Routes, frequencies, and aircraft which operated profitably may not ever recover and others to a fraction. I see commercial aviation as a bare bones operation going forward. I would be more concerned about a seat from A to B on an aircraft and less concerned about whether lounges, Krug, and hot towels are part of the future.
While I respect your opinion (and deep down have concern you may be correct), similar statements were made after 9/11 and after the financial crash in 2008. So I am hopeful that our world is more resilient.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:30 am

Programs: BA, EK, UA, MK
Originally Posted by Often1
Fully agree here Often1.....we don't know how long it's going to take for the situation even to stabilise, let alone begin to show any improvement. I consider it unlikely that the global commercial aviation market can return anytime soon to the size and shape that we we've all become accustomed to.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
As long as this turns out to be a disease which you cannot get twice - and I accept that this is not 100% certain at present but is likely - then it should sort itself out.

What we need, and which bizarrely does not exist, is a test to show that you have antibodies to it. When this is available, two things happen. First, we can tell exactly how many people caught it and threw it off without even getting a headache (if we're lucky, the answer is a lot) and secondly we can give those people approval to go back to normal and start supporting others.

Massively off-topic now though!
alexwuk, Dave_C, Gerbs and 7 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There will be no return to 'normal' let alone over night.

Airlines will be looking very closely at their cost base and route networks and retrenching. If BA see a future without T3 because they can operate solely from T5 then they won't go back

It will be years before airlines - not just BA - start to operate anywhere near the same number of routes and frequencies it did at the start of the year.
I guess you’re right, it’s just so hard to believe as BA have always been too big to fit everything in T5.

If a lot of routes will be cut I guess the BA network will start to shrink again and the days of BA flying to most business and leisure destinations will be over.

Anyone know when other routes will start to be dropped?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 8:57 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by steve170461
We are a few weeks into what, potentially could be several months of disruption. When and if this goes away completely the airline business or what is left of it will be very different to that we have known up to now. June/July for a significant improvement is frankly naive.

I hope I am apologising to you later in the year for being unduly pessimistic.
Sweetheart, we have to take each day as it comes. These things come, they vent their fury and then they weaken and die. One thing is sure. Our recent obsessions and angst over status and compensation are being eclipsed by what is practically a new plague. We are at war, said Mr Macron. I am sitting in my garden Ona beautifully warm and sunny afternoon and glad to hepave my husband, my health, his heath, a rather pleasant roof over my head, food in the table and gin. I couldn’t care less whether BA is in one terminal or another. It is so irrelevant to today’s problems. I’m just concerned about all the people who will soon be without jobs and the economic chaos that is going to hit. That matters. People matter.
Cris L, Dan72, Andriyko and 20 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Sweetheart, we have to take each day as it comes. These things come, they vent their fury and then they weaken and die. One thing is sure. Our recent obsessions and angst over status and compensation are being eclipsed by what is practically a new plague. We are at war, said Mr Macron. I am sitting in my garden Ona beautifully warm and sunny afternoon and glad to hepave my husband, my health, his heath, a rather pleasant roof over my head, food in the table and gin. I couldn’t care less whether BA is in one terminal or another. It is so irrelevant to today’s problems. I’m just concerned about all the people who will soon be without jobs and the economic chaos that is going to hit. That matters. People matter.
Indeed we do. at least BA are still offering us an upgrade on our LGW-ALC flight in a couple of weeks!! We, like you are not going to Alicante!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Surely once travel picks up (June/July?) BA will move back into T3. Once COVID-19 is gone won’t the schedules return to normal?
UK current advice is June is when it "peaks" with the current slowing measures in place! It might be a while longer before travel picks up.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt BA’s ops planning goes much beyond the weekend right now. Doubt they are worrying about May or June.

Post Sept 11th, some things came back quickly but it did take years rather than months, a things like security for example changed irrevocably.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC
So from what date will BA leave T3 and shift everything to T5?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Will AA move their handful of flights across too or keep them there
Old Mar 17, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Raffles
As long as this turns out to be a disease which you cannot get twice - and I accept that this is not 100% certain at present but is likely - then it should sort itself out.

What we need, and which bizarrely does not exist, is a test to show that you have antibodies to it. When this is available, two things happen. First, we can tell exactly how many people caught it and threw it off without even getting a headache (if we're lucky, the answer is a lot) and secondly we can give those people approval to go back to normal and start supporting others.

Massively off-topic now though!
In Wuhan, antibodies are found in the blood of those who have recovered. Some of them are donating blood. So you are likely to be correct.
argonath likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by SonicStar817
So does mine for early May.
Originally Posted by bakera
My June flight to HEL is still showing as T3 in MMB.
So does mine from HEL-LHR this Friday but that ain't happening. Playing a game of chicken with BA to see if they'll cancel it before i have to take the voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.