Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cityflyer - Upgrade on board on non full flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

I’ve just witnessed an upgrade on board from ET to CE on a Cityflyer service to Dublin.

It looked as though the upgrade message came from the iPad.

Neither cabin is full.

I’m just curious what the trigger for the upgrade might have been? When I saw the CSM walking towards economy I was secretly hoping it would be for me... it’s my birthday today and I’m unexpectedly flying to Dublin due to not so happy family circumstances.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Happy Birthday and sorry for your circumstances.

If it's Cityflyer, it could be just to balance the plane. Or someone was very lucky.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 6:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
someone they are hoping will start buying CE for the future flights.

Its being used as a sales tool
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Happy Birthday and sorry for your circumstances.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Originally Posted by ringingup
I’ve just witnessed an upgrade on board from ET to CE on a Cityflyer service to Dublin.

It looked as though the upgrade message came from the iPad.

Neither cabin is full.

I’m just curious what the trigger for the upgrade might have been? When I saw the CSM walking towards economy I was secretly hoping it would be for me... it’s my birthday today and I’m unexpectedly flying to Dublin due to not so happy family circumstances.
Sorry to hear & happy birthday nonetheless.
I was kindly upgraded on my birthday by the CSM last year seconds before pushback, that was very nice but also awkward. He was keen to go above and beyond, however.. I got a signed card by the crew and captain!
Maybe next year!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It could have been a space available service recovery as my understanding is they're usually given onboard once loads are finalised. Just another possibility.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
I had an onboard upgrade from GLA-LGW earlier this month - the cabin manager was on her iPad and then came and asked me if I would like some more space.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Only upgrades I have ever had on BA were either last flight as Gold (before dropping to Silver ) or first flight as a newly upgraded Gold. One of those was on LHR-RTM on-board with space In both cabins (and a few days before a LHR- MEX...)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 12:52 pm

On this note - what do you think about the concept of upgrading onboard using cash or avios?

I know some airlines do this with attractive deals.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:00 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
On this note - what do you think about the concept of upgrading onboard using cash or avios?

I know some airlines do this with attractive deals.
They had an upgrade with cash trial a few years ago but it really didn’t go anywhere so it was dropped.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
As a GGL, when I travel Economy on BA SH, I sometimes get upgraded. Usually the purser comes with his/her Ipad and looks at me and ask if I'm a GGL and ask me if I wish to move to Club. It is always Mixed fleet crew that does that
Old Dec 20, 2019, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thank you all for your kind messages. I'm back in London now. Things in Dublin have got better but they're still a bit up in the air. My trip to South America in 8 days that is meant to be a celebration of my 40th birthday may end up being cancelled, shortened or postponed. We're not a position to make any decision now, but when we do, I may need your help.

Off to Italy tomorrow to see the my side of the family.
TTmex likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.