Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines to join oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Does anyone know by any chance or have any insight if Alaska Airlines Discounted Revenue First Class ( I fare ) would give Tier Points and Avios when Alaska joins the alliance on 31 March 2021. Currently, it's giving 0 Avios to BAEC members on all flights.

There are pretty good AS deals ( US transcontinental for $191 ) and I am not sure weather I should enter my QRPC or BAEC number.

Currently, I fare class gives mileage for QRPC members but not for BAEC.
Also, I might wait until Alaska joins the alliance to enter my FFP number. Depending on the earning rates, I'll choose to enter my QRPC or BAEC number.

Thanks for any help in advance.

By the way: Mods, please change the title of this thread to [ Spring 2021 ] as there is now a confirmed date for Alaska to enter the OW alliance.
I would wait. I expect AS to realign fare classes to more match what is common in OW, In particular AA and for the OW RTW tickets (AONE*, DONE*. LONE*. etc)
A few years ago AA reclassified most(all?) 2 class USA domestic first to D. Was a great earner for non USA ffp's (QF, BA etc) when was A-F fare buckets.
If AS has a first class fare with a high first class fare bucket they will be out of alignment with AA. Would soon see people booking AS instead on AA where possible due to the better status earning.
You can change ffn any time up to the flight. But AA does not permit if you got a benefit from AA status, but would not apply to you.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 17, 2020 at 9:42 pm Reason: added wtc link
Old Dec 17, 2020, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You can change ffn any time up to the flight. But AA does not permit if you got a benefit from AA status, but would not apply to you.
Nice to know this, flights would be AS metal on an AS stock ticket booked through AS.com
Also, I've decided to wait until AS joins oneworld and see the TP & Avios rates and then decide on which FFP to credit.
I'll prefer BAEC as I would have already met the thresholds for both BA Gold & QRPC Platinum by then and crediting to BA Gold would be helpful boosting my lifetime TP's.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 3:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond
Any insights on Tier points and Avios collection once AS joins oneworld in March? I would expect Tier points will be collected once AS joins the fold but I haven't seen any official notices.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Discussion and speculation has been occurring in the following thread:
Alaska Airlines to join oneworld
Mwenenzi and BosEuro like this.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BosEuro
Any insights on Tier points and Avios collection once AS joins oneworld in March? I would expect Tier points will be collected once AS joins the fold but I haven't seen any official notices.
When Royal Air Maroc joined oneworld, the Tier Point and the Avios collection rates were updated after they joined oneworld.
Don't keep your hopes high for an official notice far in advance, this is BA and most likely we wouldn't see any updates until the last week of March.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, BA Gold
AA has posted the new earning chart for the realigned fare classes.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm really curious about the TP rates for Alaska Airlines.
I hope Domestic First counts as First in terms of TP and flights over 2000 TP give 210TP's and flights under that range give 60TP's.
We have two days until we know the answer.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:12 am

I hope Domestic First counts as First in terms of TP and flights over 2000 TP give 210TP's and flights under that range give 60TP's.
Given the eligible AS First Class fare buckets appear to be J,C,D and I it seems First Class is in name only as with most AA domestic services. I suspect your curiosity will end in disappointment and qualify for 40/140 tier points.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 1:20 am

I haven't researched this thread properly enough for an answer but what I think will be interesting is whether AS will continue to offer lounge access to F flyers without status - as is the case at AA where OW status appears to be the key to gaining access.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I haven't researched this thread properly enough for an answer but what I think will be interesting is whether AS will continue to offer lounge access to F flyers without status - as is the case at AA where OW status appears to be the key to gaining access.
I agree, I only noticed the other day that buying an F ticket on Alaska meant you got lounge access, which is just like BA, QF etc when you buy Club or Business Class.

I guess they have no reason to change it though, it's not like they will suddenly have more F seats available which would crowd the lounges.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 4:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
We already know the answer, their fare classes are being realigned and become very similar to the AA structure. The front cabin will be JCDI with business TPs and Avios. This also means you will be paying fewer avios for redemptions too.
geo1005, KARFA and wylek like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:08 am

I hope they don’t, and are instead classed as Business like the AA ones. I have a few redemptions in mind and for which I would far rather pay the lower Business rate.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Confus
I hope they don’t, and are instead classed as Business like the AA ones. I have a few redemptions in mind and for which I would far rather pay the lower Business rate.
AS thread---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...3-31-21-a.html
Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I agree, I only noticed the other day that buying an F ticket on Alaska meant you got lounge access, which is just like BA, QF etc when you buy Club or Business Class.

I guess they have no reason to change it though, it's not like they will suddenly have more F seats available which would crowd the lounges.
On the contrary, there's every reason to change this - especially for those travelling up and down the west coast and to Hawaii. If I was an AAdvantage member currently and used to using AA on routes competing with AS, I'd be switching over. Not only for the lounge but also for the what I see as more generous partner EQM benefits.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
On the contrary, there's every reason to change this - especially for those travelling up and down the west coast and to Hawaii. If I was an AAdvantage member currently and used to using AA on routes competing with AS, I'd be switching over. Not only for the lounge but also for the what I see as more generous partner EQM benefits.
Presumably those regularly travelling up and down the west coast and to Hawaii are already using Alaska Airlines for the reasons you state. It would make no sense for Alaska to change this. Joining an alliance does not mean you need to change your own product. I'm sure Alaska would be quite happy for AA members to switch!
etiene likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.