Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Any chance of BA deep cleaning their aircraft?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Do any of you think that BA will use this down time to deep clean their aircraft? Or am I just asking too much? It seems a common gripe on here and other forums that the interiors of their aircraft are downright filthy. There is a very good medical reason to do so now and no time pressures, so how about it BA?
oceanscape likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe
There is a very good medical reason to do so now and no time pressures, so how about it BA?
It's amazing what people can think of asking from a company that's in a fight - probably its biggest-ever fight - for sheer survival.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
In the last few days I’ve seen comments like this plus will they accelerate the conversions to the new club suite and do the T5 lounge updates.

All forgetting that these things cost money that BA is trying to conserve.

They are also ignoring the practical issues such as there are limited quantities of the new suite available -only 3 a day being made - and that assumes the manufacturer has no supply chain issues with needing parts from a China for example.. and that you cant just go out and buy a couple hundred chairs and tables and order acres of carpet etc etc

And as planes are being sent all over the place for storage it’s not that easy to find contractors to do the work that can meet the specifications and have security cleared staff available at short notice
navylad likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
It's amazing what people can think of asking from a company that's in a fight - probably its biggest-ever fight - for sheer survival.
and. Clean aircraft woukd go a long way in getting vack those travellers who gave nit fling BA because of their dirty cabins...
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 1:59 pm

So what? Is it not reasonable to question the cleaning schedules of the planes in the current climate? That is somehow a big ask?

I would assume it is a reasonable question for a BA FF forum.
Qatar Airways and bafan like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steadman
Is it not reasonable to question the cleaning schedules of the planes in the current climate? That is somehow a big ask?​
You can ask whatever questions you like. But don't be surprised if questions that are unreasonable in the current climate get criticised for being unreasonable.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: BAEC
I do think every BA aircraft should have 1 deep clean before returning to service. This is a safety/health measure than them fancying a clean up.
Qatar Airways likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlanA
and. Clean aircraft woukd go a long way in getting vack those travellers who gave nit fling BA because of their dirty cabins...

Let’s be real. Before Coronavirus hit BA had one of its record years, both in terms of passengers and profits, in spite of the £5-a-bottle wine in First, Tinie Tempah twitting about filthy planes and so on.

People go where price lead them. In normal circumstances BA could be flying 737 MAXs running on fuel made distilling the blood of baby seals and if the price was right people would still flock onboard.
Steve_ZA, onylon, mjh0 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by 13901
BA could be flying 737 MAXs running on fuel made distilling the blood of baby seals and if the price was right people would still flock onboard.
Love it! Let me know when your Netflix dark comedy stand-up special is out please.
13901, BERbound and nilsfr69 like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Are you sure? IAG are boasting about £8.5 billion liquidity and saying that no state aid should be offered. For anyone.
Even in these dark days, BA are looking for long term commercial gain regardless of what that means for the people involved.

I have no doubt that outside of the immediate operational distractions, BA are looking how they can use the outbreak to "enhance" the product further for when travel advice permits movement.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 5:19 am

if one has the funds, investing in a recession usually works out very well. if one doesn't have the funds, then it's irrelevant as, well, they don't have the funds
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
Are you sure? IAG are boasting about £8.5 billion liquidity and saying that no state aid should be offered. For anyone.
Do you have the date of that statement? And has anything changed since then?

FWIW, IAG's 2019 report says that revenue was about €25.5bn for the year. To take a very crude indicator of the order of magnitude: if revenue were to drop to net zero, how long would it take to exhaust €9.2bn of cash?

Or to look at it another way, if BA was fighting for survival after 9/11, and the current crisis is worse than 9/11, might BA/IAG genuinely be a fight for survival now?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by BAeuro
I do think every BA aircraft should have 1 deep clean before returning to service. This is a safety/health measure than them fancying a clean up.
Why? the longest the virus is reported to be able to live outside a host is 72 hours. If the aircraft have been idle for at least that long then there is absolutely zero risk.
Soupdragon62 and adrianlondon like this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
I dont believe getting things into T5 (or anywhere in Heathrow) post security is that easy and takes planning and checks. Would be great if they could but im guessing investment will be last thing on peoples minds. Even getting contractors could be difficult if people have to isolate.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
My mum flew back from Gran Canaria on Monday on EasyJet's last flight before they cancelled all flights to Spain and she said the plane was spotless. It looked brand new. The captain was at the door greeting every passenger and she explained that Easyjet had deep cleaned the aircraft before flying it that day. I would hope BA does the same thing especially as they state the following on their Coronavirus (COVID-19) advisory page:

Enhanced aircraft cleaning

The cleanliness of our aircraft is of utmost importance. We have reviewed and made changes to our cleaning programme for aircraft including increasing our cleaning teams and audit inspections. Our disinfectant cleaning fluids are used on every aircraft after each flight to thoroughly clean all hard surfaces in the cabins and lavatories.

All our aircraft are fitted with HEPA filters which remove particulate and bacterial contamination and provide passengers with clean air. They provide the same level of air filtration as hospital operating theatres.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...st-information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.