Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gel packs

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Gel packs

Hi. My daughter suffers from fibromyalgia and one thing that helps her is a heated gel pack from the chemist which she places around her neck and lower back.

She has an 8 hour flight coming up is there any way she would be allowed to take this in her hand luggage. Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Not sure where you are travelling from, but would you be able to pre-order and pick up at boots airside so you avoid potentially having it removed when going through security?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would give Boots in Heathrow a call, you can order items in advance there.
+44 20 8384 1006

There is a mechanism for getting medicines through security with a doctor's letter, but I am not sure what the reaction to a gel pack would be, they may not regard it as medicine.

Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
As with the long discussions about various types of cheese, marmite, etc, I doubt you will get a definitive answer before you travel. You will probably be at the mercy of the security staff at the airport on the day.

I would suggest a multi-pronged approach.
1- takes spares in checked luggage for the return.
2- buy airside if possible.
3- take a letter from a doctor stating that the gel pack is medically necessary.
4- do not draw attention to the pack(s) in hand luggage. Just leave in the bag and proceed through security.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by fruitcage
As with the long discussions about various types of cheese, marmite, etc, I doubt you will get a definitive answer before you travel. You will probably be at the mercy of the security staff at the airport on the day.

I would suggest a multi-pronged approach.
1- takes spares in checked luggage for the return.
2- buy airside if possible.
3- take a letter from a doctor stating that the gel pack is medically necessary.
4- do not draw attention to the pack(s) in hand luggage. Just leave in the bag and proceed through security.
5- Do not fly out of Manchester because the secondary screening there is inevitable.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by lovetoholiday
Hi. My daughter suffers from fibromyalgia and one thing that helps her is a heated gel pack from the chemist which she places around her neck and lower back.

She has an 8 hour flight coming up is there any way she would be allowed to take this in her hand luggage. Thank you.
I have the same condition and sometimes I use the adhesive heat pads from the chemist. There’s no problem with security in my experience though you can buy them airside at boots.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would give Boots in Heathrow a call, you can order items in advance there.
+44 20 8384 1006

There is a mechanism for getting medicines through security with a doctor's letter, but I am not sure what the reaction to a gel pack would be, they may not regard it as medicine.

A doctor’s note explaining the need for something not classed as medicine should cover it. Though I only have anecdotal evidence from others
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:05 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetGal
I have the same condition and sometimes I use the adhesive heat pads from the chemist. There’s no problem with security in my experience though you can buy them airside at boots.
I always carry a couple of these disposable ones for back pain in case of emergencies in my hand luggage internal flat pocket.

i have never once be checked, stopped or questioned about them.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:27 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I travel with injectable medication. This is in a cool bag with gel packs.

i do have a doctors letter with it and of course it is medication so not identical. All they do is swab it for explosives.

Gatwick are charming. Heathrow make you wait. Call supervisors and are vile. I have complained at the desk after security countless times.

ask your doctor for a letter. I would imagine it stands a decent chance of being ok.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Thank you all very much. She will be travelling from Gatwick to Barbados.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 2:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's not a dumb suggestion, you can take an empty hot water bottle through security, no issue at all, and then get it filled up via the lounge or persuading someone working in the restaurants/bars of Gatwick. On the aircraft they could further top it up mid flight.
GadgetGal, The_Editor and squawk like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately a hot water bottle doesn’t go right around her neck and cools quickly. Whereas the patches last 16 hours. Thank you anyway
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Odorless-Activated/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=heat+ski+heat+pack&qid=1579806320&sr=8-10 https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Odorless-Activated/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=heat+ski+heat+pack&qid=1579806320&sr=8-10

how about warmers like used in skiing?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by the phoenix
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand...806320&sr=8-10

how about warmers like used in skiing?
they’d be too small to warm the back and shoulders, which what the OP’s daughter needs
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I have just been to Barbados.

Tell her to have lunch at Tides. The Lone Star and The Cliff were good but Tides was exceptional.

Lobster Alive is a lot of fun as long as you don’t mind chatting to the lobster, posing for pics and then eating him !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.