Wiki Posts
Search

HKG - LHR flight with no availability

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
HKG - LHR flight with no availability

I'm booked on BA028 on Friday in CW. There's been an aircraft change from A388 to 773.

When I try and book another seat, it's completely sold out in economy and same again on Saturday.

This seems very strange. Any ideas why?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
For the aircraft change, see *Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Spoiler alert: It may have nothing to do with the coronavirus.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Reduction of 170 seats meaning currently juggling availability ?
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by anonymous_third_party
I'm booked on BA028 on Friday in CW. There's been an aircraft change from A388 to 773.

When I try and book another seat, it's completely sold out in economy and same again on Saturday.

This seems very strange. Any ideas why?
There are 120 less economy seats on the 773 compared to the 380, which is probably by it's sold out.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA SIlver, Virgin Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite
Pretty grim having a mega full flight leaving from Hong Kong right now.

Glad I'm in CW.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Alternatively they might be considering cancelling it altogether. My son flew last Saturday and had an entire row to himself, as did everyone else.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Alternatively they might be considering cancelling it altogether. My son flew last Saturday and had an entire row to himself, as did everyone else.
There are quite a lot of people booked onto these flights. Seat maps may be useless for anything that requires precision, but there's enough on these seat maps to show that these aren't likely to be empty flights.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I flew on Monday night. Flight was full
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by aidy
I flew on Monday night. Flight was full
Me too. The airport felt like a ghost town though.

With so many cancellations it is perhaps unsurprising that some of the remaining flights are busy, but many are still not. It’s all rather upsetting tbh.
aidy likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 9:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
If you think you're in for a quiet flight then I suspect you're rather mistaken. If you want to travel, make sure you do OLCI as early as possible.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
The BA 31 was cancelled to HKG from LHR yesterday and it seems that there is only one flight per day at the moment. Seems that BA may have over-estimated how much capacity they can cut from the route at the moment.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
The BA 31 was cancelled to HKG from LHR yesterday and it seems that there is only one flight per day at the moment. Seems that BA may have over-estimated how much capacity they can cut from the route at the moment.
The frequency reduction has been in place for two weeks now - see *Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts - and it is supposed to be a 380 every day (with one exception in mid-March). The simpler explanation would still seem to me to be an injured aircraft - see BA11/BA12 LHR-SIN Cancellations 24/25 Feb 2020 and https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-xlec.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I very much doubt they over-estimated anything... it’s not exactly difficult (even for BA) to add up how many pax you’ve got booked before electing to cancel something. However, I imagine the lack of premium bookings, plus the sheer cost of running each of those flights, means it’s still beneficial to do so.

As a beneficial fallout, it has meant that anyone booked over the next 3 days has a flexible rebooking policy for the next fortnight, which includes CX flights, even when arranged through the contact centre.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Me too. The airport felt like a ghost town though.

With so many cancellations it is perhaps unsurprising that some of the remaining flights are busy, but many are still not. It’s all rather upsetting tbh.
mans the walk from the pier to gate 5 was not fun! It was soo quiet!

(I also apologise is you heard my baby keep on making noise in the lounge)
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
The reduction is in place until the end of May.
My HKG-LHR flight is in June and I’m the only one in CW so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.