Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA34 Friday 31st - did 7 staff take up club world seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2020, 11:50 pm
Original Poster

Just grabbing some water at Cafe Neros after getting off BA34. Overheard one person in the queue in BA uniform say that 7 staff were upgraded to club.

I feel a little galled that might have destroyed my chance of getting upgraded from Y despite 2000TP
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Plat, Meliá Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite Plus
Probably staff travel. I think most ba staff are by default booked /standby in Y and can be entitled to an upgrade to a better cabin (Based on job level and tenure.) if seats available.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Even if those 7 seats had not had staff in them the chances of you being upgraded would have been zero absent something like Y being overbooked and even then the op up algorithm - DUT - still might not have chosen you.
dddc, dobba, wrp96 and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by likethis
Just grabbing some water at Cafe Neros after getting off BA34. Overheard one person in the queue in BA uniform say that 7 staff were upgraded to club.

I feel a little galled that might have destroyed my chance of getting upgraded from Y despite 2000TP
Let's make this crystal clear: there's absolutely, categorically, totally no way that staff passsengers can take a seat that was meant to be given to you as an upgrade.

BA upgrades commercial customers, in the majority of cases, due to oversales. If the flight isn't oversold, there's little chance for an upgrade performed automatically by the system (onload/regrade function in Altéa if memory doesn't fail me). So, if there's seats available - or even if there's 0 seats in Y, but no waitlist passengers - chances are that you will not be upgraded. Can staff passengers, in this situation, be placed 'ahead' of you? Absolutely. There's staff on duty travel and staff with J and F-priority tickets. And I won't deny it, staff can be upgraded at discretion by the crew at boarding but - yet again - it doesn't mean they're taking a seat that was earmarked for you.

In the event of oversales, passengers will be upgraded ahead of staff. In other words, if the flight is -7 in Y because of 7 staff passengers, seven commercial customers will be moved to WT+ to make room for those staffers (assuming there's space in the plane). Under no circumstances will the staffers be bumped 'up' instead of you. This is done automatically by Altéa and it's designed to work like this. So there won't be any circumstances where, in an oversales situation, a staff passenger will be overtaking a commercial passengers in the pecking order for an upgrade.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I don’t understand this apparent disappointment exhibited by some. Same as when denied FLUB. BA does not owe you (or me) an upgrade!
Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:51 am

Why would your TP count entitle you for a free upgrade?

Many on this forum are sitting on multiples of your TP count and do not expect free upgrades.
dddc, BA or bust, dobba and 10 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.

Did you travel in your booked and paid for cabin? If so, what’s the issue?

BA doesn’t throw upgrades around just for the sake of it, so if Club matters to you, then paying for it is the way forward.

Expecting an upgrade is going to end in disappointment, feeling entitled to a double cabin upgrade is grotesquely unrealistic.

With my partner we have around 0.2 million tier points. We don’t feel an expectation or entitlement to any upgrade.

Finally, even if they were staff you have no idea what the circumstances of each were or what their cabin entitlements were, so not sure why it’s relevant to make it an issue that they were ‘staff’ ( as opposed to anyone else).
dddc, dobba, flygirl68 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DFB_london

BA doesn’t throw upgrades around just for the sake of it, so if Club matters to you, then paying for it is the way forward.

Expecting an upgrade is going to end in disappointment, feeling entitled to a double cabin upgrade is grotesquely unrealistic.

With my partner we have around 0.2 million tier points. We don’t feel an expectation or entitlement to any upgrade.

Finally, even if they were staff you have no idea what the circumstances of each were or what their cabin entitlements were, so not sure why it’s relevant to make it an issue that they were ‘staff’ ( as opposed to anyone else).
This reflected my sentiments to the point. We are becoming a race which expects entitlement - if you don't want to travel in Y, don't travel or pay for a ticket in higher cabin. If you do get an upgrade enjoy it but never expect one
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club, , Enterprise Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
How terrible that 'the help' are in Club </sarcasm>

This thread reminds me of "Overheard in Waitrose".
Old Feb 1, 2020, 4:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
You are at liberty to seek employment with BA and receive staff travel benefits. Until then, I’m not sure why you would be galled.

I could well be a mid-to-high value customer of your organisation. Am I entitled to any of your employee perks?
dddc, Bellerophon, dobba and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)

We feel a little galled when all you pesky commercial passengers turn up and sit in the seats you paid for destroying our chances of being onloaded on our standby tickets.
dddc, Swanhunter, shefgab and 21 others like this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 5:05 am

Staff travel is well documented on this forum... and one of the reasons often given for standby staff being upgraded is because they’ve paid an upgrade fee... so if this is what happened, why would BA then not give an upgrade to someone actually willing to pay for it in favour of a DYKWIA
Old Feb 1, 2020, 9:49 am
Original Poster

So... I got it wrong. Again. Sorry.

On the plus side, what a great opportunity for a pile on and extraordinary extrapolation for maximum outrage.

For the record:

I don’t think I’m anyone special.

I don’t view BA staff as “the help”.

I don’t *expect* an upgrade, merely hoped for one.

I certainly didn’t expect a “grotesque” double upgrade - I figured less availability anywhere up the cabin chain would limit an upgrade.

Incidentally I have no idea how anyone could get to 0.2 million TP, unless they’re talking about “lifetime” TP.

Feel free to post further character assassinations, and/or make clear how much better a person you are.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by DFB_london

200,000 TPs ? Gosh, that's going it some Lifetime though I suppose while I assume OP 2k are so far this collection year
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:56 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
So... I got it wrong. Again. Sorry.

On the plus side, what a great opportunity for a pile on and extraordinary extrapolation for maximum outrage.

For the record:

I don’t think I’m anyone special.

I don’t view BA staff as “the help”.

I don’t *expect* an upgrade, merely hoped for one.

I certainly didn’t expect a “grotesque” double upgrade - I figured less availability anywhere up the cabin chain would limit an upgrade.

Incidentally I have no idea how anyone could get to 0.2 million TP, unless they’re talking about “lifetime” TP.

Feel free to post further character assassinations, and/or make clear how much better a person you are.
Honey, you may not have intended it - but your post did read like a "Why Them and Not Me". So those were the answers that you got. They were a bit direct, but none of them were directly rude. I'd even suggest that the BA Staff - and frankly whoever said that in your hearing merits a hairbrush across the knuckles as without them opening their big mouths you'd have been none the wiser. We do nor know whether they were dead-heading back to base or if they had been in Kuwait (?) for some business purpost. We do not know if they were Cabin Crew, Managment, or Ground Staff and I doubt that ever ever will.

DFB_london - OP does say something that had crossed my mind - you and your other half accumulate 200,000 Tier Points in a year? I ask because they reset. If you do, I'm almost inclined to offer to come and pour you a Puccitino (basically my take on a G&T with Added Exras). Do tell how you manage that - if you don't mind sharing. I've put my Dead Impressed lipstick on anticipation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.