Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Discrimination (Coronavirus?) on British Airways

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discrimination (Coronavirus?) on British Airways

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
The only part of this I find very confusing is that if they were converting the row from CE which would have 4 passangers to Economy, which would ahve 6 surely if it was while things were changed the other 4 passangers would need holding back also? Surely with FLY if you can issue BP for the the other 4 you can do the same for these two passangers or could it be they needed to record it as a downgrade?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:07 pm

orange1, sorry to hear about your downgrade. I wouldn't say that there is racism or discrimination involved; I'm a white European and I had similar experiences, from GVA, LHR and also LYS. I should point out that in all 3 cases I was an employee on a standby ticket, but with a seat. In all 3 cases there was something wrong with my booking, I'd been re-seated or thrown out of the flight: in all those I was told to make myself sparse and wait; in all cases they spoke to me in French (without so much of a m'sieur) and told the good news afterwards.

The gate agents are contracted and, unless you're lucky and get the (awesome) station manager or the great duty managers (all former BA if memory serves me right) you're left with guys and gals who don't do multitasking.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:09 pm

why assume racism and not something less sinister? delaying your boarding protects no one from coronavirus, so that is illogical to assume as the reason.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I would think what could happened is the OP checked in online downloaded the boarding pass and they were hand bag only. So the first time ground staff had any contact with them is during boarding. Computer said no. I’m not sure what is the computer setup in GVA but in many outstation they just have one or two computers. When those “set” to boarding they can’t switch to other part to Fly. So ground staff asked them to wait until everyone who had a “proper” boarding pass to board and then they switched the application on one of the PC to fix the OP boarding pass. Once it was done they could board the flight. Probably other people who were similarly had this issue were checked in bags or picked up boarding passes at check in so those issues were solved there.
I don’t think there was any discrimination, though I’m not sure why ground staff couldn’t explain this better.
mctaste likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
It sounds like a very confusing situation and I cannot explain why you were held back but I do know that BA is not a racist company.
The only thought is that due to the change of the configuration some seat changes were being actioned which needed to be updated before you could board.
BA may not be a racist company, but that doesn't mean that BA doesn't have racist employees. All airlines have racist employees, and they all seem to come out of the woodwork when something comes out. My large employer, who I'd argue is not racist, just had to send out a "don't be racist about coronavirus you jerks" email, likely due to some isolated incidents. "Our company isn't racist" isn't a good argument when your company is made up of more than 1 person and particularly when you have thousands of employees and contractors.
That said, nothing here strikes me as motivated by race or coronavirus, but operational reasons. OP should seek and should get compensation.
MaxFlyer, orbitmic, :D! and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste
why assume racism and not something less sinister? delaying your boarding protects no one from coronavirus, so that is illogical to assume as the reason.
I avoided the word racism as you rightly called out it is more sinister, instead I used discrimination just to call out the different treatment received. Unsure the reason why we were specifically singled out of 8-12 downgraded passengers but this has never happened before on any other BA flight or other airline flight before.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by nmpls
BA may not be a racist company, but that doesn't mean that BA doesn't have racist employees. All airlines have racist employees, and they all seem to come out of the woodwork when something comes out. My large employer, who I'd argue is not racist, just had to send out a "don't be racist about coronavirus you jerks" email, likely due to some isolated incidents. "Our company isn't racist" isn't a good argument when your company is made up of more than 1 person and particularly when you have thousands of employees and contractors.
That said, nothing here strikes me as motivated by race or coronavirus, but operational reasons. OP should seek and should get compensation.
Of course you are correct but I do not believe this was the case in this instance.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by orange1
I avoided the word racism as you rightly called out it is more sinister, instead I used discrimination just to call out the different treatment received. Unsure the reason why we were specifically singled out of 8-12 downgraded passengers but this has never happened before on any other BA flight or other airline flight before.
“discrimination because we are east asian” is equivalent to “racism”. you assumed it was because of race...

there was a good possible explanation a few posts back!
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisz
I would think what could happened is the OP checked in online downloaded the boarding pass and they were hand bag only. So the first time ground staff had any contact with them is during boarding. Computer said no. I’m not sure what is the computer setup in GVA but in many outstation they just have one or two computers. When those “set” to boarding they can’t switch to other part to Fly. So ground staff asked them to wait until everyone who had a “proper” boarding pass to board and then they switched the application on one of the PC to fix the OP boarding pass. Once it was done they could board the flight. Probably other people who were similarly had this issue were checked in bags or picked up boarding passes at check in so those issues were solved there.
I don’t think there was any discrimination, though I’m not sure why ground staff couldn’t explain this better.
Would have been great to get a clear explanation like the one above. Unfortunately we checked online and at the airport and had checked baggage. Any clarification would have gone a long way. Unfortunately we got none other than we needed to wait after everyone else was on and we weren't in the system. Mind you, this was even before checking/scanning our tickets.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by orange1
As I have said there was a reason for this but I believe it was an operational problem but we never know, please accept my apologies on behalf of the BA staff.
golfmad and Telecasterman like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by mctaste
On the contrary, it is wholly logical if indeed a prejudicially driven action. It may not protect anyone from the virus, but would very much empower an agent in their prejudicial views.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Krisz
Very likely. In BRU for example there’s a central podium where issues can be sorted out as it’s not used for main boarding. I don’t know GVA but many airports with smaller gate areas won’t have the ability to do this. They could be politer about it... but not everywhere has the same cultural expectations, and let’s not forget they’re under pressure to get everyone boarded by a certain time.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
Very likely. In BRU for example there’s a central podium where issues can be sorted out as it’s not used for main boarding. I don’t know GVA but many airports with smaller gate areas won’t have the ability to do this. They could be politer about it... but not everywhere has the same cultural expectations, and let’s not forget they’re under pressure to get everyone boarded by a certain time.
This has already been debunked by the OP already, he checked in at the airport. It sounds like a clear case of discrimination to me. I have no doubt BA is a diverse company (except the board of course ), but that doesn't mean it might not have a few bad apples. When it comes to discrimination I like to fight fire with fire and would have had a fake coughing fit all over the gate agent...
Can I help you and MaxFlyer like this.

Last edited by Thepi; Feb 24, 2020 at 2:15 pm
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:18 pm

"Mind you, this was even before checking/scanning our tickets." To be clear... are you saying they didn't even know who you were, what your names were, and what class you were booked for when they told you to step aside? If thats the case, then let's stop dancing on the head of a pin and figure out why in the world these folks were treated like this... no excuses. If this is not the case... then OP, you need to be more clear if you are going to make such statements. Not drawing conclusions either way here, but would like to know if this is pure and simple discrimination, or just coincidental happenstance.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:22 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Thepi
It sounds like a clear case of discrimination to me.
It certainly is not 'clear' so while you may jump to that conclusion it's not possible to justify it.
Stormbel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.