Search

Someone wants to buy our IAG shares

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Someone wants to buy our IAG shares

Good evening,

today we had a telephone call from an investment company wanting to make Mrs Boyfrombiot an offer for her IAG shares. Has anyone else had such a telephone call? We thought it strange. Could someone be trying to increase their holding for some reason?

Anyway, Mrs Boyfrombiot’s handful of shares are not for sale.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:22 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Could be a telephone fishing scam trying to get bank details.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fraudsters-preying-shareholders-offers-good-17388328
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes it screams boiler room to me. I would contact IAG Investor Relations at the earliest opportunity. IAG is freely traded so there is no point anyone paying more than the stock market rate.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Any sort of financial cold-calling gets short shrift from me. Send me a letter, and I’ll think about it.

The curse of the ‘instant communication’ world we now live in,
strickerj, YacozA and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

The share value dropped 15.6p on closing today (at 624.4p) . Personally, I wouldn’t consider selling my holding below 650p.

PS, did you get a further divvy last week?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold, TK Smiles and Miles, Hilton Honors
Yes she did!!!

Originally Posted by Prospero
The share value dropped 15.6p on closing today (at 624.4p) . Personally, I wouldn’t consider selling my holding below 650p.

Yes Mrs Boyfrombiot did get a small extra dividend payment last week. Every little helps.

As far as the person trying to buy her shares they were told in no uncertain terms where to go....

Cheers
Steve
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
How would a prospective buyer get her phone number? Scam.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by fruitcage
How would a prospective buyer get her phone number? Scam.
Exactly.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
As far as the person trying to buy her shares they were told in no uncertain terms where to go....
... and did you explain to them that they could take a convoluted route to get there - which would earn them more avios and TP's? You are an FTer after all
Old Dec 17, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Do you actually hold them, or does your broker hold them for you? For most people their are held in a brokerage account, rather you having the the physical certificate. If the broker holds them, they they should be the point of contact, not you. Another BA IT breach? Perhaps the shareholders list has been hacked?
Old Dec 17, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Prospero

Was wondering what that email from my broker was for.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Boyfrombiot
Good evening,

today we had a telephone call from an investment company wanting to make Mrs Boyfrombiot an offer for her IAG shares. Has anyone else had such a telephone call? We thought it strange. Could someone be trying to increase their holding for some reason?

Anyway, Mrs Boyfrombiot’s handful of shares are not for sale.

Cheers
Steve
This is almost definitely a scam. See FCA website - extract below: https://www.fca.org.uk/scamsmart/sha...ler-room-scams

Even seasoned investors have been caught out, with the biggest individual loss recorded by the police being £6m.

How share and bond scams work

Share and bond fraud usually comes out of the blue, with scammers cold-calling investors after taking their phone number from publicly available shareholder lists.

The high-pressure sales tactics can also come by email, post, word of mouth or at a seminar.

These scams are sometimes advertised in newspapers, magazines or online as genuine investment opportunities. They may even offer a free research report into a company, or a free gift or discount on their dealing charges.

You will often be told that you need to make a quick decision or miss out on the deal.

The scammers might also try to sell you shares or bonds in a company that doesn’t exist.

If you already own shares in a company, you may receive a call from someone offering to buy them at a higher price than their market value.

The scam will request the money upfront as a bond or other form of security, which they say they’ll pay back if the sale doesn’t go ahead – but you’ll never hear from them again.
Ldnn1, cgtechuk and gorps1 like this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Jagboi
Do you actually hold them, or does your broker hold them for you? For most people their are held in a brokerage account, rather you having the the physical certificate. If the broker holds them, they they should be the point of contact, not you. Another BA IT breach? Perhaps the shareholders list has been hacked?
IIRC, when BA used to offer the shareholders discount, you had to hold them to get the discount otherwise it was some convoluted process to get some number from the broker and then submit that to BA Shareholder services to get you code for a discount. I think. It's been a while since it all existed.

Speaking of which, I bough my shares via Abbey National's Sharedealing service, which is no more and I don't believe Santander offer anything similar. If I want to sell do I just go to another broker and give them my shareholders reference if I want to sell? Not that I do want to sell them. They are currently worth three times what I paid for them a looooong time ago. Just need to know for future reference.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The purpose of the financial markets is to establish a price by putting willing sellers together with willing buyers. As IAG is publicly-traded, there is absolutely no reason for someone wishing to purchase its stock to call individual share holders.

This is a self-evident fraud. Do not engage. Do not say anything and hang up.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by T8191
The curse of the ‘instant communication’ world we now live in,
Indeed, Uncle T. We've had the telephone for only around 100 years! Such a new invention.

(But I totally know what you mean!)

rb211.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.