Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Someone is having a speakerphone conversation in First lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Someone is having a speakerphone conversation in First lounge

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: VA Gold
I don't think anyone is claiming you can't make a phone call in the lounge. Feel free to IMO, it's one of the benefits - a quiet, peaceful space where you can conduct your business (or drinking...) peacefully.

But it applies to everyone in the lounge, so if you are being obnoxious (i.e. playing a movie without headphones, having a conversation over speakerphone, etc) you are therefore detracting from others enjoyment of what is a key benefit of being in the lounge in the first place.

It's an airline lounge, not a personal one. If the latter is what you need, there is always a private jet. If your budget doesn't stretch that far....well, welcome to public transport
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:38 pm

Programs: QR Silver, BA Silver, FB Gold
In my travels around the Middle East, I am finding that this sort of thing is becoming an epidemic. Worse even than calls on speakerphone are people playing videos on speakerphone at full volume. They seem to think they are entitled

The other day I was on an Etihad flight where they were proudly advertising the availability of Wifi on board so that one may, amongst other things, "make phone calls". Is this what we are heading to? What a nightmare. The only saving grace is that the service is not (yet?) free, which presumably acts to restrain usage somewhat...........
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:11 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, LH Sen, EK & VS Gold, Amex Cent
Its not rocket science, just common courtesy. But unfortunately these days many feel entitled and go with the "its public I can do what I want, go private if you're so bothered by me". Which is absurd and shows a total lack of empathy and selfish attitude. Just be conscious of people around you and the local environment and that's it.

But I must agree, it is funny how speaker phone is so much more annoying than normal conversation. Maybe its the tinny sound that's so bothersome. That said, both apply the same, don't have a loud annoying conversation in a public place that is generally considered quiet and peaceful. Not complicated.

I've happily gone up to people to ask them politely to tone it down when super loud. I'd say works most of the time. But I fully understand many people don't have the will or comfort to do that. So that's what Lounge Staff are there for.
Dambus and Fatdickie like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
I was in a lounge in a certain African country last year, when another passenger in the area I was in began playing a video on his phone with sound through the speaker.

A very... particular kind of video.

I just sat staring at him until he turned it off. The young lady it featured seemed to be enjoying herself, though.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by typical
I was in a lounge in a certain African country last year, when another passenger in the area I was in began playing a video on his phone with sound through the speaker.

A very... particular kind of video.

I just sat staring at him until he turned it off. The young lady it featured seemed to be enjoying herself, though.
Was it a happy ending for all concerned?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Was it a happy ending for all concerned?
There was undoubtedly some interruptus.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:04 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
A very large number of posts, including the original which precipitated the carnage, have been deleted. Apologies to those of you who put considerable effort into the considered responses you made, but the thread is much better served with the total content removed.

If you suspect a member of not posting in good faith, rather than continue to give them oxygen please consider hitting the red triangle to report it to the mod team. This allows us to cut the supply off much quicker, with rather less angst and work involved.

NWIFlyer
Moderator - BA forum
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:15 am

Hi all, first post here on Flyertalk and this thread has really intrigued me.

Originally Posted by husseinbadr
In my travels around the Middle East, I am finding that this sort of thing is becoming an epidemic. Worse even than calls on speakerphone are people playing videos on speakerphone at full volume. They seem to think they are entitled
I also noticed the above when I was recently in the Middle East, and mainly in the UAE. However, I was in Jeddah for 7 days before heading to the UAE and did not witness such behavior in the hotel or at the Airport - I suspect that's down to Saudi's strict laws against ASB. What I noticed was either loud music or YT vids OR this trend of holding the phone flat and shouting into it followed by bringing up the speaker to the ear to hear whatever reply. When out and about in restaurants, we noticed how people would just suddenly play whatever from their phone at full blast as if to say "I don't like what is being played over the speakers so I'll play my own thing"???

Despite what I saw/heard in the UAE etc, it's nothing like the problems here (in the UK) with the obsession that some have to force their speakerphone conversations and/or music/videos onto others?

I was on an Iberia flight yesterday from RAK to MAD where someone in Economy (just behind the CE curtain) decided that he would annoy those on the other side of the curtain by having a loud speakerphone conversation just before take off. The conversation continued after take off until the signal died (the conversation was ended before the safety brief and then restarted once the cabin crew strapped in before take off). When conversation was no longer possible, he then decided that we all wanted to listen to Megadeath. Eventually, one of the cabin crew told him to quit it.

I'd just like to know what goes through the minds of such people? They ruin the lounges and they ruin the flights...I just don't get it?

Anyway, it's great to be here and THANK YOU for this thread!
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Captain Walker

I'd just like to know what goes through the minds of such people?
Sadly think the answer to your question is ‘nothing’. Anti-social behaviour like this has sadly become the norm, and if challenged the challenger (despite being the sensible party) is likely going to lose. And that is where engaging official staff instead of taking it upon yourself may help - at least in my experience, which has been posted around here previously.
T8191 and Captain Walker like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Sadly think the answer to your question is ‘nothing’. Anti-social behaviour like this has sadly become the norm, and if challenged the challenger (despite being the sensible party) is likely going to lose. And that is where engaging official staff instead of taking it upon yourself may help - at least in my experience, which has been posted around here previously.
Thanks for the reply.

I'd like to mention another episode which happened just before Xmas. Myself and others got into the lift to head up to the BA Business Lounge at Gatwick when this well dressed, suited and booted bloke suddenly started to blast out an Arabic news channel (it sounded like that) from his iPhone. He then placed the iPhone in the top pocket of his suit jacket. I and others looked at him in disbelief and all he did was smile at us.

He got his boarding pass scanned and off he went into the business lounge with his phone blaring - not a word from any of the lounge staff. He sat just across from buffet area on the inside of the lounge and the racket didn't stop until he left the lounge approx. 25 mins later.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Somebody recommended this before...

Get a really sweary rap song on Spotify and play it at full blast next to him. It will embarrass him, and hopefully make him realise he's being a knob.
I find playing Frozen's Let it go or Baby Shark works better as it has the benefit of sticking in their brain for the rest of the day.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andi28
I find playing Frozen's Let it go or Baby Shark works better as it has the benefit of sticking in their brain for the rest of the day.
And has now become my earworm for the rest of the day!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.