Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA First Helicopter Ride - QC [Quebec, Canada] Lawsuit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA First Helicopter Ride - QC [Quebec, Canada] Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by durberville
tariff of operating carrier always applies

the tariff is pretty clear... you seat in the first cabin this tariff rule applies. I’d also note it applies to business.

FIRST CLASS OR "F" - FARES APPLY WHEN TRAVEL IS IN THE FIRST CLASS COMPARTMENT OF COMBINATION COMPORTMENT AIRCRAFT.
No, the tariff in this case was what you paid to CX in Asia Miles. Probably a mistake to book this way if you really wanted to chance your arm?

To me, your 2017 post & blog linked above, together with the advice received in reply at that time, makes it clear that this wasn't a genuine query from a confused member of the FT community and that you were well aware of the unlikelihood of the particular benefit. As it took you two years to book, you could of course have considered the advice received and then checked with CX or BA.....

And what exactly did you edit out of this original 2017 post two years later in Aug 2019, at or around the same date as you bought your ticket - presumably something even more unhelpful?
RetiredATLATC likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Doubtful. The tariff quoted applied to published fares. Redemptions fall into the category of unpublished fares
Fair enough and sounds like a plausible argument from BA. I did not look up their response, just saw that there is no dismissal. It is interesting to me all the same.

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
The timing of this thread is quite unfortunate, given the recent tragic news of a loss of 9 people, 1 of which an extremely influential person. My thoughts go out to them and their loved ones.

And in another story, I met a senior aviation lawyer for a multinational avionics company who told me very bluntly and plainly don’t ever fly in a helicopter...! It was a random meeting but a piece of advice that has always stuck with me.

Anyway I’m still not sure the purpose of this thread. But I’d stay away from helicopters. (My own opinion)
The purpose of this thread is to discuss pending litigation against BA. I fail to see what the timing of this lawsuit in Quebec has to do with a helicopter crash in California?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

That's not how airline contracts work. So what applies is the fare rules (in this case, the fare rules governing the award ticket). Some airlines will have additional conditions of carriage, like BA (General Conditions of Carriage) others will simply have the tariff, also known as the Contract of Carriage. The tariff is the "supreme" document that governs your travel - all rights and obligations stem from it. Other documents, such as the fare rules, will govern the nitpicky details of your travel.
Post the full tariff document then. You might receive free legal advice
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:21 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
That's not how airline contracts work. So what applies is the fare rules (in this case, the fare rules governing the award ticket). Some airlines will have additional conditions of carriage, like BA (General Conditions of Carriage) others will simply have the tariff, also known as the Contract of Carriage. The tariff is the "supreme" document that governs your travel - all rights and obligations stem from it. Other documents, such as the fare rules, will govern the nitpicky details of your travel.
You may be factually correct, you might be legally correct, but that doesn't make you morally correct. Similar to the Harvard professor that threatened to sue a Chinese takeout restaurant in MA for overcharging him for $4. (That's Ben Edelman, who is widely known in frequent flyer circles.)

While no one is saying BA is a small-time victim, and in fact most people here would side with you -- suing for a helicopter ride (or its monetary equivalent) from BA over outdated tarriffs makes you look entitled, and I'm speaking purely on optics.
GM1985 and RetiredATLATC like this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold
The DOT doesn’t post tariffs online, unfortunately. However, here is the rule showing as valid on the date of travel. This was received directly from the DOT.
In other words, some form of Freedom of Information request (or the Canadian equivalent) had to be made in order to receive this information? This information is not easily found online or at any BA point of sale? And information, if BA is to be believed, is 27 years old and would seem to still be “valid” with a foreign (to BA) Transport Ministry due to some administrative oversight?

If so, you may well be in the right here on strictly technical grounds. But given the homework involved to obtain this information, I do wonder how reasonable you are.

Either way, I’m sure some poor soul in Waterside has been tasked with reviewing all fare tariffs lodged with every regulator around the world and correcting any further errors like this one.

Best of luck with your case OP. I can’t wait to find out the result!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Enough
Originally Posted by keitherson
You may be factually correct, you might be legally correct, but that doesn't make you morally correct. Similar to the Harvard professor that threatened to sue a Chinese takeout restaurant in MA for overcharging him for $4. (That's Ben Edelman, who is widely known in frequent flyer circles.)

While no one is saying BA is a small-time victim, and in fact most people here would side with you -- suing for a helicopter ride (or its monetary equivalent) from BA over outdated tarriffs makes you look entitled, and I'm speaking purely on optics.

Originally Posted by GM1985
In other words, some form of Freedom of Information request (or the Canadian equivalent) had to be made in order to receive this information? This information is not easily found online or at any BA point of sale? And information, if BA is to be believed, is 27 years old and would seem to still be “valid” with a foreign (to BA) Transport Ministry due to some administrative oversight?

