Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did BA112 just beat trans-atlantic speed record?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA112 just beat trans-atlantic speed record?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by The Ginge
I have read that often the quota gets suspended in poor weather allowing post 0600 arrivals to land before hand to free up space later on so perhaps this is why it was able to land so early.
The quota is a yearly figure so day-to-day variations make little difference. There is a split between winter and summer seasons but up to 10% of any of the quota each season can be carried through to the following season if it's unused. There's also the issue of 'Quota Count' which is based on noise level so, for instance, one 747 is the equivalent of (I think) eight A319s. Although the vast majority of the LHR night flights are the big un's, the same principle is used at Gatwick and Stansted. I don't know if it's still the case but a couple of years ago LHR and LGW were well below their QC limits, Stansted was borderline.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is this article in the Daily Telegraph online which I thought was interesting. I don't think it is on the paywall.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/t...-it-dangerous/
There is also a Q and A about turbulence.

Here is an extract, with one passenger's perspective:

Originally Posted by The Daily Telegraph
Travel writer Julia Buckley was onboard BA Flight 212 from Boston to London, which though not the record breaking flight, complated a six and a half hour flight in under five hours. "It was the first flight I've ever been on that had the seatbelt sign on the whole way through," she said. "The pilot mentioned it in his address before take off, and warned that it would be a bumpy ride, but a quick one.

"It was actually much better than I expected - it was a little bumpy but nothing too alarming; milder than you would expect with the seatbelt sign on but more prolonged. There were only a couple of pockets when it got to moderate turbulence. The landing itself was quite brutal - we came down heavy and it felt like we took much longer than usual to slow down.

"I would say that the crew were absolutely amazing. I had mentioned to 'my' member of cabin crew on boarding that I was a bad flyer and she (Susan) was absolutely incredible. The cabin was half full and she offered to sit with me if I got nervous, she kept checking on me during the flight, and before take off she even asked one of the pilots to come and speak to me. He sat down with me, showed me the route map and the winds we'd be going through, and told me what to expect. Then a couple of people across the aisle asked him questions about what we were in for as well. We were all geared up to be terrified but they did a brilliant job of explaining everything and keeping us calm."
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is this article in the Daily Telegraph online which I thought was interesting.
BA at it's finest. When they get things right, they are usually really right.
TedToToe likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC silver

QF9 the direct Perth to LHR flight was doing 385kt at cruising altitude around the India/Pakistan border yesterday, isn’t that positively crawling along?
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by Pickles
Pretty impressive. But did it have to wait two hours for a stand once it landed? It would be par for the course at LHR T5.
But at least they didn’t have to hold at all. Looks like they made a straight 180 to line up for 27R. Interestingly, when Concorde did the record she landed straight in downwind against the normal traffic flow. If BA112 had done that they could have shaved another 10 minutes off. Not an option in that wind I imagine!
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: BA Gold Lifetime
In March 1992 JFK to LHR on Concorde. Diverted to Gandar ......we made in back to London in 2 hours.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:06 pm

Storm Ciara: supersonic jumbo JFK-LHR 1327km/h

An absolute record for the jumbo: 4:56 hours for JFK-LHR with peak speed 1327km/h which is just over the sound barrier (?).
And two VA 350-1000s flew the same route in only one minute longer.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/02...ntic-crossing/

A few years ago I flew EK448 DXB-AKL with a very southerly route (completely south of Australia), when we were south of Tasmania the plane (A380) flew 1200km/h, also helped by the jet stream. Despite the detour (15000km instead of 14200km flown), it made the scheduled flying time of 15:30.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Not supersonic as that is the ground speed not the speed in the air (indicated air speed) if that makes sense to you. It was probably at an indicated speed of Mach 0.85 or so.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
Mach 1 is measured as an airspeed only. The aircraft was whistling along at around mach .85 within a block of air that was itself moving very quickly from west to east
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Yes.

I think the majority interest here is:
* Groundspeed
* Getting home quickly
Old Feb 11, 2020, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
ICBA to try to explain the difference between TAS, GS and Mach. Pilots know, though.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 7:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
ICBA to try to explain the difference between TAS, GS and Mach. Pilots know, though.
ICBA? I Can't Be Annoyed? [expecting Ar$ed to be filtered]

I'm a pilot, so familiar with the TAS/IAS/GS and the distinction between those is quite clear to me. I'm just impressed that this record is showing up on my Alexa screen. (Disclaimer: I work for Amazon.)
T8191 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Article on CNN at https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...gbr/index.html that suggests it was a record
Old Feb 12, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
DAmn you'd be seriously annoyed if you paid for an upgrade to Club or First and that happened. If you did it going the other direction though, then that would be a bonus...
Old Feb 12, 2020, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Penfold101
DAmn you'd be seriously annoyed if you paid for an upgrade to Club or First and that happened. If you did it going the other direction though, then that would be a bonus...
On the other hand, if you had a hotel or bed waiting for you in London, you could just about spin it out like

00:00 Take off
00:30 pre dinner drinks / apéritif
01:00 starters
01:45 mains
02:15 dessert
02:30 cheese
02:45 digestif
03:00 chocolates
03:15 espresso
03:30 smoothie
03:45 breakfast starter
04:00 breakfast mains
04:29 tea
04:30 "cabin crew that's 20 minutes to landing".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.