Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Situation in the Middle East and possible implications for BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Situation in the Middle East and possible implications for BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2020, 1:11 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
This wa

This was my route to Dubai a few days ago, leaning on the Iraqi side of the two borders. Seems to be business as usual.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Iran produces 20% of the worlds crude oil demand, the US can't step up production to meet that demand if Iran was blockaded. The nature of the US oil reserves is very different than those in the Middle East as well, the rock is of much poorer quality, so the wells tend come on strong initially and decline quickly. .
There is also a non-technical reason for the US being unable rapidly to increase exports of oil to the world. The USA still prohibits the export of raw crude to keep their domestic oil prices low. Currently this rule is being skirted by shipping out partially processed product and due to the current oil and gas glut in the USA, this isn't affecting US domestic prices so the US Government doesn't care. However these exports are limited by processing capacity - while not needing an entire refinery, it still needs a processing plant and the US oil well cannot be connected directly to a tanker. The US Government could also change the rules or enforce them differently. Transport capacity inside the USA is also an issue, with many wells relying on railway tankers rather than pipelines.

So global supply deficits cannot be made up from the USA, even if US wells could produce more at short notice.

Regarding airline routing, I am sure that many airlines are very sensitive to the possibility of being caught in the crossfire. The shooting-down of MH17 is on every airline operations person's mind, and the US Navy has had targeting issues in this area in the past (IR655). I'm not surprised that more cautious airlines (and BA is certainly among those) would deviate from the Persian Gulf area in the near future.
navylad likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
flew into LCA last night was sat next to a us military contractor in row 1, he had several colleagues in club too sounds like the US are gearing up for something major in the region,
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:04 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
So our long weekend in Dubai in early Feb not such a great idea then ?
T8191 and AnaTravel like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by T8191
It was interesting last month on our QR flight from DOH to CPT ... we flew north from DOH to the Iranian coast before turning right through the Straits of Hormuz and finally heading south to CPT. And that was just a local inter-Arab squabble.

I suspect there will be some ‘interesting’ ramifications after today’s event. Mercifully we’re not going anywhere near Arabia in the foreseeable future.
Bad timing for me as I was just about to book flights to the ME; to include Cairo in January, UAE in February and Israel in March. Some other destinations to be booked and routing through problematic Doha also. I'm going to hold off for a week and see what happens.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:50 am

Programs: BA
A selfish question here, I have a flight to SIN in less than 2 weeks, is BA avoiding Iran airspace?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Silver
Like you I am also travelling to SYD via SIN on just over 2 weeks time. From Flightradar 24 BA are still overflying Iran. However SIA are diverting around Iran for their LHR - SIN flights.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:16 am
WLX

Originally Posted by alvinlwh
A selfish question here, I have a flight to SIN in less than 2 weeks, is BA avoiding Iran airspace?
Looks like maybe they are avoiding it but also perhaps they don’t need to cross it anyway.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...905Z/EGLL/WSSS
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by WLX
Looks like maybe they are avoiding it but also perhaps they don’t need to cross it anyway.

https://uk.flightaware.com/live/flig...905Z/EGLL/WSSS
Actually if you look over the last 4 days it looks like they're actively avoiding both Ukraine (twice North, twice South) and Iran.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not if you look at the BA15.
alvinlwh likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:20 pm

What's a "contractor"? To me it's a building company but seems to represent something more in the USA world.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 2:48 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Greenpen
What's a "contractor"? To me it's a building company but seems to represent something more in the USA world.
It is an individual or a company that provides goods of services to another organisation on the basis of a contract.

in this context, it likely means someone who works for a private military company, often contracted by the US government to provide private security services. There are also terms security contractors or private military contractors.

They are often individual who are ex military, SF or close protection police.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
So our long weekend in Dubai in early Feb not such a great idea then ?
I would not change Dubai travel plans. I returned to Abu Dhabi on Thursday (and will drive to Dubai over the weekend) and still feel safer here than in most other parts of the world.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:23 pm

What's a "contractor"?

I get the new speak of someone providing a military service but I personally prefer the old speak word of mercenary. I have no issue with the profession but would prefer to call a spade a spade.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by Obruni Boy
What's a "contractor"?

I get the new speak of someone providing a military service but I personally prefer the old speak word of mercenary. I have no issue with the profession but would prefer to call a spade a spade.
a mercenary is by definition both foreign to the hiring ‘army/giverment’ but also someone individually employed- sorry but that isn’t calling a spade a spade IMHO, they are very different things!
Fatdickie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.