Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA's 2020 lounge roadmap: LHR T5, ORD, EDI and TXL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA's 2020 lounge roadmap: LHR T5, ORD, EDI and TXL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Isn't the S-Bahn already in continuous operation?
A couple of trains a day, I believe, just to keep the air moving.

Incidentally, Pucci, I love your names for the terminals at BER (Legacy, Low Cost and Low Life) and am going to nick them as my own.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:31 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Posh word for a Descriptive POAP (plan on a page), pronounced poh-app. Sounds strategic, so extra points for that, but ultimately it's just getting the builders in.
My Dear - my life could be described as a POAP under such circumstances. Thank you for that.

Now - as you are not just a pretty face - do you think that Plan on a Page is something of a pleonasm? If it's a plan - hasn't it got to be on a page?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
If it's a plan - hasn't it got to be on a page?
No, it's not pleonastic, since a POAP has to be one page only. Rather than pages and pages of plans.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Now - as you are not just a pretty face - do you think that Plan on a Page is something of a pleonasm? If it's a plan - hasn't it got to be on a page?
Thank you for a word that I have either not seen or at least not noticed over the last 79 years. Now if I can only remember it until I have a chance to use it!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
OK, well let's put the Media Centre release then, I still don't think we've learned very much more here, but it's not your fault that today's Media Centre press release isn't telling us anything significant. I guess some people may think the marble inlayed tables with charging points is a significant detail, but that's the best I can find in here. I think my point about EDI lounge holds good, mind!

Customer to benefit from more relaxing atmosphere, extra charging points, and new interactive welcome

Lounges to be refreshed as part of £6.5bn investment for customers
Thursday January 16, 2020 – British Airways has today announced it is refreshing its First and Club lounges at Chicago O’Hare Airport, as well as revealing more details on its lounge improvements at Edinburgh and Berlin, all part of the airline’s £6.5bn investment plan for customers.

Due to be completed in Spring 2020, customers travelling through Chicago in the First or Club lounges will receive a personal and more interactive welcome in new look reception areas. The lounge will have a lighter and more relaxing atmosphere for customers with new décor, flooring and furnishings. There will be more charging ports, built into new marble tables, as well as specially crafted chairs to help customers to relax. In terms of dining, there will be redesigned serving stations which will continue to offer customers a wide range of local and international cuisines.

British Airways is also refreshing its lounge in Edinburgh. As in Chicago, customers will enjoy a fresh, brighter look, with new furniture and carpeting, as well as a more interactive welcome experience. There will also be enhanced levels of comfort with bespoke armchairs while reconfigured working and dining areas will give customers more room to work or eat.

The Edinburgh lounge serves customers travelling in Club Europe on one of the up-to-20 flights to London each day, from which all carbon emissions are offset by the airline as part of its commitment to achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2050. The lounge is also open to those connecting on to a Club World or First flight, or those with Silver or higher Executive Club status. Changes will be complete by the end of Spring 2020.

Finally, by early Spring customers using the airline’s lounge in Berlin will see new furnishings, carpet and décor, with up to 10 daily flights between the two capital cities.

Carolina Martinoli, British Airways’ Director of Brand and Customer Experience, said: “Lounges are incredibly important to our customers travelling in our Club and First cabins, or to those with Executive Club status, and they are rightly a focus of our £6.5bn customer investment. We’ve recently refurbished nine lounges across the network, and we’re looking forward to refurbishing more in 2020.”

As part of its 2020 lounge upgrade activity the airline will also be refreshing a number of its lounges at Heathrow Terminal 5 as well as redesigning and relaunching the Elemis Spa at JFK. More details on this will follow in due course.

Other investments (please see details in notes to editors for lounge activity) across the airline include the installation of the best quality Wi-Fi and power in every aircraft seat, fitting 128 long-haul aircraft with new interiors and taking delivery of 72 new aircraft. Last year the airline introduced its Club Suite, a new business class seat with direct aisle access.
No mention here of plans for the Galleries lounges at LHR. T5. Was that part left off, or have they said no more about it?

