Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting in LCY JFK-LCY-LIN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Question Connecting in LCY JFK-LCY-LIN

Mrs. FTF and I have this flight a few months out and are wondering what the connection experience will be. I've done some research on this site, and I've learned that there is no club (bummer but understand the reasoning) and also no typical connection lane, so you need to go out and reclear security.

The threads I've found are focused UK domestic connections, not inbound from the US, so they don't discuss customs and immigration, etc. Is it time-consuming there?

Also, for midday connections, etc, seem to typically suggest leaving the airport over the facilities there. We'll be coming in from a short redeye across the water and likely quite tired (especially since our day is starting on the west coast) and arriving at 7 AM, so we probably won't go find a bar or something in our few hours! And of course we don't know this part of London at all. Are there at least nice pastry and coffee shops to wait out the connection?

The baby bus seemed like fun and a nice change (and was favorably offered as a reward), but I guess there are some sacrifices vs typical LHR connections.

Many thanks for any light you can shed on this. ^

FTF
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
The BA2 is one of the first arrivals into LCY so arrivals immigration should be relatively quick. Presumable you are on one ticket so yiur bags will be checked through.

BA CW LCY used to have an arrivals service, can’t see anything to say it’s been stopped so this would be ideal and you can take a car to a nearby hotel, freshen up have showers and breakfast. You’d then gave to take a cab back so London City but this won’t be more than a few pounds. You could linger at the hotel,or return to the airport and there’s a few coffee shops airside that tick yiur boxes,

Alternatively if your bags are through checked and you don’t fancy the arrivals service you can take a direct DLR train to Stratford International. Here you have Westfield on your doorstep with an abundance of places to eat. The relatively new The Stratford is a boutique hotel and has a great breakfast area and just 20 mins away from LCY.

My preference would be the former and you can therefore sleep until the last moment on the BA2 have a coffee/smoothie to wake you and even take a breakfast to go.
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You can message the BA team at LCY via the CWLCY page on the BA website to ask about the arrivals service as it’s not listed on the website.

if you do want to use it and it’s still offered you have to pre book it at JFK - they ask at check in and the at the gate. Transport is arranged to take you to the hotel but not back to LCY.

LCY isn’t a hot spot for outside places to eat etc.

Westfield doesn’t open until 10 am though. DLR to Canary Wharf might be better as there will be some coffee shops open earlier to cater for the morning commuters. And the garden roof on top of the cross rail station might be a good place to sit.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
The BA2 is one of the first arrivals into LCY so arrivals immigration should be relatively quick.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
DLR to Canary Wharf might be better as there will be some coffee shops open earlier to cater for the morning commuters. And the garden roof on top of the cross rail station might be a good place to sit.
IME, even when LCY immigration appears to be heaving and the queue is well backed up inside the arrivals corridor, that may mean something like a 15-minute wait to get out: an eternity compared to normal LCY standards, but objectively not a long time at all compared to other airports where it could take you that long simply to get from the aircraft to the end of the immigration queue. And you'd be unlucky to have to deal even with this.

Canary Wharf actually has a good selection of "proper" eating places that are open early, not just coffee shops. Off the top of my head, at least The Alchemist, The Breakfast Club (naturally!), The Ivy and The Pearson Room are open for breakfast; also Carluccio's, if you count that as something better than a coffee shop.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
I think BA2 is literally the first arrival - indeed I've seen it land at 0630:15 - ie just beyond the curfew, when I've been on the DLR coming in for a 7am flight. Quite spectacular actually.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
If BA do offer an "arrivals" service at a local hotel - worth checking how long it will take you to get there / back. When I used it (quite a few years ago), the hotel BA were using at the time wasn't that close to the airport, so it was a bit of a nuisance.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
IIRC the arrivals service was provided at the Radisson Edwardian New Providence Wharf?

You can contact the Club World London City team to ask about it here: https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ness_team_form

(and if you do please report back!)

I think this would be about £15 back from there in a black cab. Cabs do all have card readers although unfortunately some of the ones in cabs near Canary Wharf are often “broken” if you are trying to make short journeys. So if you make this your plan I would personally have £20 in cash or ask the concierge to get me a cab and make clear I was paying by card. You could also use Uber.

Lots of good suggestions about Canary Wharf area food above. You could also pay for a day room at one of the hotels if you really wanted a shower.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:13 am

That hotel is now rebranded as a "Blu"
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
Thanks so much, everyone! Really appreciate all the helpful responses. We'll look into the arrivals service and more...something short since we'll be leaving later in the morning. Best to all!

FTF
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:19 am

Depending on how long your connection is you could also:

- Get the DLR to west silvertown then walk across the bridge to the ExCeL and pop into the Siemens Crystal. It has a nice cafe with good LCY views or if you have time the museum (all about creating sustainable urban environments) is fascinating and not expensive.

- get the DLR to Canning Town and Jubilee line and go to North Greenwich and wonder around the shops, restaurants and attractions at the o2 (millennium dome) and the cable car over to the ExCeL from where it is easy to get back to LCY.

- take the DLR to Woolwich Arsenal then train to Greenwich where there are lots of cafe’s museums reviving walks etc and also an easy cab ride back to LCY.

- take the DLR to Stratford and go for a dip in the Olympic pool in the aquatics centre and score a shower at the same time, but you will need your own towels.

Uber is a good option to but I often find Bolt (same service basically) cheaper in London - you get an offer (and I a discount) if you download it using my referral code at http://bolt.eu.

if it is a nice bar and a freshen up you want and money isn’t an issue then the new(ish) IC North Greenwich is lovely.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: BA GGL
The CWLCY arrivals service gives you use of the spa rooms at the Radisson Blu. They'll hold your bags while you do that and have breakfast.

It can take a little while to get there while the driver squabbles with the staff about who is paying him. You'll have to make your way back to LCY yourself.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
While we are on interesting things to do near LCY I will also mention the Meantime Brewery Tap Room which is 5 mins on the bus from North Greenwich. It’s a nice spot (but doesn’t open until Noon).
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You can message the BA team at LCY via the CWLCY page on the BA website to ask about the arrivals service as it’s not listed on the website.

if you do want to use it and it’s still offered you have to pre book it at JFK - they ask at check in and the at the gate. Transport is arranged to take you to the hotel but not back to LCY.

LCY isn’t a hot spot for outside places to eat etc.

Westfield doesn’t open until 10 am though. DLR to Canary Wharf might be better as there will be some coffee shops open earlier to cater for the morning commuters. And the garden roof on top of the cross rail station might be a good place to sit.
The shops at Westfield don’t open until 10 however The Stratford hotel is as are the coffee shops, places in the food hall, Balans etc but arrivals service will be the best option here for breakfast, shower and chill time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.