Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Did BA112 just beat trans-atlantic speed record?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did BA112 just beat trans-atlantic speed record?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by 1010101
One for the pilots - on days like today might you push the throttle a little further forward knowing the record might be in reach?
This is the official company line from the BBC article:
British Airways said: "We always prioritise safety over speed records."

I could be wrong but I doubt you'll see any BA pilot contradict that position on a public forum
Old Feb 9, 2020, 8:59 am

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by golfmad

I could be wrong but I doubt you'll see any BA pilot contradict that position on a public forum
I think for the Concorde record the flight crew pre-notified ATC to try and minimise any potential delays as they had a good idea that the conditions meant a record was possibility. No idea if this occurred with 112. Imagine not though.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:03 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
BA should install a little plaque to CIVP to acknowledge the achievement!
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Trent900
BA should install a little plaque to CIVP to acknowledge the achievement!
If BA's publicity machine is working properly - given it is distracting the various hassles thousands of passengers are getting today and has made no. 2 in the BBC UK's news top articles list - they should do a video shoot with the crew and Victor Papa in the near future, with G-BOAB photo bombing in the background.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 9:21 am

I said to myself after Norwegian took the record that BA (to LHR) would never retake it due to the usual holding and delay that happens into LHR.

I guess the planets or winds aligned last night giving faster speeds and not much holding due to the cancellations.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Assuming that other flights due to land before the 6am curfew had been cancelled or delayed allowing these flights to land before 6? Unless I've missed something
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by golfmad

I understood that 'pushing the throttle' comes at a fuel cost rather than safety. In which case it is very possible that BA would tell the pilots to fly in a more costly way.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sds1493
I understood that 'pushing the throttle' comes at a fuel cost rather than safety. In which case it is very possible that BA would tell the pilots to fly in a more costly way.
Presumably one doesn’t want to burn off precious fuel needlessly in the pursuit of a vain speed record, if the prospect of multiple go-arounds and potential diversion await at the destination. So I can see why the official line speaks of this as a safety issue.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Just for interest. Here is the story of Concorde’s record.

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ircraft-392882
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Assuming that other flights due to land before the 6am curfew had been cancelled or delayed allowing these flights to land before 6? Unless I've missed something
There is no curfew. There are restrictions on the numbers of flights that can land / take off during night hours but there is no absolute bar.

https://www.heathrow.com/company/loc.../night-flights
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
I'm trying to get my head round the services - assuming meal on offer within hour of takeoff (if wanted), 40 minutes to land at roughly 4 1/4 hours in, that means breakfast must have been served within 2hrs of dinner?
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jimlad48
I'm trying to get my head round the services - assuming meal on offer within hour of takeoff (if wanted), 40 minutes to land at roughly 4 1/4 hours in, that means breakfast must have been served within 2hrs of dinner?
This is WW fleet and they're normally fairly good at getting dinner out quickly, not least because in Club many would decline. But still I'd expect dinner to be going on for at least some passengers 90 minutes after departure. Then breakfast would start presumably 75 minutes from landing, so yes, about 2 hours between the two events.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Pretty impressive. But did it have to wait two hours for a stand once it landed? It would be par for the course at LHR T5.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
Assuming that other flights due to land before the 6am curfew had been cancelled or delayed allowing these flights to land before 6?
There is no curfew. There are restrictions on the numbers of flights that can land / take off during night hours but there is no absolute bar.
Originally Posted by Pickles
Pretty impressive. But did it have to wait two hours for a stand once it landed? It would be par for the course at LHR T5.
For the record:-
Code:
DOBA112/08FEB
* OPERATIONAL FLIGHT INFO *            BA 112   -2 SA 08FEB20   
CITY INFO                                       HOUR (LOCAL)  

JFK  LEFT THE GATE                              1820            
     TOOK OFF                                   1847            
     ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL                  0504     LHR    
LHR  AIRCRAFT LANDED                            0442            
     ARRIVED                                    0447            
*1A PLANNED FLIGHT INFO*              BA 112   -2 SA 08FEB20    
APT ARR   DY DEP   DY CLASS/MEAL          EQP  GRND  EFT   TTL  
JFK          1830  SA FAJCDRIWETY/M       744         6:55      
                      BHKMLVSNQOG/M                             
                      X/M                                       
LHR 0625  SU                                                6:55
As BA112 was scheduled to arrive after 0625, presumably its early landing would then have used some of the quota, unless quota counting was suspended because of the weather conditions.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:59 am

Programs: BA
I have read that often the quota gets suspended in poor weather allowing post 0600 arrivals to land before hand to free up space later on so perhaps this is why it was able to land so early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.