Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow empty this morning. Why? [BA902 from LHR to FRA, 27 Feb 2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond

I am sitting on the usually packed BA902 from LHR to FRA, but it is almost empty today.

Are people avoiding flying because of virus scares?

View from the back of the bus
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Yes I think so. Lots of businesses are stopping travel.
nollag likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN, HH Gold
All my fights from / to LHR throughout Europe over the last week (incl yesterday and today) were packed. Didn’t see any difference whatsoever.
yabadoo, ahmetdouas and samfrost93 like this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
Companies around Europe start to implement travel restriction (some even start to forbid shaking hands at the office and internal meetings)
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I was in Heathrow this morning (Gatwick yesterday and a few other places too.....). While I would certainly have expected that FRA flight to have more passengers, my perception of T5 was that it is a normal midweek February travel load, which is the quietest time of the year anyway.
ahmetdouas likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Silver
On the BRU flight (to yesterday and from today), there were a few empty aisle and window seats towards the front of ET, with Group 4 & 5 pers (I presume because they boarded towards the end) in middle seats. For example, I was in 7A, a late boarder took 7B but then shifted to 7C when that seat remained empty. It may be a bit of a long jump to this conclusion, but suggests that there were quite a few who decided not to fly? Otherwise my Silver status would have kept 7B empty if there was no-one allocated to 7C? That was the pattern I noticed in a few of the rows.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I flew this week LAX-LHR, every seat in the house was packed.

But yes I would assume total passenger numbers are lower with the change of flights to China and Italy, etc, on top of Feb being a quiet time to fly with the cheapest tickets of the year usually!

Should start picking up in March, the virus won't survive as easily in warmer weather and all the panic should start subsiding, looks like in China it is stabilising, but of course Italy has not reached the peak yet.
Old Feb 27, 2020, 4:52 pm

Interesting. I had booked a cheapish flight from BSL-LHR tomorrow on the late flight. For the first time ever, I've managed to change it to the earlier one free of charge, Also it's worth noting that although it's past midnight here it isn't yet in the UK, so some comments on the same-day-change thread about changes needing to be after midnight UK time aren't correct. Considering my flight was 60 CHF and the earlier one was over 350 CHF, I'm happy. Lost my emergency exit seat, but gained 2 hours.

I'm posting in this thread as I've often tried to do this, and it's never been possible before apart from occasionally saying I can switch to the first flight of the day which I don't want.
20Rothmans likes this.

Last edited by adrianlondon; Feb 27, 2020 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nollag
I am sitting on the usually packed BA902 from LHR to FRA, but it is almost empty today.

Are people avoiding flying because of virus scares?
If you can, please take a picture in 12 months and compare loads.
Will100 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
I’m surprised the BA902 is now usually busy, when I used to fly on it regularly on the 767 it was always empty. Was basically a cargo flight hence using a 767 back then.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomMM
If you can, please take a picture in 12 months and compare loads.
LOL.You really think that's the best we can do?

Reality check: The price of oil is tanking like crazy. Yet, as are airline's stock prices. Flights are increasingly being cancelled not just for sake of the safety of crew and pax, but for predominantly commercial reasons as well (look just at what EZ and W6 did within the last 24h; they're cancelling flights due to the dip in demand).
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is also UK half term which suppressed business travel somewhat, and FRA isn’t really a leisure destination!
Old Feb 28, 2020, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pvgman
Companies around Europe start to implement travel restriction (some even start to forbid shaking hands at the office and internal meetings)

Yes, Aviva are one of the companies to ban all business flights
Old Feb 28, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
The large Internet company for which my wife works just banned all "non-essential" travel - just before she was about to cancel her trip to Milan next week....
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Most of my flights this week have been no emptier than usual.
Bit quieter to Milan, but most other places, no difference.
Today's flight showing 12 rows of CE. No idea how full until I board.

Not bothering me. Going to increase my flights over the next month.

Was hoping that Finnair might drop their HEL prices so I can do a run or two on the A350, but they're still 2-3x as much as BA even with potentially far less Asian connecting traffic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.