If so, you may well be in the right here on strictly technical grounds. But given the homework involved to obtain this information, I do wonder how reasonable you are.

Either way, I’m sure some poor soul in Waterside has been tasked with reviewing all fare tariffs lodged with every regulator around the world and correcting any further errors like this one.

Best of luck with your case OP. I can’t wait to find out the result!
Actually the story behind how I found this out is different. I'm actually the one (and maybe only?) person who reads airline tariffs.. out of interest. This particular tariff I found on the Canadian Transportation Agency's website. When it became a matter of interest I then confirmed that the same content appeared in the US tariff by emailing the DOT, since airline tariffs are not publicly posted in the USA.

Originally Posted by Bullswood
No, the tariff in this case was what you paid to CX in Asia Miles. Probably a mistake to book this way if you really wanted to chance your arm?

To me, your 2017 post & blog linked above, together with the advice received in reply at that time, makes it clear that this wasn't a genuine query from a confused member of the FT community and that you were well aware of the unlikelihood of the particular benefit. As it took you two years to book, you could of course have considered the advice received and then checked with CX or BA.....

And what exactly did you edit out of this original 2017 post two years later in Aug 2019, at or around the same date as you bought your ticket - presumably something even more unhelpful?
It's actually the operating airline's tariff that applies to your trip. The booking airline's rules may apply to the fare, but the actual rules governing your travel are of the operating airline.

I've asked the moderator to "re-edit" the post from the prior forum and publish it. That has been done. You can now see the original content.

Last edited by Prospero; Feb 1, 2020 at 12:37 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Actually the story behind how I found this out is different. I'm actually the one (and maybe only?) person who reads airline tariffs.. out of interest. This particular tariff I found on the Canadian Transportation Agency's website. When it became a matter of interest I then confirmed that the same content appeared in the US tariff by emailing the DOT, since airline tariffs are not publicly posted in the USA.
The fact you had go through the not-insignificant hurdles or trawling through a 300+ page, poorly scanned document and verifying with a 3rd party country’s regulator goes some way to proving my point, though.

You may very well be right and it is to BA’s misfortune that you were able to get this old but hitherto unretracted tarrif. But I’m not convinced it’s reasonable. Happily, I’m not the one that needs to be convinced

But your chutzpah is certainly to be admired. Best of luck!
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:51 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The tariffs are available on BA’s website, here...

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...urce=BOT_legal

listed under “These rules apply when you travel to and from Canada.”
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GM1985
The fact you had go through the not-insignificant hurdles or trawling through a 300+ page, poorly scanned document and verifying with a 3rd party country’s regulator goes some way to proving my point, though.

You may very well be right and it is to BA’s misfortune that you were able to get this old but hitherto unretracted tarrif. But I’m not convinced it’s reasonable. Happily, I’m not the one that needs to be convinced

But your chutzpah is certainly to be admired. Best of luck!
I'll leave the point that I read it... for fun... years before this! Also, speaks to British Airways that they're the party responsible for scanning and uploading the tariff... and they chose to do so with crooked pages in a way that can't be searched.

and really, punished for actually reading the contract?

Last edited by durberville; Jan 27, 2020 at 7:15 pm
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:53 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Wow this is amazing. In the end of the day, if true BA's legal team simply messed up by not removing this. I am really interested to see the result.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Gold
I predict BA will settle the case and included in that settlement will be a non disclosure agreement with the OP, and we FT’ers will forever (well, until the next interesting topic comes along) wonder what happened.

After which ‘claiming the First Helicopter’ will have a questions and advice thread, much like a mistake fare, that will last for a whole week before BA finally gets around to updating the tariffs.

The final act is a mad scramble to review hundreds of tariffs for all airlines on every route, in the hope of finding long forgotten ‘golden eggs’ which you can then claim we’re not fulfilled.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm curious since my legal experience is only what I see on television. If BA loses and the verdict is for OP for the full amount, does that mean BA would be liable to others who flew in F into JFK and did not receive a helicopter flight? Or would it be more likely limited to those who were denied the perk when they requested it?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
I'm curious since my legal experience is only what I see on television. If BA loses and the verdict is for OP for the full amount, does that mean BA would be liable to others who flew in F into JFK and did not receive a helicopter flight? Or would it be more likely limited to those who were denied the perk when they requested it?
I would think that asking for the helicopter is a required element.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I would think that asking for the helicopter is a required element.
steveholt likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 5:11 pm

Tariff also states that Business Class passengers are entitled to First Class lounge access (where available), or have I totally misunderstood this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.