Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why are the IST and HEL routes so popular with this forums members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Might just be me but I seem to see many more posts on this forum regarding these two BA routes than any of their other routes?
Now I've been to HEL several times but wouldn't have thought it would be that popular given the price of a pint there...plus the weather isn't that great. Never had the slightest inclination to go to IST and don't anyone else who has....and if I did it would likely be with Turkish Airlines which I'm led to believe is the bee's knees.

So what gives?
Old Feb 2, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Isn't IST a cheap way to get points? Crazy cheap fares and actually a really cheap city to visit for foreign currency owners with quite a lot of nice things to do!
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Two words: Tier Points.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...er-thread.html
See post 1 in that thread and from the wiki in that thread:
Need 125-160 TPs
Take a look at the shorthaul plus routes earning 80 TPs each way in business listed in the first post of this thread (here), MLA, IST, HEL and RAK are usually available. If time sensitive take a look at BA flight and hotel option to HEL, where you can usually get the last BA flight out on a Saturday, airport hotel and first return Sunday for well under £500.

Alternative options include positioning to JER and flying JER-LGW-XXX (AMS usually works well and avoids switching airports).

Need more than 160 TPs
You'll most likely be heading north then - OSL or VNO via HEL will get you 240 TPs, as will JER-LGW/LHR-HEL e.g. LHR-HEL-OSL for £520.
DUB-LHR-HEL return (or return to LHR) is currently a very efficient way of hitting 200-240 TPs
HIDDY and Gastrocnemius like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Might just be me but I seem to see many more posts on this forum regarding these two BA routes than any of their other routes?
Now I've been to HEL several times but wouldn't have thought it would be that popular given the price of a pint there...plus the weather isn't that great. Never had the slightest inclination to go to IST and don't anyone else who has....and if I did it would likely be with Turkish Airlines which I'm led to believe is the bee's knees.

So what gives?
80 tier points. IST is rather interesting. MLA is another 80 tier point run, see Uncle T's trip reports
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I'm a lot wiser now.
argonath and IFE Wizard like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Of course, BA Oneworld members will post about HEL issues in this forum, even if flying Finnair and Finnair is a great way to get from UK to far east and get Oneworld miles and TPs.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Because I live in IST and ex-IST BA fares are generally super cheap.

However, it's not the cheapest BA destination in Europe to position, they have super good PE and CW deals such as $1299 r/t and $1899 respectively to North America. ( + You get 2 free stopovers when you purchase the same ticket through AA ) ,or WT, if you are traveling off-season, I remember flying to JFK r/t for $459. Also, I've spotted 150GBP r/t to LHR for May 2020.

For HEL, it's a OW hub and you would expect Tier Point runners and OW frequent flyers to stop or route through there. It's like the CPH or VIE of *A or like the NBO or SVO of SkyTeam.
HIDDY and ginger50 like this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 10:09 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I'm a lot wiser now.
If you are tempted for a TP to IST let me know and I will take you for a beer
HIDDY likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Midships
Of course, BA Oneworld members will post about HEL issues in this forum, even if flying Finnair and Finnair is a great way to get from UK to far east and get Oneworld miles and TPs.
Absolutely - and a no brainer if travelling from the North or Scotland. Transferring in HEL is far more pleasant than T5 and the journey time is significantly shorter. The early evening flight out of Manchester (AY1366) from T1 is a sweet spot for tavelling through the nightmare that MAN is. Plus as OWE you get the Platinum Wing of the Lounge in HEL. Then A350's on most Asian flifgts.... and invariably the cheapest fares.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:17 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Modo
Absolutely - and a no brainer if travelling from the North or Scotland. Transferring in HEL is far more pleasant than T5 and the journey time is significantly shorter. The early evening flight out of Manchester (AY1366) from T1 is a sweet spot for tavelling through the nightmare that MAN is. Plus as OWE you get the Platinum Wing of the Lounge in HEL. Then A350's on most Asian flifgts.... and invariably the cheapest fares.
just a shame they went for a poor seat in J on the a350 though.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
.. Never had the slightest inclination to go to IST and don't anyone else who has..
Well this is disappointing, IST is a brilliant city to visit, and it seems weird you've never met anyone that thinks that!

..and if I did it would likely be with Turkish Airlines which I'm led to believe is the bee's knees...
This is quite true though, Turkish run widebody aircraft on the route, and the narrowbodies have IFE throughout, and 'proper' seats in business, so it's definitely a better choice if you have the option.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Deleted - replied to wrong post

Last edited by OverTheHorizon; Feb 4, 2020 at 10:19 pm
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:42 am

Programs: M&M FTL, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Foltan
This is quite true though, Turkish run widebody aircraft on the route, and the narrowbodies have IFE throughout, and 'proper' seats in business, so it's definitely a better choice if you have the option.
BLASPHEMY!!!!

In all truth, IST is an incredible city (the tiles at Topkapi Palace make it worth a trip alone) and I'm not going to comment on Turkish v BA on this one....
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by KARFA
just a shame they went for a poor seat in J on the a350 though.
Giving too much away - but as Gold/OWE you can select Econo Comfort after paying the lowest fare.....And they thourougly restrict movement forward to empty seats. W for Y ----and the arm rests go down. .....several glasses of vintage Thienot in the Pier First HKG last Friday followed by 9 hours sleep for £408 return was a good start to 2020. Then a Sauna/shower and excellent breakfast before arriving in MAN just after the rush hour with nobody in the ex EU queue for Mrs Modo.

Food portions are tiny and food a tad odd - but with lounge access no need. Blankets are ridiculosly small too - but up front use "many"

And no transfer at LHR T5

What not to like.

Last edited by Modo; Feb 4, 2020 at 10:39 am Reason: Typing too quickly for an oldie
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:18 pm

I thought that it was all about TIA now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.