Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cruz speaks: "this is worse than 9/11"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
How soon do you think they will start to cut back on employee numbers?

Is it fair to assume that they would start with WW and EURO fleet as they are more expensive to employ than mixed fleet?
The collective cost of the (relatively) small pilot body exceeds that of the (much larger) cabin crew body, such is the skewed nature of flight economics and would consequently be a sensible place to start, particularly at a time when the supply of pilots to the marketplace has suddenly ballooned and may continue to do so for the foreseeable future. Sadly I suspect the reality will be far different, and BALPA will throw the other 40,000 BA colleagues to the dogs to maintain their privileged position even further.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Andriyko
It is not a downturn. The measures some governments are implementing are dealing death blows to the travel industry. Do not forget that airlines fly almost empty planes during some months without laying off staff because they know that the passengers will come back, the same applies to hotels. There will always be slow periods for the travel industry, and the travel industry have never responded with layoffs for those slow periods. This madness is different though. Airlines won't make people redundant because there is no demand in the next few months, they will do it because they do not see demand long-term. The panic was created, the genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting him back in.

Also, businesses do not owe us an explanation about their redundancy plans and reasons for implementing them. That's between the employer and the employees.

I am not sure what solution you have in mind for the travel industry in this situation but from where I stand, they are in deep ****. This is why the governments must step in because this is of their own making and they must protect people's livelihoods.
Agree. It's not just the travel industry, per se, but a wide variety of industries.
I normally go abroad a lot, spend money in local bars, cafes, restaurants, at gigs, in hotels, etc. Many others on here do this too, as does a far, far bigger audience overall.
Right now we're facing a crisis where even locals aren't going to those places in their vicinity. Irrespective of location, nationality, and so forth, those industries are therefore losing out - to the point of imploding.
When you lose such pubs, bars, venues, cafes, meeting spots, sports grounds, restaurants, and all other varieties under this umbrella, you lose culture. The lack of that doesn't make people want to travel to such locations.
So we all need - while not spending money on flying - to go to our local vendors, utilise them, enjoy them, preserve the culture for future properity for all.
Because, right now, irrelevant of flights being grounded, we're perilously close to losing it all...
​​​​​
Andriyko, T8191, haroon145 and 3 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 7:18 pm

How soon do you think they will start to cut back on employee numbers?

Is it fair to assume that they would start with WW and EURO fleet as they are more expensive to employ than mixed fleet?
I suspect they'll use the opportunity to make all the WW and EURO fleet members redundant. Perhaps it was always the plan to do this at the next downturn. Then when things pick up they can do loads of Mixed Fleet hiring.
James91 and Tottie66 like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by cauchy
I suspect they'll use the opportunity to make all the WW and EURO fleet members redundant. Perhaps it was always the plan to do this at the next downturn. Then when things pick up they can do loads of Mixed Fleet hiring.
Personally, I don't know if it'll be that drastic.

About half of the flying staff is WW/Eurofleet and it takes 3-4 months to hire, train and get somebody ready to fly. Plus there's a need to have a balance between experienced and inexperienced crews. If you axe the entire 'senior' fleets you can't ramp up afterwards.

Also, Cruz's email talked about cash position. Firing a lot of people requires a lot of severance. His email also referred to short and long term unemployment. I think they'll revert to what they reverted to after 9/11 and the 2008 crash, i.e. offering one year off ("Business Response Scheme" I believe it was called), putting people into early retirement as well as outright redundancies.

After VS, the trade body too has called the Government to do something, with some pretty strong words:

Coronavirus: 'Future of UK aviation' at risk, say airlines

In a stark message, Airlines UK said the government's "prevarication" and "bean counting" had to stop.

"We're talking about the future of UK aviation - one of our world-class industries - and unless the government pulls itself together who knows what will be left of it once we get out of this mess," it added.
source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51893151
James91 likes this.

Last edited by 13901; Mar 15, 2020 at 1:32 am
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:20 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Traffic Saturday compared to 365 days ago. This will worsen with the new restrictions. The Lufthansa group is the most affected, with El Al and Alitalia.
ScienceTeacher likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by fransknorge
Traffic Saturday compared to 365 days ago. This will worsen with the new restrictions. The Lufthansa group is the most affected, with El Al and Alitalia.
How accurate is this? Thomas Cook is only down 47%, should that not be 100%?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
It could include condor too which I think is still flying
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
I wonder how the flight loads are, compared with last year?

BA based on that list is less affected than a lot of other airlines, but is no doubt eating quite a cost on poorly-loaded planes that are (or at least were) still departing.

US ban will also see BA move up a fair bit I imagine.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
It’s also for a Saturday, so comments about El Al are misleading as they wouldn’t be running operations anyway.

I love the irony in the Airlines UK statement complaining about ‘bean counting’. Pot, kettle, and all that.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:18 am

UK employment law relating to redundancies won't allow a simplistic selection process based on one person doing the same job as another costing more to employ. Indeed, the opposite could occur as those who have been employed for less that two years can be disposed of very easily - and at very little cost to the employer.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:19 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Do you think BA will be announcing their cuts to the schedule in the coming week?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by 13901
About half of the flying staff is WW/Eurofleet and it takes 3-4 months to hire, train and get somebody ready to fly.
EasyJet training lasts 3 weeks.

Also, Cruz's email talked about cash position. Firing a lot of people requires a lot of severance.
Statutory redundancy pay is low - for someone with 10 years service you're looking at about 5k-7.5k all in, maximum. That's equivalent to 1 or 2 CW tickets per cabin crew member.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sxc
Do you think BA will be announcing their cuts to the schedule in the coming week?
I would expect so.

I heard from a cc member that AC is meeting the union tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by cauchy
EasyJet training lasts 3 weeks.
I'm not talking about 'just training' (which in BA, for obvious reasons, is longer than EZY's), I'm talking end to end, from assessment day to first flight, including referencing, ID'ing, training and kitting out.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:54 pm

I'm not talking about 'just training' (which in BA, for obvious reasons, is longer than EZY's), I'm talking end to end, from assessment day to first flight, including referencing, ID'ing, training and kitting out.
Don't get me wrong, it will be a really nasty outcome and an especially despicable way to treat hard working and loyal staff.

But BA is a ruthless business. I hope that any government bail out comes with strict conditions on treating staff and passengers fairly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.