Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Long Haul Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA does kind-of do this already, via the seat fee mechanism.

So on both 787-8 and 787-9 there is row 30, which effectively has limitless legroom in front (it's by an exit door), ditto row 41 on the A350-1000. These attract premium seating fees and effectively status passengers get first dips on them for free - so less frequent flyers may struggle to get them.

So if you take a £260 return fare, LHR to PIT, the cheapest seat fee is £23 each way. But for row 30 it goes up to £75, so a £52 premium for the legroom.

I would actually suggest the problem isn't legroom so much as width. Unless you are in well into the final 0.5% of height distribution then there is going to room for your legs under the seat in front. But the width on the 787s and to some extent the 10-a-side 777s is going to affect rather more than 0.5% of the population.
Absolutely right and something that has only really become more to fore since the densification of the 777s to 10 abreast. Having done one by mistake on Emirates, it's been an active decision of mine not to fly them and I tell every I know not to select them. I found my only trip on the 787 (Etihad) uncomfortable for the first leg of 4hours, playing shoulder tiddlywinks with the passenger next to me (neither of us were particularly broad), and a mixed blessing on the 14 hr leg where I found a toddler strapped into a car seat next to me. No problem with shoulder space then, just burst of crying every so often.

The A380 and A350 are about 18" wide and you really notice the difference. Is it an Airbus thing to make planes wide enough for passenger comfort, but Boeing make them just that little bit too small? I know the airline ultimately chooses the seat, but to go from 9 to 10 seats across means it was a planned for option at the sales stage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.