Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LATAM leaving OneWorld [30 April 2020]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lefly
Not very happy as I was planning to visit Easter Island and other locations with them in the near future. Oh well...
Me too, was looking at Christmas 2020 and planning on booking 11 months in advance to try and get availability.
Do you think avios bookings would be honored if you booked say a year in advance and they were to leave before your flights?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:22 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Because Delta isn't as big in South America as American
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by englisha
Me too, was looking at Christmas 2020 and planning on booking 11 months in advance to try and get availability.
Do you think avios bookings would be honored if you booked say a year in advance and they were to leave before your flights?
Yes you are ticketed on the flight at that point, how you paid for the ticket is irrelevant.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
They supposedly decided to leave OW and hook up with Delta due to the Chilean govt refusing the joint venture with AA. Why would they subsequently approve one with DL?
Not a JV with DL, but a minority stake - may be judged differently...

Add me to the disappointed here - South America is definitely on my list, and having LATAM in OW would have helped. That being said, I'll probably still get there, on a combination of BA, AA and IB - I just won't earn any TPs while there. Does leave a big hole in the smallest alliance though.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by etiene
Not a JV with DL, but a minority stake - may be judged differently...

Add me to the disappointed here - South America is definitely on my list, and having LATAM in OW would have helped. That being said, I'll probably still get there, on a combination of BA, AA and IB - I just won't earn any TPs while there. Does leave a big hole in the smallest alliance though.
According to this article they will form a revenue sharing joint venture, not just the 20% stake

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...from-oneworld/
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
According to this article they will form a revenue sharing joint venture, not just the 20% stake

https://www.headforpoints.com/2019/0...from-oneworld/
Hadn't seen that bit of news - but yes, it does pose the question of what is different about an LA/DL JV vs an LA/AA JV? The Chileans might take a view that the market positions of DL and AA are different - I don't know how their respective networks compare in South America. Not convinced you could argue they are meaningfully different in North America. But on the face of it it seems like a big risk to take if there is the possibility of the DL JV being knocked back in the same manner.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Bugger. That seriously damages my "visit South America via NZ on a DONEx RTW ticket next year" plans.
nancypants, TedToToe and etiene like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Bugger. That seriously damages my "visit South America via NZ on a DONEx RTW ticket next year" plans.
Assuming a twelve month notice period on the withdrawal, and if you're aiming for SH spring/summer, you might just be able to squeeze it in.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Sen, Delta Skymiles Gold
Assuming they will follow Delta over to SkyTeam, many pax will transfer to that alliance. OW has many holes in their network. South America was one of the few parts of the world that they practically controlled, so this will no doubt hurt the alliance.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gordon0808
Assuming they will follow Delta over to SkyTeam, many pax will transfer to that alliance. OW has many holes in their network. South America was one of the few parts of the world that they practically controlled, so this will no doubt hurt the alliance.
OW has long had weak intra-European coverage compared to the other two alliances. The strength was always over the Atlantic - both North & South. At this stage we don’t know if IAG will continue to persue a JV with LATAM without AA. I guess the LATAM, DL/VS/AF/KL is enough for LATAM.
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:58 am

A shame. If only due to the fact that LATAM avios redemptions are (were?) frequently exceptional value-for-avios.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Virazuno
A shame. If only due to the fact that LATAM avios redemptions are (were?) frequently exceptional value-for-avios.
For sure but their domestic Chile flights are exhorbitantly expensive and incredibly poor value for a LCC product. They’re being eaten alive by Jetsmart so Delta’s interest will be the long haul opportunities.
Clearly the 10pct Qatar had didn’t stop Delta so could Cathay be next?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:07 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Delta's strategy is interesting. It almost feels as if they're picking airlines and trying to rebuild their own alliance without AF/KL. If Virgin manage to get more slots and build a network in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if DL and all the airlines they own pulled out of ST full stop.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What a pity. We've got some LanPass kms and were saving them to redeem on Oneworld flights in the future. Collected them through credit card spend so no big deal if we can't. Never flown Lan but have enjoyed flying TAM long and short haul over the years mostly when they were with Star Alliance.

It'll be interesting to see what plans if any Oneworld has for S America.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: BA*GGL, A3*G, AF*P, VS*S
If this actually happens, I'd do my annual TLV-EZE run via FCO, earning a smidge over 50,000 Alitalia miles, for instant Freccia Alata status, instead of the usual BA/IB/LA/AA combos. Not sure if I'm a good example but this year I'll hit 2,500 TPs with BA, as my convoluted Latam jaunts rack them up, but in future I'd be closer to 1,500 + that status in SkyTeam, which in turn would make me less of a slave to OneWorld in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.