Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Need 15 Tier Points Before April 2020 - Easiest Way To Fly CodeShare

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Recently moved back to USA and just realized I will be 15 tier points shy to maintain silver status after April. Given I have a bit of time, I'm hoping to find a way to fly in USA on a BA code share. Not quite sure how to do it? I thought by going to BA and plugging in an AA flight/route would do it, but it came up with no matching routes. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Is there a particular reason why you are looking for a BA codeshare? You can earn Tier points on a regular AA flight number.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
You get tier points for flying aa, but they will not count as your 4 qualifying flights. Do you already have the 4 qualifying flights? If so, just book AA and do not worry about codeshares.
Cymro likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier des Internautes Amables; BAEC
Sounds like OP is short of the minimum BA flight requirement- hopefully they will respond and clarify.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:49 am
Original Poster

Here is what my BA Avios membership looks like (resets April 2020)

To retain Silver membership you need an additional :

15 Tier Points - 585/600
OR
50 eligible flights- 9/50

If I book on AA, do I use my BA Avios frequent flyer number instead to get the credit of tier points?
Thanks again.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Gina2003
If I book on AA, do I use my BA Avios frequent flyer number instead to get the credit of tier points?
Thanks again.
Yes, it is that simple. When you book you will see a frequent flyer line, it defaults to AA's own scheme but you can switch the drop-down to BA quite easily. You will get between 5 and 210 TPs on all revenue AA flights, and BA.com will tell you the exact amount by fare bucket. Just select AA in the drop down list on the online calculator.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
yes, that is all you need to do.

As you are currently Silver, this will also get you AA lounge access on your AA domestic flights, a level of priority boarding, fast track etc.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

i went back to BA.com and used the calculator (with AA selected) to look up BOS-PSP (already booked on for March). It showed the Avios miles/points, but 0 for tiers?? What am i doing wrong?
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: QF WP
i went back to BA.com and used the calculator (with AA selected) to look up BOS-PSP (already booked on for March). It showed the Avios miles/points, but 0 for tiers?? What am i doing wrong?
is there a direct flight on that route or does it have a connection somewhere?

assuming you are transiting (which seems to be the case) you have to put in the two segments individually- so when I assume you transit ORD, it shows 5+ TP for each leg, depending what bucket you’re booked into
Gina2003 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
One frequent cause is if you put in a non existent flight! So if you are really doing BOS-DFW-PSP (to take one example) then you need to enter BOS-DFW, then add the numbers to DFW-PSP (see the note above the form which says "The calculator is for direct flights only. For connecting journeys, enter each flight separately, then add the amounts together to get your total."). There are some sectors missing in the calculator, such as new routes, but reach out here with the specific routing information and someone will tell you what you should get.

You best do it via PHX if you can, or at least have a 2000 mile flight in there, to bump up the Tier Points. CLT to PHX unfortunately isn't over 2000 miles, but BOS to PHX is.
nancypants and Gina2003 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
I assume you are connecting through PHX, ORD, or DFW. For the calculator to work properly you must enter each of your connecting flights separately. For example, you must enter BOS-PHX and PHX-PSP to obtain the Avios and tier points you will earn for each flight.

From the britishairways.com Avios Flight Calculator:
The calculator is for direct flights only. For connecting journeys, enter each flight separately, then add the amounts together to get your total.

Example: for Edinburgh to Miami via London, enter Edinburgh to London, then London to Miami.
nancypants and Gina2003 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:42 am
Original Poster

Voila! I am doing BOS-PHX-PSP - just checked each leg and that outbound trip is enough to retain silver! THANK YOU everyone for your patience and help. Happy holidays.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Oh yes that's over 2000 miles so 20TP minimum. Glad you're sorted
Gina2003 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.