Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA2601 diverted to CGN [15 Feb 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

BA2601 diverted to CGN [15 Feb 2020]

Hi. Currently in a customer service queue at CGN. BA 2601 LPA to LGW diverted. Mayhem. BA app says flight leaving 0200, however we're all waiting in a queue for hotels overnight. What!?!! Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:39 pm
Suspended

My guess is you were diverted to CGN due to weather at LGW and the crew are now out of hours.
Other flights from the Canaries have been diverted to Porto and Bilbao.
If you buy meals, keep receipts for reimbursement.
Fingers crossed the weather improves at LGW and you fly tomorrow.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Feb 15, 2020 at 4:56 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
What have you been told about why you diverted, if you are queuing for hotels it seem obvious you are staying there overnight?
Old Feb 15, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Sorry to hear, northeastflyer!

If crew is out of hours they provide you with a hotel, but at this hour it might be difficult ... You might want to look for your own hotel and later ask for reimbursement - obviously I can’t make any promises on behalf of BA. The other question is how they rebook you. I guess they will operate an extra flight from CGN to LGW. If not, there is a scheduled flight BA2656 at 19:55, which has some availability, but of course not enough for a whole plane load ... Also rebooking you on this flight is not straight forward, since your original ticket does not contain a CGN-LGW segment. So either the ticket needs to be reissued or FIM (flight interruption manifest) be issued.

If however the flight is operating at 2am, with the same crew, that resolves the issue ...
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:15 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The diversion was caused by the bad weather at LGW, the aircraft did two go-arounds and then had to divert to somewhere with calmer weather. Given the LPA crew would have worked the service to LPA as well as back, I'm almost certain they were out of hours, even if the BA App hasn't worked that out. I suspect there is an automated process that shows potential timings from the diversion but it won't be programmed with the crew's backstory. The flight left LGW for LPA at 10:20, so the crew will have been working since before 10:00 until landing in CGN at 21:41 GMT (an hour later local time), not helped by a one hour slot restriction leaving LPA. So I'm sure the crew would have been exhausted by this stage. If they are out of hours then the crew need their 8 hours sleep plus other bits and pieces from FTL, which means I can't see the flight taking off before 09:00 hrs tomorrow.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
on occasions like that I've never put myself into a queue at the airport, but simply opened my Marriott app and booked myself a hotel. everything below 200GBP should be ok (based on my experience). they always reimbursed my taxis to/ from the hotel as well. as others said, keep all the receipts. For the rebooking I would call BA directly from your hotel.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
Deleted

Last edited by BAeuro; Feb 15, 2020 at 6:04 pm
Old Feb 15, 2020, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

To answer all the questions... the flight was diverted after two goarounds at LGW due high winds. We are now in a hotel in CGN after much confusion at the airport and the BA app saying the flight was leaving at 0200. Have had a text in the last 30mins saying that the flight is rescheduled to 1630. Very very poor customer service at the airport though, but safety first.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:08 am

This plane was supposed to be my outbound from gatwick to Nice this afternoon, clearly not going to be there. Anyone know if they're likely to change aircraft or if we're going to end up with knock on problems...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
They have cancelled a number of flights from LGW today, not your afternoon service to NCE, but I'm sure that means they will have another aircraft available. Plus a Sunday in February is not going to be a stretch point for crew or equipment. Welcome to flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum Cooperjam, I hope you will have a good flight this afternoon.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It is still scheduled to be this aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 5:16 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Cooperjam
This plane was supposed to be my outbound from gatwick to Nice this afternoon, clearly not going to be there. Anyone know if they're likely to change aircraft or if we're going to end up with knock on problems...

Looks like you will have ATN this afternoon and ATK is now going to do Porto instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.