Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 flight cancellations | GUF renewals and extensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 flight cancellations | GUF renewals and extensions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If BA cancels the flight before you cancel, then you get the seat fee back, however you need to use the right form.
ba.com/seating

If you cancel before BA cancels, and go for the cash cancellation, you definitely do not get your seat fees back.

If you go for the eVoucher, I think - but don't know for certain - that the seat fees are kept in the voucher for re-use.
Thank you. I am not interested in a voucher just a refund of the Avios and of the fee for seat reservation.
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Hi all,

I have had a GUF2 returned as part of a cancelled booking. Voucher expired between booking and cancellation, so has not been auto-extended. Can anyone suggest an email address to use to request an extension to allow me to re-use voucher? I wanted to leave the phone lines free for those with more pressing issues.

Stay Safe folks
Old Apr 9, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Col0791
Hi all,

I have had a GUF2 returned as part of a cancelled booking. Voucher expired between booking and cancellation, so has not been auto-extended. Can anyone suggest an email address to use to request an extension to allow me to re-use voucher? I wanted to leave the phone lines free for those with more pressing issues.

Stay Safe folks
Just twit them and they will do the necessary. I got mine sorted out within a day.
Col0791 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Anyone have experience of what happens to GUFs if BA cancels the flights, in the case where the GUF has passed expiry and you had already received the 'standard' 6 month expiry extension for non GGL? Posts 2 and 5 don't include that last fact in their particular circs.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
I had my wife's GUF2 extended for another 6 months recently despite having been extended once. Just send BA a twit and mention they cancelled the flights. They will extend.
SecondGo likes this.

Last edited by lall; Jul 22, 2020 at 3:07 am
Old Jul 22, 2020, 12:34 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List & GfL, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
One option is to take a future travel voucher for the booking. That preserves the GUF benefit within the voucher for travel until April 2022.
SecondGo likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:26 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
I have a booking to Australia in late Nov 2020. It used an Amex 2-4-1 and GUF2 to get us F tickets. The GUF2 expires in early Nov 2020 (including the 6 month extension). I'm increasingly sceptical that Australia will reopen its borders at all this year (the various messages coming from Australia seem to imply 2021).

If I take the future travel voucher, I believe that this will preserve both the GUF2 and Amex 2-4-1 as part of the voucher (even after their expiry dates). What happens when it comes to rebooking? My understanding is that using a GUF2 to get into First doesn't require Avios availability, simply A class availability. Will that still be the case when I come to rebook using the future travel voucher? Or will they require First Avios availability?
Old Jul 22, 2020, 7:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lall
I had my wife's GUF2 extended for another 6 months recently despite having been extended once. Just send BA a twit and mention they cancelled the flights. They will extend.
Yes, I think two 6 month extensions of GUFs should be fine atm.

Originally Posted by gms
I have a booking to Australia in late Nov 2020. It used an Amex 2-4-1 and GUF2 to get us F tickets. The GUF2 expires in early Nov 2020 (including the 6 month extension). I'm increasingly sceptical that Australia will reopen its borders at all this year (the various messages coming from Australia seem to imply 2021).

If I take the future travel voucher, I believe that this will preserve both the GUF2 and Amex 2-4-1 as part of the voucher (even after their expiry dates). What happens when it comes to rebooking? My understanding is that using a GUF2 to get into First doesn't require Avios availability, simply A class availability. Will that still be the case when I come to rebook using the future travel voucher? Or will they require First Avios availability?
My expectation would be A class should be sufficient. The FTV is merely a wrapper containing some cash, vouchers, and avios. It shouldn't affect the fare/booking/availability when you come to rebook.
Old Jul 23, 2020, 6:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SecondGo
Anyone have experience of what happens to GUFs if BA cancels the flights, in the case where the GUF has passed expiry and you had already received the 'standard' 6 month expiry extension for non GGL? Posts 2 and 5 don't include that last fact in their particular circs.
So, data point on this, now BA have cancelled the flights which included GUFs. I've received a 12 month extension from the last expiry date of the GUFs (which had already had 6 months added previously). In effect this means I have a few months to use these again and I'm happy with that outcome as it's fair. Flights cancelled yesterday, phoned this morning and all promptly resolved. Well done to BA 🙂

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.