Wiki Posts
Search

KA -> BA connecting in HKG?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:43 am
Original Poster

KA -> BA connecting in HKG?

Does anyone have any practical experience of something like this:
21 Jul DAD -> HKG on KA 221 (economy) (arr 2040)
21 Jul HKG -> LHR on BA 28 (first) (dep 2345)

It's on two tickets, but I'm hoping under one booking.
Should I expect luggage to be checked through and we simply transit?
otherwise should I expect to do the whole arrival (immigration/baggage/customs) then departure (check in/security) thing?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
hi.

ka or Cathay dragon will check you through and should provide the boarding passes so you will follow the transit/transfer route. I would have your Ba details to hand at dad checkin

regards

tbs

going the other way Ba would not check you through
Lefly likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:52 am

From the Cathay forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...rate-pnrs.html
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Keep in mind though that there is no such thing as ‘separate tickets on same booking’ - it is either or. This means, in your case, that while luggage can be checked through you are still not protected in case of a potential delay causing you to miss the onwards flight from HKG.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Keep in mind though that there is no such thing as ‘separate tickets on same booking’ - it is either or. This means, in your case, that while luggage can be checked through you are still not protected in case of a potential delay causing you to miss the onwards flight from HKG.
Actually, it is possible to travel with multiple tickets booked under a single PNR. Our corporate TA does this as a matter of course, usually when combining BA flights where we have a route deal with flights on other carriers without a deal. For practical purposes, it is treated as a through ticket with the usual protections included.
Keter likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Assuming a single booking (one PNR, one or two tickets) then KA will check through to BA and protect your connection.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
hi.

ka or Cathay dragon will check you through and should provide the boarding passes so you will follow the transit/transfer route. I would have your Ba details to hand at dad checkin

regards

tbs

going the other way Ba would not check you through
Similar question, will MH check through for BA?
MH2715 to
BA34>BA1474>BA4014 (one PNR)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Similar question, will MH check through for BA?
MH2715 to
BA34>BA1474>BA4014 (one PNR)
hi

I believe mh will check through to Ba

regards.

tbs
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes according to the guide on the oneworld board here Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes according to the guide on the oneworld board here Bag interlining issues and OW policy changes (Combined threads)
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
hi

I believe mh will check through to Ba

regards.

tbs
Great news, thanks! ^
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Actually, it is possible to travel with multiple tickets booked under a single PNR. Our corporate TA does this as a matter of course, usually when combining BA flights where we have a route deal with flights on other carriers without a deal. For practical purposes, it is treated as a through ticket with the usual protections included.
Yup - you can have multiple tickets on a Single PNR. It helps greatly - other airlines can see the routing. One PNR can have multiple ticket numbers.

But for connecting flights on two different tickets, it will help Cathay greatly. But I don't think it provides any additional protection. If your Dragonair flight is 3 hours later and you miss your onward BA flight, I do not believe you have any protection at all?

Would like to be corrected!
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Yup - you can have multiple tickets on a Single PNR. It helps greatly - other airlines can see the routing. One PNR can have multiple ticket numbers.

But for connecting flights on two different tickets, it will help Cathay greatly. But I don't think it provides any additional protection. If your Dragonair flight is 3 hours later and you miss your onward BA flight, I do not believe you have any protection at all?

Correct, you can have several tickets on a single PNR but not the other way around. With different tickets you are not connecting and I don't believe you'll have any protection should things go wrong.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Officially I think not. I know of some cases where CX did help out, but those people were CX Diamond or OWE, and the "connection" wasn't in F! Not sure KA would be too happy to rebook a long-haul F (even on CX) as a result of a late regional flight in Y.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

i have put this to the test more than a few times in recent years, mainly with BA/CX split tickets. I’ve been met and whisked by Oneworld connection teams at HKG (in both directions) and misconnections have been accommodated proactively. The only thing I haven’t tested is EC261 duty of care/compo.
Sam Bee likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:13 am

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by Prospero
i have put this to the test more than a few times in recent years, mainly with BA/CX split tickets. I’ve been met and whisked by Oneworld connection teams at HKG (in both directions) and misconnections have been accommodated proactively. The only thing I haven’t tested is EC261 duty of care/compo.
I have not seen OW connection teams at HKG before, how do they look like?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.