Wiki Posts
Search

Return Leg that's not needed ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Return Leg that's not needed ideas?

I have bought a LHR-NBO return ticket however the return is actually no longer needed. Does anyone have any ideas as to what to do with the return flight? I made the booking through a travel agent. As the return is NBO - LHR i can't reroute or anything like that.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Is it changeable to the extent that you can push it out into the future? If so then (a) try to schedule it for when you may be able to use it or (b) hope that there's a schedule change that permits you to cancel it. Alternatively, cancel it and try to recover some cash from taxes/fees.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
I didn't know it was possible to get cash back from taxes/fees because it is always cheaper to get a return flight than a single flight and sometimes a single flight is all you need! Will look into it! Thanks. I am alsoo looking at maybe using that leg as a start of a tier point run and somehow end up back in NBO maybe using QR or something
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by djtriggz
I didn't know it was possible to get cash back from taxes/fees because it is always cheaper to get a return flight than a single flight and sometimes a single flight is all you need! Will look into it! Thanks. I am alsoo looking at maybe using that leg as a start of a tier point run and somehow end up back in NBO maybe using QR or something
Don't get too excited, depending on your ticket it might not be much if anything. I would investigate whether you can change it to a date in the future.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by djtriggz
I made the booking through a travel agent. As the return is NBO - LHR i can't reroute or anything like that.
Is that a travel agent restriction? If it's a published fare, you might be able to reroute the inbound half in some way, although the options may be limited for fare combination reasons.

For a random example, perhaps re-route the inbound half to JNB-LHR at some suitable date in the future, and then get a one-way Avios ticket out there?
Old Feb 18, 2020, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You will need to read the fare rules for the segment in question as well as the terms you agreed to with the TA. The latter may be over and above BA's.

It is definitely worth the effort to do this as it is possible that the ticket is refundable or at least flexible.

If you trust your TA, simply ask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.