Search

BDA bag drop

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
BDA bag drop

Hey all

It’s been a while since I posted, or travelled long haul for that matter.

I’m travelling BDA-LGW in J next month and wanted to know arrangements for bag drop, is it open all day? If not, does anyone have any recommendations for leavings bags somewhere? We have to vacate Airbnb at 11am leaving 9 hours until our flight.

Thanks in advance folks
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I doubt bag drop is available for more than a few hours before departure, the BA departure is kind-of the big event of the day, the rest of the services into and out of BDA are 737s and 320s from the USA/Canada.

However look at Manage My Booking / flight line / Check-in/Other ways to check in to get BDA specific information.

There is Grotto Bay Beach resport (where I was once "stranded") one kilometre over the causeway. I'm sure if you spend some money there in the restaurant/bar they'll look after your bags. Swizzle Inn is next-door-ish, that's just a large pub and dining establishment, which I've not used but I have heard it recommended.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I doubt bag drop is available for more than a few hours before departure, the BA departure is kind-of the big event of the day, the rest of the services into and out of BDA are 737s and 320s from the USA/Canada.

However look at Manage My Booking / flight line / Check-in/Other ways to check in to get BDA specific information.

There is Grotto Bay Beach resport (where I was once "stranded") one kilometre over the causeway. I'm sure if you spend some money there in the restaurant/bar they'll look after your bags. Swizzle Inn is next-door-ish, that's just a large pub and dining establishment, which I've not used but I have heard it recommended.
Thanks CWS, I thought that may be the case, checked in MMB and airport checkin opens 2.5 hrs before flight which I’m guessing means there’s no bag drop prior to this time as there’s nothing specifically mentioned about bag drop.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by duncas
Thanks CWS, I thought that may be the case, checked in MMB and airport checkin opens 2.5 hrs before flight which I’m guessing means there’s no bag drop prior to this time as there’s nothing specifically mentioned about bag drop.
That wouldn't surprise me, I can't think of any sensible reason for BA to offer a long check-in there. There is also a bit of a peak, in that some people arrive way before departure, so I wouldn't bother arriving until about 100 minutes before departure, to avoid the next surge when the regulars turns up.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:00 am
Original Poster

All sorted. After a very nice chat with the Airbnb owner, she’s letting us check out late and we can stay until we head to the airport. What a super nice lady she is!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold
All sorted. After a very nice chat with the Airbnb owner, she’s letting us check out late and we can stay until we head to the airport. What a super nice lady she is!
Pretty much all of the airbnb / guesthouse staff will let you keep your bags there. (They'll usually let you stay there all day, if they have noone else checking in the same day, so glad to hear you're in luck there)

Journey to the airport doesn't take that long. They have a Taxi App on the Island now, called Hitch, so you can use that (If you have Data or are still on WIFI). I don't know if you've been to BDA before, but basically the airport has pretty much nothing - I think the new terminal isn't due to open until July! So not much point getting there too early (6pm would be the earliest you should aim to get there for)

I used to do the 'last day' a couple of ways, depending if I was working on the last day (and time of year), February is cool (for the locals), but I have still spent plenty of time on the beach, even if the water isn't up to it's summer warmth, so depending on the weather:

1. Get taxi up to Grotto Bay, afternoon in the pool / beach, dinner & drinks in the swizzle, then quick taxi ride to the airport
2. Scooter hire (Or you can get a Twizzy now instead) for the day, head out to one of the beaches or sights (not that there are too many), back into Hamilton, have some food on Front Street, back to the apartment, then taxi to the airport

Lounge at Bermuda basically offers a couple of Baby Bels and a choice of three sandwiches
Main thing being to sleep as quickly as possible on the plane, as the flight is just over 6 hours, so if you stay awake for food, you'll only get about 3-4 hours sleep at most.
You may have done it all hundreds of time, in which case, enjoy again
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stuvoi
Pretty much all of the airbnb / guesthouse staff will let you keep your bags there. (They'll usually let you stay there all day, if they have noone else checking in the same day, so glad to hear you're in luck there)

Journey to the airport doesn't take that long. They have a Taxi App on the Island now, called Hitch, so you can use that (If you have Data or are still on WIFI). I don't know if you've been to BDA before, but basically the airport has pretty much nothing - I think the new terminal isn't due to open until July! So not much point getting there too early (6pm would be the earliest you should aim to get there for)

I used to do the 'last day' a couple of ways, depending if I was working on the last day (and time of year), February is cool (for the locals), but I have still spent plenty of time on the beach, even if the water isn't up to it's summer warmth, so depending on the weather:

1. Get taxi up to Grotto Bay, afternoon in the pool / beach, dinner & drinks in the swizzle, then quick taxi ride to the airport
2. Scooter hire (Or you can get a Twizzy now instead) for the day, head out to one of the beaches or sights (not that there are too many), back into Hamilton, have some food on Front Street, back to the apartment, then taxi to the airport

Lounge at Bermuda basically offers a couple of Baby Bels and a choice of three sandwiches
Main thing being to sleep as quickly as possible on the plane, as the flight is just over 6 hours, so if you stay awake for food, you'll only get about 3-4 hours sleep at most.
You may have done it all hundreds of time, in which case, enjoy again
Thanks stuvoi

I've been once before - 15 years ago and in economy! My life, income and expectations have changed somewhat since I was 27 We have a twizzy on hire until midday on our last day, I think the plan of action will be to drop that off at Reefs, walk back to the house (40 mins) incorporating lunch somewhere, have a final laze around then pack up and head to airport late afternoon.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks stuvoi

I've been once before - 15 years ago and in economy! My life, income and expectations have changed somewhat since I was 27 We have a twizzy on hire until midday on our last day, I think the plan of action will be to drop that off at Reefs, walk back to the house (40 mins) incorporating lunch somewhere, have a final laze around then pack up and head to airport late afternoon.
Hi Duncas,

40 minute walk is fine this time of year, I wouldn't want to do that in Summer
I normally stay in Hamilton, as most of the time I come over for work, but stayed in a few of the nice hotels outside upon occassion.
I go out there about 4/5 times a year. I think I prefer September/October the best, once the heat of summer has subsided a bit, but the water is still really warm. It's still a bit cool this time of year - the locals are sporting hats/gloves, although I am still in shorts.
(when I did the Triathlon at the end of April, the water was 22C and wetsuit optional, so if you do go in the water, might be worth bringing a shortie or something, if you want to go snorkling)
The Twizzy is great fun, we hired one last year for the week, when we came over on hols - a lot safer than the scooter hire.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
I'd just eat and drink in the Swizzle Inn all afternoon - maybe pop over to Bailey's for an Ice Cream!!

Another option would be to hire a Boston Whaler for a few hours - we lived in Bermuda for 2 years and this was the best thing we did - mind you we did drink far too much home made Rum Swizzle and it was the middle of summer. I can't remember where it was exactly but was just before you went over the causeway to the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.