Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible issues with flights to/from/above France on Thursday 5 December

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc

There is a widespread strike scheduled to affect public services in France on Thursday 5 December with effects extending all the way to 7 december. While the main ATC union are not calling a strike, it is likely that some staff will join the broader national movement anyway with a potential for cancellations and delays. I thought I would start this thread so that anyone scheduled to fly from, to, or above France on that day can get the heads up and monitor the situation (or even consider "plans B" in case of connections) and we can collectively update the thread with information on specific flights affected as information comes in (often the day before).

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 2, 2019 at 1:22 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Good point, and indeed there is a customer advisory out on MAD and BCN. BCN in particular gets badly hit by ATC restrictions over France for obvious reasons.

If you are travelling to BCN or MAD on 5, 6 or 7 December, you can ring up and move your flight to before 5 December, or from 8 to 12 December included. One change only allowed, redemptions are in scope for this too.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Spanish public holidays December 6 and 9 - what a coincidence?

Haven't checked EF but I suspect every flight out of BCN/MAD is close to a big fat zero on December 5.

I ha\ve got MAD to LHR for a Christmas do whilst Ms Modo has Mad to MAN direct on Dec 5. Groan....
Old Dec 2, 2019, 1:50 pm
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
My partner and I are flying to GVA on the 6th, with a moderately tight connection to a coach to Annecy. Can anyone reasonably predict how this route might be affected? It's not clear to me how much a reroute over Germany might add compared to the direct usual path. Even if GVA is added to the advisory, we can't change our dates off work at such short notice.

Last edited by dsf; Dec 2, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President Circle
I'm flying to NCE on 7th and returning on 8th. Does the end of rebooking window on 12th mean I cannot postpone the trip by one week (i.e. 14-15th)? Seems quite unfair to expect me to reschedule a weekend away into a midweek trip!

edit: in fact, 14-15th isn't really very convenient either. would 21-22nd be completely out of question?
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by s1362083
I'm flying to NCE on 7th and returning on 8th. Does the end of rebooking window on 12th mean I cannot postpone the trip by one week (i.e. 14-15th)? Seems quite unfair to expect me to reschedule a weekend away into a midweek trip!

edit: in fact, 14-15th isn't really very convenient either. would 21-22nd be completely out of question?
The current advisory is pro active and likely to be adhered to fairly strictly do in my view, it’s very unlikely they would accept to move you to 21-22 without any issue specifically affecting your flight (which may well run normally).

If your flight is announced as significantly delayed or cancelled, ba will likely be more generous and likely accept your new dates, but you’d only know if that’s the case the day before or on the day.
s1362083 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsf
My partner and I are flying to GVA on the 6th, with a moderately tight connection to a coach to Annecy. Can anyone reasonably predict how this route might be affected? It's not clear to me how much a reroute over Germany might add compared to the direct usual path. Even if GVA is added to the advisory, we can't change our dates off work at such short notice.
Impossible to tell - it’s not only about longer path but about 1) many aircrafts doing the same and 2) cumulative delays.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The problem with the strike that's been announced is that it's open-ended. Meaning that if the French government doesn't back down on its pensions overhaul, we can expect some lines of workers to carry on. From the word on the ground it's mostly rail/tube workers for now, but France has a history of so-called "sympathy" strikes which extend to different workgroups. Thursday's strike is almost a general strike, so far it's rail, tube, lawyers, judges, ATC, teachers and most of the civil service and public utilities -- there have also been talks in hospitals and people who don't normally have a right to withdraw their labour (police, fire service etc.). This could drag out all the way to Christmas and beyond.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Basel, Geneva and Zurich have now been added to BCN and MAD where rebooking is now allowed, see my earlier post above.
orbitmic, wrp96 and florens like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott lifetime platinum
I’m supposed to be going to Paris on the evening of the 8th. My French customer seems to think that it will be fine, I have visions of getting to CDG and no further.

This trip is on a refundable ticket, if chaos reigns on Saturday I must just can it. Also booked to go back the last week before Christmas - that one’s not refundable.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Basel, Geneva and Zurich have now been added to BCN and MAD where rebooking is now allowed, see my earlier post above.
Ah, I have a BSL out 13th back 15th that I want to cancel or move to Jan, do you think I stand a chance? I'm 24hrs out...
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by alex67500
Ah, I have a BSL out 13th back 15th that I want to cancel or move to Jan, do you think I stand a chance? I'm 24hrs out...
Unfortunately not at the moment, it would have helped if you were flying on 5 - 7 December. If you move one leg due to the strike they tend to be amenable to changing the other leg too if you present a plausible reason, but at the moment you appear to be out of scope.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alex67500
Rebooking is only allowed for for travel on 5-7 December 2019 atm.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:40 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by s1362083

Last time I flew BA to Nice when there was a French ATC strike (mid-2018), we routed over Belgium, Germany, Switzerland and Italy, turning to come into French airspace at the very last moment before landing in Nice. Coming back was similar, this time because of weather.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:44 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Eurocontrol will have a teleconference with French authorities and ATC soon (maybe already done ?) and will update via Twitter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.