Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruz speaks: "this is worse than 9/11"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by 13901
They could've deferred paying out dividends. LH is allegedly thinking about that. I'd argue, however, that more than 50% of their costs are variable. Fuel, overflight, landing fees, shift pay/flight allowances, and I'd think they'd be able to defer some of the leasing cost and other discretionary expenses.
Will be particularly interesting to see the effect on the likes of Aeroflot, who have long been kept afloat by the hefty payments from European airlines making Siberian overflights.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Perhaps BA could concentrate a bit on their almost taken for granted Canadian destinations. Still basically wide open to travel to here from everywhere and it would probably take a threat from the US to close the US Canada border for the Liberal government to change that. So if people still want a North American vacation lots to do here. Of course if entering through YYZ you would have to go through the horror of the immigration hall where like yesterday you have 2000+ people from every corner of the world packed in like sardines endlessly queuing through tensa barrier lanes despite government guidances to not have people rammed into indoor spaces
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
In my view, this makes it a lot worse. It reads like its intended audience is the shareholders - it is very deadpan and cold.

I'd have expected an internal memo to be a heck of a lot more empathetic than that and at least consider the impact this is having on its staff.
Its just to the point, they are in the .... and I would appreciate that style if I were an employee.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by bmibaby737
I’m starting to fear for the life of the 747 fleet now the way it’s looking.
The only thing is that BA has 32 747s whereas most other airlines have 5-10. Thats why KLM can retire them quickly and feel little impact, BA though would lose a lot of their LH fleet.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
The only thing is that BA has 32 747s whereas most other airlines have 5-10. Thats why KLM can retire them quickly and feel little impact, BA though would lose a lot of their LH fleet.
be accelerated retirements coming though i feel.
BAeuro likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:31 am

They could've deferred paying out dividends. LH is allegedly thinking about that. I'd argue, however, that more than 50% of their costs are variable. Fuel, overflight, landing fees, shift pay/flight allowances, and I'd think they'd be able to defer some of the leasing cost and other discretionary expenses.
Possibly, but remember they have hedged 90% of their fuel for 2020 - at expected volumes. So even fuel is less variable than you think. The dividend gets approved at the AGM in July, so i'm almost certain that they will be cancelling it
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's hoping it doesn't become a regular event or air fares will be extortionate!!
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:40 am

Programs: BAEC Blue, Flying Blue Silver, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here's hoping it doesn't become a regular event or air fares will be extortionate!!
that’s why I hope Norwegian sticks around. I want to carry on getting to New York for £240.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
Possibly, but remember they have hedged 90% of their fuel for 2020 - at expected volumes. So even fuel is less variable than you think. The dividend gets approved at the AGM in July, so i'm almost certain that they will be cancelling it
I'm not an expert on actual jet fuel, but in my limited experience with red diesel for the ground service equipment, we were billed monthly by Airport Energy based on how much the bowser had to fill in the tanks over by the EAA (Terminal 5D). Price per litre was decided previously as you said, but the fuel was billed based on utilisation.

Originally Posted by bmibaby737
that’s why I hope Norwegian sticks around. I want to carry on getting to New York for £240.
Going out on a tangent, those prices are an anomaly... but I suppose that when, eventually, things will settle down there'll be a lot of low fares going out in order to start filling planes up and get cash flowing again.
James91 and bmibaby737 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:05 am

I think a lot of leasing and fuel hedging would have a force majeure clause in it. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the legal bods at BA/IAG are going through these in great detail.

​​​​​​
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:11 am

I'm not an expert on actual jet fuel, but in my limited experience with red diesel for the ground service equipment, we were billed monthly by Airport Energy based on how much the bowser had to fill in the tanks over by the EAA (Terminal 5D). Price per litre was decided previously as you said, but the fuel was billed based on utilisation.
Think of the hedging and fuel bill as two separate things:
  • Fuel - i fill up my plane, and pay the current price
  • Hedging - i enter a contract with someone to buy 90% of this year's fuel at $50 a barrel
    • the fuel price drops to $30, so at the end of the year I have to pay the counterparty $20 * volume for 90% of original planned flying
So even if all flights were grounded for the year, I still have to pay a huge hedging bill
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jonas123
Think of the hedging and fuel bill as two separate things:
  • Fuel - i fill up my plane, and pay the current price
  • Hedging - i enter a contract with someone to buy 90% of this year's fuel at $50 a barrel
    • the fuel price drops to $30, so at the end of the year I have to pay the counterparty $20 * volume for 90% of original planned flying
So even if all flights were grounded for the year, I still have to pay a huge hedging bill
Interesting, thanks. Question: would I still pay the fuel even if I'm not flying? or would I pay the fuel I'm actually using at $50?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
I imagine however that domestic travel is faring a lot better than overseas.[/QUOTE]

likely for nearly every country as so much international travel has been either banned or curtailed
most work environments in NA have banned international travel not just for work related but leisure travel. My workplace has not only banned international but also to the USA and they are talking about local domestic travel also.
i think Europe and NA have just started to see the implications and no one really knows where it’s going but travel will only get more and more curtailed over the next several weeks. I just hope it settles down the mortality is lower than predictions are suggesting and we all get back to where we were:
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:44 am

Interesting, thanks. Question: would I still pay the fuel even if I'm not flying? or would I pay the fuel I'm actually using at $50?
So let me try and example. Normally I use 1000 tons of fuel a year, so in Jan in enter into a hedging contract for 900 tons at $50 a ton. If I fly as expected, my fuel bill should be $50000 for the year if the price remains at $50 for the year

On Jan 2nd, Coronavirus strikes and i cut 70% of flights for the remainder of the year. At the same time, oil price drops to $30 a ton. So my fuel costs for the year are:
  • 30% of flights = 300 tons @ $30 a ton = $9000(if i didn't hedge, this would be my total fuel bill)
  • 900 tons hedging loss @ $20 a ton = $18000 < this is the additional cost that airlines face if heavily hedged. You can see that if the oil price went up to $70, there would be a hedging gain of $18000 or if it stayed at $50, then no money would change hands
LiHS and 13901 like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 11:00 am

Got it thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.