Wiki Posts
Search

Fly America Act [UuA on BA metal, AA code]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Fly America Act [UuA on BA metal, AA code]

Hi Everyone,

Tried the search - only threads on this topic seem to be in the AA forum...

So since leaving BA (sorry I can’t answer many of your questions in ‘Ask the Staffer’ anymore...), I now work for a defence contractor that does a lot of business in the USA. Since it’s government work, we are bound by the ‘fly America act’, a bit of seemingly nonsense legislation that has either been written before Atlantic joint ventures or by someone who doesn’t understand them.

Therefore, I’m now having to book all my BA flying on AA codes. This presents a problem. My company’s travel policy is for economy plus (so WTP on BA). I prefer a flat seat and would happily part with Avios but can’t.

My question is - is anyone else in this boat? If so, what tips and tricks have you found?

From my searching I think I’ve worked out that it might be possible to AUP an AA codeshared ticket? I’m 40 tier points off Gold this year so that would be super helpful to do that rather than have to do a trip down to London from my home in INV. Either an AUP to my next transatlantic sector or 2x AUPs of LHR-INV or ABZ should do it. I think galleries club south might be the place to ask unless anyone has any other ideas?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I _think_ you could upgrade using AA miles if booked into W...but you would then end up crediting to AA I guess, so not that helpful..

tb
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Yeah it’d take me further away from Gold, and I’d also need some AA miles too. Which is a problem as I don’t collect them.

Edit: for atrocious grammar.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:01 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL
I have AUP'd a BA-metal AA ticket segment and got the enhanced BAEC TP - if that's what you are asking.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: GGL
Not an expert in this area, but I thought BA is part of the Fly America programme under the EU-US open skies agreement. At least for now.

https://www.gsa.gov/policy-regulatio...ly-america-act

EDIT: ah - after reading my own link I see DOD funded travel is an exception.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:42 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by trueblu
I _think_ you could upgrade using AA miles if booked into W...but you would then end up crediting to AA I guess, so not that helpful..

tb
Its perfectly fine to use AA miles to upgrade a BA flight and then credit the flight to BA. But the same flight could also be upgraded with Avios.

The main challenge is that you need to be booked in Y or W (not E or T, the affordable premium Economy buckets).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
Worth checking the fine print. There are all sorts of issues such as "city pairs", but also "open skies" - but with lots of 'ifs' and 'buts'.

European Union:
When traveling to a destination serviced by a European Union airline, travelers flying on a Federal grant can fly on either a US carrier or an EU (European Union) carrieras long as they touch down in an EU country.
Note: travelers on federal funds cannot use city-pair contracts.
There are other exceptions to the Fly America Act which may be appropriate as well. A list of exception criteria may be found in the Federal Travel Regulation Guidelines – FTR sections 301-10.135-138. Please note that lower cost and personal convenience are not acceptable criteria for justifying the non-availability of a U.S. –flag air carrier.
Travelers using Department of Defense (DOD) are not permitted to take advantage of Open Sky Agreements. Travelers using DOD funds must use an American carrier, unless they qualify for an exemption as noted in FTR 301-10.135, sections (a), (d), (e), (f), and (g).

I have the same issue - and of course, the open skies will be all change sometime after 31 Jan since the agreement is US-EU. Do you get the government rate? Also check how up to date the policies are since they seem to updated every month.

With any status you can of course get the MCE seats - which does help (a bit).
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:08 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
Its perfectly fine to use AA miles to upgrade a BA flight and then credit the flight to BA. But the same flight could also be upgraded with Avios.

The main challenge is that you need to be booked in Y or W (not E or T, the affordable premium Economy buckets).
I may be wrong, but I didn't think one can use Avios to upgrade an AA codeshare. And yes, although theoretically one can change the FFN after the fact, in my personal experience (admittedly some years ago), this is not foolproof.

tb
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by alextheengineer
2x AUPs of LHR-INV or ABZ should do it.
The last short haul AUP I did only attracted the TPs of the underlying booking class. So this isn’t fool proof.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:18 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by trueblu
I may be wrong, but I didn't think one can use Avios to upgrade an AA codeshare. And yes, although theoretically one can change the FFN after the fact, in my personal experience (admittedly some years ago), this is not foolproof.

tb
I'm not sure either – my rule of thumb is to assume that codeshares are never upgradeable! There are a few exceptions, but they're generally too complicated.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
The last short haul AUP I did only attracted the TPs of the underlying booking class. So this isn’t fool proof.

On BA metal this should be fool proof (but other AAirlines are different). It's very common for the original class TPs to post initially and you have to request the additional ones. Did you follow it up?

Incidentally I AUPed on Friday and for the first time I can remember, the increased points posted correctly without my intervention. I'm travelling much less than I used to, and then rarely splash the cash so it's hardly a big data sample but it was a nice surprise all tjhe same.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:37 am

seems logical that if you are suckling on the teat of the taxpayer, you should utilize domestic companies wherever possible.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mctaste
seems logical that if you are suckling on the teat of the taxpayer, you should utilize domestic companies wherever possible.
I see your argument but respectfully disagree. Shouldn’t we be using the cheapest airfare if the taxpayer is paying? There have been plenty of occasions when BA coded fares are cheaper but I have had to fork out an extra £500 for an AA code.

also - since the JV - revenue on the Atlantic is shared anyway, so it makes little odds who I book with.
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by alextheengineer
I see your argument but respectfully disagree. Shouldn’t we be using the cheapest airfare if the taxpayer is paying? There have been plenty of occasions when BA coded fares are cheaper but I have had to fork out an extra £500 for an AA code.

also - since the JV - revenue on the Atlantic is shared anyway, so it makes little odds who I book with.
it is a balancing act for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Will the UK be still a part of the EU Air Treaty after Brexit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.