We have 2 trips in Club World from LHR back to the US this year, in March and August. Seeing this discussion makes me wonder if one of the lounges will be closed for refurb at some point.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:44 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by enzian
No mention here of plans for the Galleries lounges at LHR. T5. Was that part left off, or have they said no more about it?

We have 2 trips in Club World from LHR back to the US this year, in March and August. Seeing this discussion makes me wonder if one of the lounges will be closed for refurb at some point.
I think that announcement was for the "Spring" refresh. The 2020 Resolutions stated "Lounge luxury – the airline’s lounges at Heathrow, Edinburgh and Berlin will be refreshed to ensure customers are relaxed ahead of their flights. The Elemis Spa at JFK will also be re-designed and re-launched. " That suggests it may be later on in 2020.

Because the airport does actually close at night, usually building related work takes place between midnight and 05:00 hrs, and so my hunch is that they will just do it all then. So I doubt it will lead to wholesale closure. If that happens then I'm sure this forum will feature the all the details.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

BA didn't call out any specific T5 lounges in this release, we've been told those details and a timeline will come down the track. That, plus that ORD, TXL and EDI are all lined up for Spring, indicates to me that the T5 lounges will be a H2 proposition.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Thanks. I don't know what "H2 proposition" means, but I will just keep an eye on things. We missed a JAL First lounge experience at Haneda in November as it was closed for renovation, but it sounds like they won't totally close the Galleries lounges during the refurbishment?

it is our July flight I am mainly concerned about. We have a 4-hour layover between our Club World flight to LHR and our Club Europe flight to MIlan, so it would be nice to be able to use the lounge.

But come to think of it, these flights are on separate tickets. Will we even get lounge access with the Club Europe flight? ( No status).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:45 am

But come to think of it, these flights are on separate tickets. Will we even get lounge access with the Club Europe flight? ( No status).
Club Europe gets lounge access. Full details in the Lounge Access thread in the Dashboard.

H2 is Anglosphere business speak for the 2nd Half of 2020. H1 being the first half. Easier to use than Q3-Q4.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Thanks. I don't know what "H2 proposition" means, but I will just keep an eye on things. We missed a JAL First lounge experience at Haneda in November as it was closed for renovation, but it sounds like they won't totally close the Galleries lounges during the refurbishment?

it is our July flight I am mainly concerned about. We have a 4-hour layover between our Club World flight to LHR and our Club Europe flight to MIlan, so it would be nice to be able to use the lounge.

Hi,

H2 means 2nd half of 2020 ( Jul-Dec). I was in HND at the end of November and whilst dissapointed the JAL F was closed the Skyview Annex lounge was very quiet and pretty good ( the CX J lounge was good also).

On separate tickets if you have checked luggage it will not be checked through so you will need to pick them up and check in for LHR-Milan. You will have acceess to Galleries club ( North and South in T5 A and in T5B) by virtue of your CE tickets.

Regards

TBS

If
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:00 pm

EDI is now scheduled for its lounge update in April 2020. Someone did an audit of Newcastle's lounge furniture fairly recently too.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/undefinedEDI is now scheduled for its lounge update in April 2020. Someone did an audit of Newcastle's lounge furniture fairly recently too.

Hi,

Thanks. Do you know if it will be a closure or will it remain open whilst the update is done?

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Thanks. Do you know if it will be a closure or will it remain open whilst the update is done?
I was led to believe that the lounge would remain largely or wholly open throughout the update.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Just sitting in 1f on the ba1459 edi lhr flight having left the lounge. On entering the lounge the front desk agent said that the lounge would close in the last 2 weeks in April and would be probably be a full lounge closure. He said ba did not know yet what they would do with the pac but said probably vouchers would be given out

Regards

Tbs
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:20 pm

There is space in the other EDI lounges if it came to that, but yes, vouchers would probably be easier.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.