Wiki Posts
Search

IRROPS Assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
IRROPS Assistance

I'm traveling DTW - ORD - LHR today through ticketed on BA. First flight is AA, second flight is BA. My flight from DTW looks likely to be delayed meaning that I am at very high risk of missing my connection. If this happens, can I ask AA/BA to move me to the AA flight leaving later this evening? If so, will AA agents at DTW/ORD be able to do this? I don't really want to have to change terminals at ORD just to change back to get the AA flight if it is obvious I will miss my connection.

Assistance gratefully received!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by hahaandy1
I'm traveling DTW - ORD - LHR today through ticketed on BA. First flight is AA, second flight is BA. My flight from DTW looks likely to be delayed meaning that I am at very high risk of missing my connection. If this happens, can I ask AA/BA to move me to the AA flight leaving later this evening? If so, will AA agents at DTW/ORD be able to do this? I don't really want to have to change terminals at ORD just to change back to get the AA flight if it is obvious I will miss my connection.

Assistance gratefully received!
Have you tried phoning them? Explain the problem and see what they say. The worst they will say is "no".
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
A skilled AA agent will be able to protect your connection, so yes I would speak to someone there. Admiral Clubs are often the best source of said skilled agents..... It's possible that it has happened already, so keep refreshing your App to see if this has been picked up and you have been rebooked by the robots. You can also call BA as suggested by mikebg, if BA own the ticket (125 stock in other words). If the ticket number starts 001 then AA is responsible for it.

However my experience is that for AA to BA connections (specifically) they don't worry too much about Minimum Connection Time, so even if you have 5 minutes from arrival to departure (and as you indicated, for ORD this could involve a somewhat unslick terminal transfer) the robots tend to leave it.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A skilled AA agent will be able to protect your connection, so yes I would speak to someone there. Admiral Clubs are often the best source of said skilled agents..... It's possible that it has happened already, so keep refreshing your App to see if this has been picked up and you have been rebooked by the robots. You can also call BA as suggested by mikebg, if BA own the ticket (125 stock in other words). If the ticket number starts 001 then AA is responsible for it.
I would try an AAgent first regardless of ticket stock. I suspect they're more likely to be helpful than BA either way.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond
I had this exact scenario a few weeks ago and went to the agent at the Admirals Lounge at ORD. The AA flight after was fully booked so she kindly routed me though PHL and I ended up getting home just 4 hours or so later than originally planned - which was not a bad result given the circumstances.

as an aside I will be running the gauntlet tomorrow of DTW->ORD->LHR and cant check in online for some strange reason ... not a good omen but let’s see.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As it is day of travel IRROPS, it is AA's to fix in the first instance. That is a good thing. You will find much more flexibility from AA. While BA certainly has the ability to change your ticket, it is unlikely to do so and certainly will not until there is an actual misconnect.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club
An update. My original flight from DTW-ORD was very delayed. I wandered through the airport and managed to find a guy who was shouting for people to ORD and was the last person to board the plane! It didn't appear to be an official flight and was complete luck that I found it. Absolutely zero communication, with an earlier request for assistance denied.

I than sat on that plane for over an hour due to ORD being closed to incoming.... On arrival at ORD T3 with 45 minutes to go, I then discovered a transfer bus to T5 which was airside and made the flight with 10 mins to spare.

So, a stressful but excellent outcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.