Wiki Posts
Search

Intl-Domestic Transit (BA-AA) at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:51 pm
WLX
Original Poster

Intl-Domestic Transit (BA-AA) at MCO

Hoping for some advice on transit at MCO as never been there before. I am booked on the following itinerary:

Slightly stupid way to get there but there is a method to the madness (mainly avoiding corporate TA forcing me into travelling VS/DL with no lounge access or seat selection)

My TA confirmed the connections are legal although clearly close to MCT. So this is now ticketed!

But not having been to MCO I have no idea how set up they are in practice for passengers making international to domestic connections.

How risky is this itinerary really? Will there be agents pulling people with connections out of the queue as at JFK? I do not have Global Entry, but will be a BA Gold by the time I take this flight if that makes any difference.

The other annoying thing is I will have to renew my ESTA before this trip, so it will be my first trip on that ESTA which can sometimes cause issues (SSSS etc)
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:15 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Essentially it’s no risk since it’s one booking so if you miss your connection AA Will rebook you.

However I guess your preference is not to end up in that situation. In which case 1 hr 36 mins is a bit tight. You are unlikely to get any expedited immigration. Tbh you may feel more comfortable booking a longer connection just for your own piece of mind.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Unless it’s a slow day for international arrivals at MCO, I think this one might be a bit tight, especially with checked bags. It meets MCT, but MCT at US gateways often fails to take into account longer immigration times for non-citizens/residents who do not have GE or similar.

I don’t go into MCO as an international arrival that often these days, more frequently connecting from elsewhere, and I would wonder how many INT> DOM connections happen there, given that it’s not a hub for any of the major US carriers. You’ll have to clear immigration (never seen anyone being pulled out for connections, but maybe it happens), get any checked bags and clear customs, then head on the shuttle to the main terminal. Then you reclear security, which can be painful at MCO, and get the shuttle back to the gates for the onward flight.

I don’t think BA Gold would help you, but getting TSA Pre on the MCO-CLT BP might speed things up a bit. I would hope for a lightly loaded flight and go HBO on this one, with a seat as close to the front of WT as possible. Might be one of those times when it would have been better to go VS/DL, though can understand your point about seat selection.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:41 pm
WLX
Original Poster

Thanks, that’s helpful.

I will be travelling HBO with an aisle seat as far forward as I can make it.

It’s ticketed now so we may as well see how it goes. The fare difference with alternative itineraries seems to be pretty silly plus a change fee. Might as well take the risk.

I suppose the small amount of connecting traffic means MCO isn’t really set up to expedite proceedings for people in a hurry. I have seen people pulled out of JFK queues and I know at some other airports (ORD?) they give connecting pax little cards. Was hoping for something similar here but that was perhaps a bit naive.

My main concern is not so much not making the connection as encountering a grumpy ticket agent who insists I could have made it and it was my fault and treats me as a no-show. When I worked for a (non-OW) airline I saw agents do this. But I have heard AA is pretty good with this sort of thing.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:45 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Immigration can be a nightmare at MCO. It took my sister and her family 2.5 hours a couple of years back. However, that was during the school holidays.

I think it's a very tight connection, and not one I'd be comfortable with.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Both are "legal" connections, but neither are within SCT (Sensible Connection Time). True that your connections are, of course, protected, but depending on why you are headed to CHA, there may be quite a wait to get you there if you are stuck at either MCO or CLT.

A lot of hassle and discomfort in return for the relative value of seat selection and lounge access.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:32 pm
WLX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Both are "legal" connections, but neither are within SCT (Sensible Connection Time). True that your connections are, of course, protected, but depending on why you are headed to CHA, there may be quite a wait to get you there if you are stuck at either MCO or CLT.

A lot of hassle and discomfort in return for the relative value of seat selection and lounge access.
I will feel a much greater sense of accomplishment now if it all works out. I shall have to report back whether I make it.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:47 pm

There is a later set of connections and AA are unlikely to be tricky about rebooking you.

Personally I think this will be tough, Orlando is well known for being a nightmare on arrival and departure! But I would imagine this would be a pretty quiet time, so if you are speedy and lucky you stand a chance.

Also keep an eye out for a schedule change, it's a little close in but you never know, then you could see about getting rebooked directly to Charlotte
Old Jan 7, 2020, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by WLX
My main concern is not so much not making the connection as encountering a grumpy ticket agent who insists I could have made it and it was my fault and treats me as a no-show. When I worked for a (non-OW) airline I saw agents do this. But I have heard AA is pretty good with this sort of thing.
I would not be too worried about that. Since you are not booked on the last MCO-CLT flight of the day, even if it is your fault, as long as you present yourself at the AA ticket counter within two hours of your original flight's scheduled departure time, AA's "flat-tire rule" provides for you to be re-accommodated at no charge on the next (available) same-day flight.

And, of course, if your flight into CLT is substantially delayed, causing you to mis-connect, you would not only be re-accommodated, but you might also be looking at some EC261/2004 compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.