Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does how you’re dressed still matter?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Does how you’re dressed still matter?

I thought I’d ask a question on a much lighter subject given all the doom and gloom.. I’m watching a great BA documentary from the 90s (it’s on YouTube not sure if I’m allowed to post). They go into a lot of detail about overselling tickets and making people ‘suitable for upgrade’. This is 20+ years ago now... but they’re about to upgrade someone then see he’s wearing shorts and so proceed to pick someone else.

I can’t really remember what I was wearing the the last few times I’ve been upgraded but nowadays I generally just wear gap tracksuit bottoms and a pull over as then there’s no belt to remove and it’s comfortable on the flight (much to my girlfriend’s disapproval). I haven’t had any upgrades lately... I’m wondering if the two are linked
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
It’s irrelevant
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BA
I was upgraded from WT+ to CW wearing leather shorts and a chain around my neck.

makes no difference what you wear.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The whole way upgrades are handled has changed a lot since then.

It's all done my an algorythm and so predetermined - search for 'DUT' and you'll find threads on it - to remove subjective decisions based on being suitably dressed (or handing over a £50 note in your passport)
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:31 am
Original Poster

That’s good to hear.. I suppose The 90s was a different time. Also funny to see that the first looks like a slightly larger wt+ on the old 772s
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do you have the link please?
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The whole way upgrades are handled has changed a lot since then.

It's all done my an algorythm and so predetermined - search for 'DUT' and you'll find threads on it - to remove subjective decisions based on being suitably dressed (or handing over a £50 note in your passport)
yes I’ve heard a bit about dut although apparently there was a document floating around which I can’t seem to find.. having said that I also know of people getting sfu written or stamped on their boarding passes pretty recently and when I was with my girlfriend at PUJ they called out her name at the gate we both walked up they gave her a new boarding pass for CW she snatched my BP and gave it to the agent and the agent then printed me an upgraded BP as well which didn’t seem to follow any system
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (thanks to BOB), UA, Flying Blue, Miles & Smiles, Amex BAPP & Platinum
No-one cares any more. When I took my first flight in 1959 aged five, I had to wear a jacket and tie and still do (voluntarily these days). I do personally draw the line at dirty feet in flip-flops, but airlines don’t.
StingWest, 20Rothmans, POG and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It may not have appeared to follow a system, but it did.

Furthermore, the notion that in this day and age, BA would favor someone in white tie over someone in sweats is absurd. Torn jeans are not associated with poverty or money-losing customers. Quite the contrary.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Schwann
Do you have the link please?
not sure if I can post the link as someone got told off the other day for that. But if you search ‘airline 1990 inside British airways 3’ on YouTube and go to about 42 mins and 30 seconds they talk about upgrades
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I remember back in 1994 on my honeymoon, flying with Emirates to the Maldives, asking for an upgrade as it was our honeymoon. We were very casually dressed as you can imagine going to somewhere like that... only to be put right in my place by a very snooty check-in desk agent... "Not dressed like that!" - I never asked again since.
StingWest and jonkx like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
Originally Posted by MikkelErikson
I was upgraded from WT+ to CW wearing leather shorts and a chain around my neck.
more info needed...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by GaxxyFlyer
more info needed...
No I don't want to hear any more about that
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Nope, always travel in what I feel comfortable in, if heading somewhere hot it will be shorts regardless of cabin.
HighwayToHEL likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:55 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I don't know about BA but for sure some Asian and mid east airlines do have a criteria. Yes the FFM gets priority but if others have to be upgraded then the dress code is also a criteria.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.