Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA T3 to BA T5 - Have Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K
+1 for waiting to shower until you get to the F lounge in T5. I would just head out of T3 after getting my luggage and take the heathrow express to T5 (which is a free trip, although you have to get a ticket). Pop up in T5 and head to the First Wing for check in and then emerge in the F lounge to shower and grab a bite to eat.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by A P Yu
Yeah don’t bother with the T3 arrivals lounge at 1pm. They’ll be packing up for the day. Better to shower after heaving your luggage to T5.
AA arrivals lounge closes at 3.30 so 1pm would be a little early to be packing up.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Just make sure if you take HEX that you get on the correct train at T3.
I had a very stupid man in an official Heathrow jacket assure me that the train that was in T3 was going to T5. Nope, it went nonstop all the way to Paddington!
Fortunately we got right back on HEX at Paddington for free but it ate up about 40 minutes of our layover before departing for EDI from T5.
The AA arrivals lounge is quite nice but a 1pm arrival is not a great time to go there.
I would play it safe especially if you cannot interline bags from your departure airport and just get to T5 first.
The e gates are great improvement compared to my last transit in March 2019. But do see if FT has a shorter line than the gates and as a US citizen you are eligible to use the e gates. There are some youtube videos to explain the process.
Have a great trip
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
That is their policy but I’ve a 100% success in asking them to do this and makes the T3-T5 landslide transfer so much easier.
Which is the weirdest thing since I have had a 0% success rate since they changed their policy.

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
AA, like BA, does not check luggage through across separate tickets.
That has been my experience as well ever since the policy changed a few years ago.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Just make sure if you take HEX that you get on the correct train at T3.
I had a very stupid man in an official Heathrow jacket assure me that the train that was in T3 was going to T5. Nope, it went nonstop all the way to Paddington!
Fortunately we got right back on HEX at Paddington for free but it ate up about 40 minutes of our layover before departing for EDI from T5.
The AA arrivals lounge is quite nice but a 1pm arrival is not a great time to go there.
I would play it safe especially if you cannot interline bags from your departure airport and just get to T5 first.
The e gates are great improvement compared to my last transit in March 2019. But do see if FT has a shorter line than the gates and as a US citizen you are eligible to use the e gates. There are some youtube videos to explain the process.
Have a great trip
Good idea, probably best to just head straight to T5. Thanks for the tips.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wjbesh
+1 for waiting to shower until you get to the F lounge in T5. I would just head out of T3 after getting my luggage and take the heathrow express to T5 (which is a free trip, although you have to get a ticket). Pop up in T5 and head to the First Wing for check in and then emerge in the F lounge to shower and grab a bite to eat.
Sounds good, thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by wjbesh
+1 for this scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.