Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How often are you offered an upgrade at check in for cash?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin, Hilton Honours, Hyatt

Hi all

I have been travelling Virgin Upper for the last 3 years and haven’t flown BA at all during this time.

I have started to fly BA again - mix of classes to satisfy various clients!

I have been offered the option to upgrade for cash a couple of times since Christmas - how often does that happen to you?

Best
Dicker
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
I very rarely get offerd it and if I want it ask for it. There is much more information about it here: Airport Upgrades (AUP) promotion 2020 thread
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Virgin, Hilton Honours, Hyatt
Great - thanks
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:04 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA board Dicker.

Its normally the case only LHR-XXX flights will get you offered a paid upgrade but it's never gauranteed. Online I mean and its called a POUG here. More info in the main Forum Dashboard which is very useful indeed. I hope you enjoy your time here and the more contributions by more members the better!
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Never
Old Jan 26, 2020, 8:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I've been offered nearly every time on my last flights (all long haul). If not offered, best just to ask. Sometimes the number is acceptable, some times it is not. I've heard people ask before and been told it's already full. So in general, best thing to do is just politely ask if paid upgrades available.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Skywards Silver
On a recent flight from CPT back to LHR we were offered a one way upgrade from Club to First for R11,000. Tried for a cheeky 2 fo1 but no joy.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Happens a lot out of BOM on BA.. they are always pitching upgrade offers , pay either Rupees, US dollars or cc.
The offers , are always pretty pricey, have tried to talk them down.... never works
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I have recently seen these mobile 'do you like to upgrade' counters in front of T5 security. Are these only for Avios upgrades/ do they approach passengers proactively?
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If you include a sign in the airport, I'm offered upgrade opportunities all the time in recent months.

If you mean an individual proactive offer, either at checkin or by app/website, then the app/website is "sometimes" and the staff at checkin is "almost never".
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I have recently seen these mobile 'do you like to upgrade' counters in front of T5 security. Are these only for Avios upgrades/ do they approach passengers proactively?
The trolleys have staff with the equipment to handle most things, but not the Avios upgrades, as far as I know, that has to done via the desk in J / First Wing since there are phone calls involved. But the theory is that almost all agents landside in LHR can now upsell AUPs via their tablets. The trolley makes it easier since it also has a printer attached. Not all services have AUPs - at this time of the year it is pretty good availability, but even if CW is near empty, there will be some arbitrary services where AUPs won't be offered.

If you use the self service machine, you may see an upsell message on the boarding pass.
Diver Boy and Duck1981 like this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:53 am

Programs: BA LtG, Flying Blue Plat
I got offered 3 times (check in, lounge x2) at JFK recently offering an upgrade to WTP from WT. ended up in CW for a total of $0 in the end
BlackSkyuk likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Occasionally through BA app I will get a sensible price on an upgrade.

Never been offered a cash upgrade at LHR, and have not asked either.

I have quite often been offered cash upgrades at US stations, including jumps from WT (economy) to CW (business), skipping out premium economy altogether. That was on a flight where WT was not even full - I did not take the upgrade (USD 900 seemed too much) and did not get moved forward otherwise.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: BAEC G, Bonvoy T, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Almost every leg I do in WT+ I get the offer to PUGP
Old Jan 27, 2020, 10:18 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Checked in a family member today whom I had put in Club World (who does not speak English thus staff were talking to me) on BA194 IAH-LHR. Offered to upgrade to first for 859 dollars (did not take it). Had it been me flying I would have likely taken the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.